Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 01:16 PM

592 posts, read 828,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Who says European countries don't have these issues of integration and overcoming of segregation? I thought you were extremely worldly, well traveled and oh non-Midwestern as opposed to "parochial" Americans who must be from the Midwest? Haha..

Large European Cities Overwhelmed by Muslim Population - Expert - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency
Diversity is actually fairly new to Europe and racism is much more prevalent in Europe than in the US. That might sound incorrect to some, but racism is at a whole other level compared to the United States. There are millions of Muslims and Arabs in the US, and very few problems with Arab and Muslim Americans. Cases of Muslim violence in Europe are largely isolated occasions. I'd much rather walk the streets of many "Muslim" areas of London, Paris, or Amsterdam than I would African American areas of American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 PM

555 posts, read 591,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Diversity is actually fairly new to Europe and racism is much more prevalent in Europe than in the US. That might sound incorrect to some, but racism is at a whole other level compared to the United States. There are millions of Muslims and Arabs in the US, and very few problems with Arab and Muslim Americans. Cases of Muslim violence in Europe are largely isolated occasions. I'd much rather walk the streets of many "Muslim" areas of London, Paris, or Amsterdam than I would African American areas of American cities.

First of, when talking about racism in Europe, can you please remind me when slavery was abolished there or when people of other races acquired voting rights in the countries of european union?
Once we establish that let's talk about racism in the us and European Union lol.

Lets not forget that Muslims / Arabs are not a race so the label racism or racist can't be used to describe social relations.... Again, do not apply American standards to Europe, with its unique history and culture, they will be misleading.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Toronto's metro area is smaller than Chicago, but not as small as many seem to think. It is basically the Toronto plus the Oshawa plus the Hamilton metro areas, and the combined population is slightly over seven million. When you pare back Chicago's overinflated CSA number, the disparity is around 2 million or so. Not 3 or 4.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
You are incorrect to make such an ignorant statement!Amazing how some whites think that a black person would come after them because they are white in a black neighborhood!
Assuming its a poorer neighborhood,then ANYone with money would be a target.black or white.

I live in a predominately African American neighborhood an I have several properties including my own home that I rent out to students from all over the world as well as American.Most have been non African American.
There has NEVER been ONE incident of ANY kind in the 8 years I have been here involving racial animosity.
There is not even any overall factual data that even support the notion that thre are high rates of hate crimes against whites.

I grew up in majority white affluent areas and I can tell you that I have had the police called and stopped me while walking in my own neighborhood wondering what I was doing there.

How often do you hear of rioting based on a racial incidents in the U.S. versus in Europe?
I tell you what:Go to Paris in the suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois in Paris.
40% of the people under 25 years old are unemployed.Its heavily African, Arab,and Muslim and the police wont even go there,
There are NO major highways leading in or out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFXyr82mE0A

Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,518 times
Clichy-sous-Bois is a small suburb of 30,000 inhabitants, it is not at all representative of an average.
This is wrong to say that the police doesn't go there, the 2005 riot was due to a police intervention after a robbery.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Clichy-sous-Bois is a small suburb of 30,000 inhabitants, it is not at all representative of an average.
This is wrong to say that the police doesn't go there, the 2005 riot was due to a police intervention after a robbery.
I never said it was/I mentioned it as response to the other posters comment.Just as that is not the "average" African American neighborhood.
A small suburb of 30,000 with a 40% unemployment rate us REALLY bad.I know there are bad neighborhoods in the some U.S. cities but that's pretty big in comparison to a neighborhood.

The police intervention was AFTER the riot came!I exaggerated I know but they don't patrol the area regularly like they do in other areas.I don't know of one neighborhood in the U.S. where police get rocks thrown at them or attacked like they do in Clichy.i hear this is common though I have no first hand knowledge.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Another one of these by the OP? The insecurity levels are off the charts now. You're just fishing for compliments for Chicago now to make you feel better. You're really gonna let people get to you over and over and over again?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

These comments constantly keep coming up about Toronto, in spite of the city's obvious successes in most other key areas. It's up to the people in TO to determine if it bugs them enough to do something about it.
The biggest attraction I think about Toronto is that it is amalgam of so many things different culturally, ethnically, architecturally, sexually, sociologically you name it... To try to unify it into one overriding theme or experience would be to take away from its strengths.. so the short of it is - no it doesn't bug us.. for those who have the simplistic impressions of Toronto just means that they are not familiar with the place, to most Torontonians we would simply say get to know the place before making a judgement.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I don't deny Toronto has a international pull but Im talking about tourism.Not commerce or education.Its my fault for not making that more clear.
Some cities are just known as popular places.Does not mean they are not worth visiting.Toronto or Chicago?Which do YOU think someone would go if they had the choice of the two for a vacation?

Toronto or Miami?Toronto or D.C.?Toronto or Boston?Toronto or Philadelphia?Toronto or Montreal?Toronto or Vancouver?I dont think most international travelers would ever pick Toronto most of the time of any of those scenarios.
It depends on who you ask. I just got off a flight from Tokyo to Toronto yesterday and there were plenty of Japanese passports on the 773 ER... I think without objective and REAL data it is all based on speculation.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Toronto's metro area is smaller than Chicago, but not as small as many seem to think. It is basically the Toronto plus the Oshawa plus the Hamilton metro areas, and the combined population is slightly over seven million. When you pare back Chicago's overinflated CSA number, the disparity is around 2 million or so. Not 3 or 4.
The core areas of both cities are extraordinarily comparable in population and density.. I think Toronto suburbs are more dense but they end more abruptly geographically - Chicago's contiguous urbanized area just continues much further out unabated. The Greater Toronto Area does not expand out in such a fashion with connecting cities and regions in southern Ontario due to farmland and provincial requirements for them to be protected. If this wasn't the case than the Greater Golden Horseshoe and Chicagoland would be almost the same population and size wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City