Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful overall?
Seattle is more beautiful 65 60.75%
San Diego is more beautiful 42 39.25%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I guess I just don't see what is so unique about Seattle's scenery. Plenty of places with mountains, cold water, and lots of trees.

There's nothing unique about Seattle's scenery, but it is a beautiful place. It really can't compare with SoCal though, one of the most beautiful and naturally diverse areas in the world. These people are all just cold weather freaks. Weirdos that just love being bundled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
I guess I just don't see what is so unique about Seattle's scenery. Plenty of places with mountains, cold water, and lots of trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
There's nothing unique about Seattle's scenery, but it is a beautiful place. It really can't compare with SoCal though, one of the most beautiful and naturally diverse areas in the world. These people are all just cold weather freaks. Weirdos that just love being bundled up.
The thing that makes Seattle's scenery unique to me is the Sound, the two visible mountain ranges, and dense pine tree coverage. The architecture is also pretty modern which also looks nice. Not to say no other city looks like that, but it's a less typical look than what San Diego has.

Last edited by Mezter; 07-31-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The thing that makes Seattle's scenery unique to me is the Sound, the two visible mountain ranges, and dense pine tree coverage. The architecture is also pretty modern which also looks nice. Not to say no other city looks like that, but it's s less typical look than what San Diego has.
The sound is nice but if there's one thing San Diego's scenery has a strong suit for its the coastline and I will go as far as to say more than Seattle.

The water in San Diego can change in color and appearance from lighter blue to darker, in Seattle its dark and looks deep and tame in comparison.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
The sound is nice but if there's one thing San Diego's scenery has a strong suit for its the coastline and I will go as far as to say more than Seattle.

The water in San Diego can change in color and appearance from lighter blue to darker, in Seattle its dark and looks deep and tame in comparison.
I think San Diego bay and the coastline looks really beautiful, but not quit as impressive as Puget Sound.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
Quote:
Because preferring to wear flannel and boots over shorts and sandals makes me a "freak".

Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times
Quote:
Actually Seattle's scenery is very unique. Name one other major city in the world that has the same scenery Seattle does (with the dense evergreen forest, water views, two mountain ranges, and a large volcanic peak looming over the city. I've never been to or seen pictures of any other major modern city that has all of these elements.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually Seattle's scenery is very unique. Name one other major city in the world that has the same scenery Seattle does (with the dense evergreen forest, water views, two mountain ranges, and a large volcanic peak looming over the city. I've never been to or seen pictures of any other major modern city that has all of these elements.

Well of course it's going to look different. It rains a lot up there. I would hope it would be green, constant rain and gloomyness isn't beautiful to me though and I would get depressed as hell up there. I can only take so much of that.

Seattle cannot touch the weather, clear blue skies, beaches/coastline, mediterranean feel of SoCal. To me it's paradise, but most posters on here clearly love the gloomyness. Hey, more power to them. SoCal's diversity is more beautiful than anything Seattle has. We has amazing coastlines and beaches, amazing mountain ranges as well as some that can be snowcapped. We can see the blue skies and sun consistently. The mediterranean weather makes the area feel like paradise. Not to mention we even have deserts for those that like that.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Well of course it's going to look different. It rains a lot up there. I would hope it would be green, constant rain and gloomyness isn't beautiful to me though and I would get depressed as hell up there. I can only take so much of that.

Seattle cannot touch the weather, clear blue skies, beaches/coastline, mediterranean feel of SoCal. To me it's paradise, but most posters on here clearly love the gloomyness. Hey, more power to them. SoCal's diversity is more beautiful than anything Seattle has. We has amazing coastlines and beaches, amazing mountain ranges as well as some that can be snowcapped. We can see the blue skies and sun consistently. The mediterranean weather makes the area feel like paradise. Not to mention we even have deserts for those that like that.
Alot of people dont like year around sun and warmth, It's old after a awhile. Even Sydney Australia has Seasons. And gloomyness here is over exaggerated, It's not rainy and gloomy year around. Its bright and sunny 4 months out of the year with another 3 with unpredictable weather. Winter is the only season with gloom and constant rain but it's not that bad. Up here in the PNJW we have amazing coastlines, Snowcapped mountains, rain forests, Majestic lakes, and if you love hot weather just head over to eastern washington when it hits triple digits most of the summer.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,740 times
I think they're more or less even, it depends on one's taste

San Diego is really nice and also the desert landscape can be cool, fascinating, I don't think like those who say a brown terrain just sucks

this being said I like more the dramatic location of Seattle, I like more a place full of labirintic waterways, cold in the winter, with snowcapped mountains as backdrop, the huge sunlight excursion between the seasons etc

so I vote for Seattle

Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
There are quite a few cities that look similar to San Diego on the Mediterranean Sea, Australia, and Southern Africa with Palm trees and mountains/cliffs, and pretty much any city with palm trees looks somewhat similar, well that's my opinion anyways. Not saying there's nothing unique about San Diego's scenery. Just not as unique as Seattle imo.
Quote:
If you think cities like Miami, Tampa, Honolulu, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix etc..look like San Diego then I don't know what to tell you. Clearly any place with a palm tree might as well be San Diego.
Quote:
I'm not changing my opinion that Seattle is quite beautiful and so is San Diego in very different ways, but I will absolutely point out the rich diversity that San Diego has that Seattle doesn't even compare with. There really isn't another area that looks that similar to San Diego, it is one of the most bio-diverse rich areas in the United States, representing over 18 different vegetation communities and also 1000s of different animal species just in the county. The presence of a Palm Tree doesn't make one city look just like another.
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/pds/mscp/...ywide_2008.pdf

A beautiful city isn't just about the skyline, downtown and urban neighborhoods; the areas surrounding it as places to visit and explore should also come into consideration. I love the forests of the Pacific Northwest and the majestic Sound (I'm from the mountains of Northern California near Yosemite) but I can get forests down here, and a whole lot more not far away at all- Joshua Tree just as one example is pretty magical place. My neighbor and good buddy is a biologist for the state and takes me out to beautiful unique places around here all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City