Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in the Florida Keys+Miami or the Hawaiian Islands?
The Florida Keys + Miami 59 44.03%
The Hawaiian Islands 75 55.97%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Not including it, just pointing out that Keys can indeed have nice beaches despite common myth on here.
Huh? Siesta key is up close to Tampa, it's not part of the Florida Keys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it doesn't prove anything of the kind if your beach is nowhere near the Keys, that's just dumb...have you ever been to the Keys? Miami? Florida? What is your perspective being based on here anyways?
You're missing the point I was trying to make. A Key is a smaller islands chain, I know Siesta Key is not in the Florida Keys. However it's still a Key, which happens to have a great beach, it stands to reason that the Florida Keys also have some great beaches too despite claims to the contrary on this forum.

The furthest south I have been in Florida is Miami, I've been there a lot of times and always love it. Never been to the Keys yet.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
You're missing the point I was trying to make. A Key is a smaller islands chain, I know Siesta Key is not in the Florida Keys. However it's still a Key, which happens to have a great beach, it stands to reason that the Florida Keys also have some great beaches too despite claims to the contrary on this forum.

The furthest south I have been in Florida is Miami, I've been there a lot of times and always love it. Never been to the Keys yet.
Almost all the beaches on the entire east coast and in florida are barrier islands or 'keys' if you will, still not sure what point is...?

Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
brother, your logic machine is seriously broken

» The Unconventional Beaches of the Florida Keys

Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
If I were staying between six and twelve months, I'd choose Hawaii. It's more beautiful. Anything longer than a year and I'm going with Florida.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Why do people think Hawaii is more beatiful? Because it has mountain? Just because the keys are mostly flat doesn't mean they're less beautiful than Hawaii?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Why do people think Hawaii is more beatiful? Because it has mountain? Just because the keys are mostly flat doesn't mean they're less beautiful than Hawaii?
Yeah, the mountains are a big part of it. It looks very lush (in pictures). It still has active volcanos, which I think are pretty cool. And it would be a chance to experience foods that I can't get here.

The biggest drawback is the isolation obviously. It wouldn't be a problem in the short term, but in the long term I'd miss easy access to certain concerts, professional sports, shopping, etc. I get bored after a week in the Caribbean so I couldn't imagine being even more isolated.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 08-23-2013 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Well, one substantial difference between Seattle and Hilo is that Seattle is overcast and grey for much of the year, even when it's not raining... you can have days on end where they're no rain, but there's also no break for clear skies in that time, which can go on for months.
Hilo is quite a bit cloudier than Seattle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

Hilo, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Hilo gets far more rainy days and rain in general. It's a tropical rainforest. Seattle weather is, as you said, more off and on — stretches of clear days and then stretches of nothing but cloud or rain. I still think the rain and gloom of Hilo won't feel as bad because it's warm at the same time.

And Hawaii has places with much better weather.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
No annual hurricane worries in Waikiki!!!

I voted for Hawai'i because I don't want the hurricane worry, however...
Now that I think about it, the Hawai'i school system isn't very good, huh?
And it's very isolated... And I love to travel. Would be so much more expensive to travel from Hawai'i than the Keys/Miami...

I'll take Miami/Keys...

And I'm a sports fan...
No sports teams in Hawai'i (and the Pro Bowl doesn't count as sport!!!)
In So Florida, I can see my Braves play, I can see my Hawks play, and I can still get to GA to see the Falcons, or just drive to Tampa once a year for the Falcons vs Buccs game

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, the mountains are a big part of it. It looks very lush (in pictures). It still has active volcanos, which I think are pretty cool. And it would be a chance to experience foods that I can't get here.

The biggest drawback is the isolation obviously. It wouldn't be a problem in the short term, but in the long term I'd miss easy access to certain concerts, professional sports, shopping, etc. I get bored after a week in the Caribbean so I couldn't imagine being even more isolated.
I think both places are equally beautiful. Don't think people should knock the Keys, even if you prefer Hawaii its not like Florida and the Keys are ugly by any stretch of imagination.

Isolation would really suck to me, but I guess people get used to it. Only downside is I like to take trips and drive to places, see something different. Hawaii I can't really do that. And I only have little family that lives there, most live here on the mainland so not being able to visit them very often would suck. And the insanely high Cost of Living would irritate me.

IMO, Hawaii is a great place to visit but not to live. Florida is a great place to visit AND to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City