Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM

161 posts, read 699,710 times

Advertisements

What is the most "urban" neighborhood in your city?

Choose the neighborhood which would best represent the most "urban" neighborhood in your city. By "urban" I'm talking about a neighborhood (strictly in terms of the built environment, so architecture, streetscaping, street widths, etc) that could NOT be found in a suburb. The quintessential "urban" neighborhood in the U.S. is SoHo in New York because it has narrow, cobblestone streets, with old, cast iron buildings.

Here's what I was thinking so far, please feel free to edit or add to my list.

New York- SoHo
Boston- North End
Philadelphia- Passyunk Square
D.C.- Dupont Circle
Pittsburgh- Southside Flats
Cincinnati- Over-the-Rhine
Detroit- Mexicantown
Chicago- Fulton Market
NoLa- French Quarter
St. Louis- Downtown West
L.A.- Westlake
San Francisco- Tenderloin
Seattle- Pioneer Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Atlanta- Midtown

(I cannot believe you left this off your list! You're forgiven...)

Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Oh sorry, and the only other main criteria being don't mention your downtown or CBD as the most urban area.

One other...
Baltimore- Fells Point

Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,408,647 times
PHX--Downtown Tempe

Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,464,810 times
From what I've seen and heard, your list seems to be quite accurate.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Choose the neighborhood which would best represent the most "urban" neighborhood in your city. By "urban" I'm talking about a neighborhood (strictly in terms of the built environment, so architecture, streetscaping, street widths, etc) that could NOT be found in a suburb. The quintessential "urban" neighborhood in the U.S. is SoHo in New York because it has narrow, cobblestone streets, with old, cast iron buildings.

New York- SoHo
Boston- North End
D.C.- Dupont Circle
Detroit- Mexicantown
Chicago- Fulton Market
NoLa- French Quarter
St. Louis- Downtown West
L.A.- Westlake
Seattle- Pioneer Square
I never really thought of Fulton Market (West Loop) to be the most Urban Neighborhood in Chicago. I would Say Near North Side (River North/Gold Coast) takes that title.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM

The nice thing about Chicago is that you can argue 20 different neighborhoods as the most "urban" including ones like Pilsen, East Lakeview, Uptown, Wicker Park/Noble Square, East Rogers Park, etc. I think Fulton Market Street between Halsted and Racine might not have been the most interesting street 75 years ago, but today, I think that street and Lake and Randolph, the whole area, is just so different than so many other places in America. Plus, River North and the Gold Coast is becoming the gold standard for how so many cities are trying to replicate their downtowns (edgy/loft buildings next to elegant and posh). Because that area has become so popular (particularly River North), it's lost a bit of its flair.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Miami = SoBe
Orlando = Thorton Park

Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
The nice thing about Chicago is that you can argue 20 different neighborhoods as the most "urban" including ones like Pilsen, East Lakeview, Uptown, Wicker Park/Noble Square, East Rogers Park, etc. I think Fulton Market Street between Halsted and Racine might not have been the most interesting street 75 years ago, but today, I think that street and Lake and Randolph, the whole area, is just so different than so many other places in America. Plus, River North and the Gold Coast is becoming the gold standard for how so many cities are trying to replicate their downtowns (edgy/loft buildings next to elegant and posh). Because that area has become so popular (particularly River North), it's lost a bit of its flair.
I agree 100% with you, my parents own a condo at Fulton/Halsted next to Carnivale, I just dont find the neighborhood to be all that interesting. Many residents dont use public transportation, the only grocery store is a huge Dominicks, and its still a bit too industrial for my liking.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM

196 posts, read 614,481 times
Quote:

New York- SoHo
Boston- North End
D.C.- Dupont Circle
Detroit- Mexicantown
Chicago- Fulton Market
NoLa- French Quarter
St. Louis- Downtown West
L.A.- Westlake
Seattle- Pioneer Square
What about Society Hill for Philadelphia? Has those cobblestone streets, plus more storefronts than Passyunk Square. Choosing Passyunk seems to me like choosing Allegheny West on the North Side of Pittsburgh instead of Southside Flats--more densely built, but less urban bustle.

For D.C, Dupont Circle isn't a bad choice, but it is a little spread-out and gardenly. What about Adams Morgan proper, or someplace east of downtown like Chinatown?

Also, for LA, I suspect West Hollywood takes it, if that counts as LA.

More knowledgeable people than I have already taken up Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City