Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,904,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Texas is one of the blackest. Historically just AA, but now, has one of the highest Nigerian populations in the US.
Actually that depends on how one defines "AA".

Culturally and historically, Texas has a long deep history of Blacks that spoke Spanish, French, and various Creole languages. Latin blacks were first Africans in the region. There is also intersections with the Creole/Latin cultures and peoples of the states and regions that formed the vast Louisiana Territory and the Viceroyalty of New Spain and also subordination to Cuba. So culturally and historically the blacks are different from the English speaking Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Delaware and its small cities have a high percentage of blacks. I think the state has the largest black population percentage wise in the northeast outside of Maryland (here we go...), but being Delaware, flies under the radar.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
A few people mentioned Dallas, TX. It's odd, because while there are definitely many black people in the Dallas area, it almost seems like unless you go to the Southern part of Dallas, you really don't see many black people. I live in North Dallas and it's not unusual to go a whole day without seeing a black person unless I look in the mirror (lol), so I see why Dallas doesn't have a reputation as a "black city," even though there are plenty here and it's a great city for educated, upwardly mobile blacks.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:19 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Very informative post. I didn't know slavery in New York was official. I had heard about slaves being captured and taken back to the South from there.
I believe that you were referring to Solomon Northup: Solomon Northup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Delaware and its small cities have a high percentage of blacks. I think the state has the largest black population percentage wise in the northeast outside of Maryland (here we go...), but being Delaware, flies under the radar.
This is correct and its Black percentage is higher than or on par with many Southern states.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I knew the South had the highest population(maybe even the ONLY population) of rural blacks. I live down here. But usually, down here, you have combination of predominantly black rural and Urban. I agree, most Northerners who don't have family down here, don't realize how many blacks down here, live in the country.
I think those that have visited or know about where their family comes from in the South realize this. Here is info on the towns my parents came from: Tchula, MS Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Mullins, SC Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Especially Wilmington Delaware.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm sure Boston's been mentioned, but just in-case it hasn't, Boston is a city that fits this thread perfectly.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
That's just the city/county, right? Miami isn't a big city, despite the skyline. The metro area is where it draws its size. The city proper is 19% Black, so 76K. The metro area is 21% Black or 1.1 million.

Miami had quite a bit of Black flight after the fair housing act. Traditionally black areas (Overtown, Liberty City) declined in population and towns like Miramar, Miami Gardens, Opa-Locka, North Miami, and Allapattah gained in Black population (the last is in Miami).
Yeah, I'm not sure how cognizant people are of South Florida/Miamis Black population, especially compared to how the Blackness of other Southern cities like New Orleans, Atlanta, and Memphis are portrayed, in the media. It's weird, because numerically Miami/South Florida might be behind most Southern Metros, but ahead of most non-Southern metros. More unique to South Florida is the almost even distribution of Non-Hispanic Whites, Blacks, Hispanics in the metro(more than a million of each).

Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Crazy lopsided suburban vs city black population ever?
Suburban Atlanta - 1,481,020
City of Atlanta -226,894

Last edited by Aceter; 10-13-2014 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City