Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sunny beach state would you rather live?
Florida 45 22.73%
Hawaii 60 30.30%
South East Texas 9 4.55%
Southern California 84 42.42%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times

Advertisements

The Miami region welcomed 13.9 million overnight visitors last year: Miami-Dade County sees record tourism in 2012 - Business - MiamiHerald.com

Los Angeles, 41.4 million: L.A. posts record tourist numbers in 2012 - Los Angeles Times

To be fair, beaches aren't the only draw in Los Angeles. But you're fooling yourself if you think Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, and the South Bay beaches don't lure TONS of visitors every year. Besides, isn't Orlando the most visited city in Florida? It's not because of its beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Maybe mild weather but not beach weather and tourism statistics between Florida and California prove that. Even on Florida hating CD beach polls Florida has pawned CA on beaches. Florida receives tens of millions more out of state tourists than California despite being half its size and the primary draw is it's beaches. Summer, maybe CA, it is hot but there's a sea breeze and the water is warmer and cleaner, the rest of the Florida beaches by a mile. I've noticed going to the beach to swim and enjoy the water was a strange concept to Californians, but after living in CA for years I realized why it is. I will say CA beaches do have beautiful topography, but as for the actual beaches not so much.
How about answering the question posed by this thread: "Which sunny beach climate would you prefer to live"? In answering this question, it's helpful to consider what percentage of your time time you spend living in ocean water, as opposed to, you know, the air. Why do you think a sport like beach volleyball was invented and popularized in Southern California instead of some place like Florida?

And despite the incessant gnashing of teeth on CD about SoCal water temps, there are thousands of people in the water as I type this.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
There are more beach activities and stuff going on out there in the SoCal cities than Florida for sure along with IMO better coastal communities. The water is a bit chilly though for a longer portion of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Sounds great if you spend 99% of your time in the water. Once you get out, you have to deal with oppressive heat and humidity. No thanks.

If So. Florida is anything like Galveston in the summer, even a jump in the water provides little respite. Coastal California in contrast, wrote the book on ideal sunny and mild weather.
No, Miami stays 7-8 degrees cooler than the gulf coast cities on average plus has an almost constant sea breeze. Probably worst is the SW side of FL in that regard.

The beaches in both places are completely uncomparable also imo, so fla wayyy better.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I would not put South Texas in this convo. However, people are judging Texas off of Galevston and points east. Corpus Christi and ESPECIALLY South Padre Island are nothing like Galveston. SPI is difficult to get to as most Texans I bet have never been there. Just throwing out it out there. The water is actually blue and the sand white to brown in SPI.

*Edit*As for me, even though I like the gulf coast beaches on Florida better, I will take it like this: South Florida, Hawaii, then any California Beach. I though it was just South Florida. Since its the entire state than for me its easily Florida.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Well to be fair... the OP conflated beaches and climate with his question. Is he asking what area has better beaches? Better climates AT the beach? Better cultural climate at the beach? It throws a wrench into the beaches comparison.... not that it matters because this topic has been discussed ad nauseum.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would not put South Texas in this convo. However, people are judging Texas off of Galevston and points east. Corpus Christi and ESPECIALLY South Padre Island are nothing like Galveston. SPI is difficult to get to as most Texans I bet have never been there. Just throwing out it out there. The water is actually blue and the sand white to brown in SPI.

*Edit*As for me, even though I like the gulf coast beaches on Florida better, I will take it like this: South Florida, Hawaii, then any California Beach. I though it was just South Florida. Since its the entire state than for me its easily Florida.
The OP said South East Texas which to me means Galveston over to LA border. As you said, the beaches of South Padre Island and Corpus are far superior to Galveston. I don't think it would make a big difference in the poll though but hate to see Padre Island being dismissed.

I voted Southern California for the combo of weather, terrain, and beaches.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
The OP said South East Texas which to me means Galveston over to LA border. As you said, the beaches of South Padre Island and Corpus are far superior to Galveston. I don't think it would make a big difference in the poll though but hate to see Padre Island being dismissed.

I voted Southern California for the combo of weather, terrain, and beaches.
Ahh. I paid more attention to the title and didnt notice the poll. Southeast Texas and South Texas are not the same thing.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Quote:
The Miami region welcomed 13.9 million overnight visitors last year: Miami-Dade County sees record tourism in 2012 - Business - MiamiHerald.com

Los Angeles, 41.4 million: L.A. posts record tourist numbers in 2012 - Los Angeles Times

To be fair, beaches aren't the only draw in Los Angeles. But you're fooling yourself if you think Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, and the South Bay beaches don't lure TONS of visitors every year. Besides, isn't Orlando the most visited city in Florida? It's not because of its beaches.
Florida receives almost 92 million international and out of state visitors a year and is on course to eventually pass 100 million, California only receives half that which is a fact. Your statistics are flawed because they leave many discrepancies that need to be cleared up 1.They only show Miami Dade county, not Broward or Palm beach which everyone on this site likes to exclude out of Miami's metro 2. Does Los Angeles's stat include the whole metro? 3. Do they include people from So Cal or Nor Cal as tourist which Florida's doesn't. Also most who visit Orlando usually end up going to nearby Florida beaches, particularly Clearwater/St. Pete . The fact of the matter is Florida draws tens of millions more out of state visitors than California and the primary draw its beaches. Also the main thing that Californians on this website try to use against Florida beaches is humidity, but funny how tourists flock to inland Orlando resorts and water parks, 2 of which are the most visited in the world by far. Why hasn't Disney or Universal built a water park in California if its weather is so conducive to being in a bathing suit? Honestly I'll gladly defend California on its merits it's my favorite state but its beach weather and beaches just aren't that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
How about answering the question posed by this thread: "Which sunny beach climate would you prefer to live"? In answering this question, it's helpful to consider what percentage of your time time you spend living in ocean water, as opposed to, you know, the air. Why do you think a sport like beach volleyball was invented and popularized in Southern California instead of some place like Florida?

And despite the incessant gnashing of teeth on CD about SoCal water temps, there are thousands of people in the water as I type this.
And thousands more in Florida's coastal waters who chose to travel there from other states while CA is generally Californians who have no other choice. I'm not saying there aren't tourists that visit California beaches but there definitely not the draw like Florida. Tourists come to Florida it's beach weather. There's plenty of beach volley courts along Florida beaches too, as well as a plethora of other activities so that point is really irrelevant. Volleyball was invented in MA who cares if CA was the first to play it at the beach in 1920.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Temps in Miami Beach (as of 9PM): 84 degrees (feels like 93), scattered showers. Those are night temperatures, people.

Santa Monica is at 65 right now. The high today was 72. I'll take those temps, thanks.

PS: Los Angeles is always ranked ahead of Miami in visitors. I've seen NYC, Orlando and Las Vegas ranked ahead of L.A. at various times, but never Miami. Orlando has a huge reason for ranking near the top in annual visitors, and it isn't the beach:

As for supposed lack of water parks in Southern California, here's a list of the top 5: Top 5 Water Parks in Southern California - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Quote:
Temps in Miami Beach (as of 9PM): 84 degrees (feels like 93), scattered showers. Those are night temperatures, people.

Santa Monica is at 65 right now. The high today was 72. I'll take those temps, thanks.

PS: Los Angeles is always ranked ahead of Miami in visitors. I've seen NYC, Orlando and Las Vegas ranked ahead of L.A. at various times, but never Miami. Orlando has a huge reason for ranking near the top in annual visitors, and it isn't the beach:

As for supposed lack of water parks in Southern California, here's a list of the top 5: Top 5 Water Parks in Southern California - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Florida still beats CA beach weather and stats show that sorry. I was just outside and it's fine at night no showers with a nice breeze no need for a sweater. Miami and LA switch places on international tourism which is ridiculous considering Miami is one third its size. Oh and those waterparks are weak compared to Florida and definitely do not draw anyone but local Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City