Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Colorado Springs Vs Tucson
Colorado Springs 45 50.00%
Tucson 45 50.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Desert living doesn't really appeal to me, so I'd go with Colorado Springs. However, I think Tucson has the brighter future. It's CSA is above 1 million now, isn't it? And it seems like it's trying harder to be a big city than Colorado Springs is.

I think Tucson will win this, because I don't think anyone knows anything about Colorado Springs.
Lol “desert living doesn’t appeal to me” from a person who lives in a desert... oy vey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Lol “desert living doesn’t appeal to me” from a person who lives in a desert... oy vey
Maybe I’m missing something, because Denver is definitely not a desert in the same way Tucson is.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-29-2017 at 12:48 PM..

Old 10-30-2017, 03:49 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
These seem like two very different places. I heard Colorado Springs was a conservative military town, secondary to Denver, on the Front Range. Tucson is a liberal college town, secondary to Phoenix, in the Sonoran desert. Both have large military presence.

One of these cities is 40 minutes from the Mexico border and is a sanctuary city for refugees and Mexican immigrants. I'll let you guess which one it is. That same city is the 5th poorest in the United States and because of that has some of the cheapest housing costs in the United States, even in comparison to the Rust Belt. This city is very eclectic, missing the radar of many chains, and thus has a lot of mom and pop restaurants and it's own unique culture in comparison to its primary. Jobs here are scarce, but at least living here is affordable.

The other city I do believe is in commuting distance to one of the most rapidly growing metros in the West, being closer to the primary city than the other one. Thus will carry much higher costs and rents. Because of this, I assume this city is in a much better state economically. I heard this city also has better mountain access than its primary, which is debatable, that may make it a target for more growth in the future when its primary finally reaches its tipping point of being TOO expensive (as if it isn't already). The other city's primary doesn't have an issue with affordability.

I know OP says they seem "more similar than different" but I strongly disagree with that. Being a secondary city is not enough to be similar to one another.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:08 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times
I am from Colorado Springs and live in Arizona.

I would prefer Tucson myself, but certainly not for economic or quality of life reasons.

I think Tucson has really good weather. Mid 60s in the winter for high temperature and upper 90s in the summer on average for high temperatures is good weather to me.

Colorado Springs has extremely nice summer weather but the cold weather starts in October and lasts until May sometimes, with the exception of a dozen days of downslope winds that are very warm, gale force winds.

Colorado Springs and Tucson both are way beneath their weight when it comes to economy. Colorado Springs has a low unemployment rate but there a massive amount of underemployment. Tucson has a moderate unemployment rate and lots of underemployment.

Both, Colorado Springs and Tucson are very government spending dependent. Even, the private sector jobs tend to be subcontractors and government subsidized.

Colorado Springs is cleaner in my opinion. Tucson has lots of extremely historic neighborhoods many of them have seen much better days, but they have some decent historic areas mixed in.

Colorado Springs has extremely high rents compared to Tucson. Colorado Springs and Tucson are both bargains when it comes to home prices. Colorado Springs might seem more expensive, but the homes are so large on average that they comperable to Tucson on price per square foot.

I prefer the scenery around Colorado Springs more as it is much more lush and green in the spring and summer. Tucson is rather lush for a desert, but there just aren't as many pine trees in the city itself.

There are more than a few people who live in Tucson in the winter and Colorado Springs in the summer. Tucson does have excellent winters and Colorado Springs has excellent summers in my opinion.

Both, Colorado Springs and Tucson would be a tie for me but I just like the weather in Tucson much more so I prefer Tucson.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:28 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Hmm... both are all about the location but the cities themselves are pretty meh.

If CO Springs could ever really get its economy in gear and steal some of Denver's thunder then it would definitely 'win'. You could say the same thing about Tuscon though.

My bet is CO Springs will do better in the future economically because it will be the retirement destination for a lot of Denverites and midwesterners, moreso than it has been in the past. Also I think it's highly unlikely the military will ramp down there; they seem to be closing other bases and relocating them to CO Springs, which has turned into a military hub of sorts.

I think the biggest decider for your average city dataite would be which climate and landscape they prefer. I can't really say which one I'd like better.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Tucson

Old 11-03-2017, 01:06 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times
I live in Phoenix but I visit Colorado Springs frequently, and I've never been to Tuscon lol!

Colorado Springs is one of the best scenic cities I've been so far. That view of Pikes Peak is very exhilarating, you can see it pretty much everywhere in COS. I can live there if given an opportunity.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I live in Phoenix but I visit Colorado Springs frequently, and I've never been to Tuscon lol!

Colorado Springs is one of the best scenic cities I've been so far. That view of Pikes Peak is very exhilarating, you can see it pretty much everywhere in COS. I can live there if given an opportunity.
I always tell people how underrated I think Colorado Springs is. If it was a bit bigger I think it would get more props. Very beautiful city with a lot to do for a city of just 700k (Especially if you're into the outdoors). It's already a mini tourist destination but I think that it could be an even bigger one if it promoted itself better.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:29 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Tucson

Other than Pike's Peak I'm not too crazy about the Springs.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:56 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
...Colorado Springs has a conservative reputation in a state that is solidly libertarian.

Economically, culturally, etc. Which city has greater potential?
Colorado isn't libertarian. I know that's the perception, but "up close and personal" (i.e. living in the state), it's the same old blue and red lines in the sand. Most people fit well into the standard Dem and Repug stereotypes.

Can't speak economically, but Tucson has far more culture. COS doesn't stray far from either white military or the white hiking & beer fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City