Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Toronto, ON (Canada) 69 48.94%
New York, NY (USA) 72 51.06%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You do realize the ROM has a permanent collection of 6 million artefacts? Right?

Besides I NEVER doubted that NYC has a more prominent and impressive collection of Museums - i'm just stating that there are some elements of the ROM that represent impressive representations in their genre - for example the Korean and Far East collections are exemplary as are the dinosaur, mineral and fossil collections.

I personally like the come and go exhibits.. They add flavour and variety and the ROM does a good job of attracting these - nothing wrong with that!
Doesn't matter because it is insignificant compared to just the met's collection. This has been discussed ad nauseum for greater cities from the eras when these things were cheap. The best thing is to display these in a novel way and forget about the numbers game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

fusion2, I'm not familiar with the Museum in Toronto, never been... but if you have been to Chicago, MET blows the Art Institute in Chicago away IMO... honestly I think MoMA's collection can beat it also or at least on even level despite spanning much smaller time frame in very famous artwork or important pieces goes... most of Warhol's stuff is there, Van Gogh's starry night, Dali's persistence of memory, tons of matisse, kooning, lichtenstein, rousseau, picasso etc and masterpiece exhibits making their rounds there more. AI's claim to fame is it's impressionist collection which is good, lots of monet, manet, renoir... lots of good artifacts also. But MET has about 8x the collection of AI, and it's just one museum... there is sitll guggenheim, frick, whitney, american, brooklyn, cloisters, etc, etc and a massive amount of galleries, nyc is one of the prime cities of the global art world.
I totally concur with your post espousing the impressiveness of NYC's museums - having said that if you don't have familiarity with the ROM and the AGO why would one discount them wholesale and the collections they have simply because well Toronto doesn't compare to NYC - does this make sense?

The AI in Chicago is extraordinary and I've done the Natural History Museum in NYC not the Met and naturally I will - all i'm trying to do is expose people to what we have in Toronto not to win a vs battle against one of the greatest cities in the world.. I know it is smaller in the Museum/Art front than NYC but there are collections where T.O museums excel... If people want to dismiss the collections and be arrogant about things - I digress its their loss. I'm open minded enough to appreciate and learn about the various aspects of all the worlds great cities - specifically about great Museums The ROM is not one to be discounted by the arrogance of big stick wavers.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I work with an International Healthcare company that advises Healthcare systems on development and expansion.

Istanbul is a fantastic city to live in from my personal experience. The fact that it is 95% Muslim never bothered me in the least bit. Personally I have no religious beliefs, but I do not fault anyone for having them, no matter how strong or non existent they are. So while I was there no one tried to convert me to Islam and the religious discussions were few and very short. See when you don't care about religion, the conversations tend to end quickly because they see there is no interest in the topic at all.

Otherwise it is a welcoming city, cosmopolitan, stylish, historic, beautiful, vibrant and has a culinary scene that can match anywhere on earth. Yes there are some major cultural and linguistic difficulties an outsider has to overcome, but with an open mind its a pretty easy city to navigate. I lived in Arnavutköy which has a long history of being a very diverse and accepting section of Istanbul, so I am sure that also helped in my transition.
You hiring?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Doesn't matter because it is insignificant compared to just the met's collection. This has been discussed ad nauseum for greater cities from the eras when these things were cheap. The best thing is to display these in a novel way and forget about the numbers game.
I give up on you and your arrogance - seriously...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
I totally concur with your post espousing the impressiveness of NYC's museums - having said that if you don't have familiarity with the ROM and the AGO why would one discount them wholesale and the collections they have simply because well Toronto doesn't compare to NYC - does this make sense?

The AI in Chicago is extraordinary and I've done the Natural History Museum in NYC not the Met and naturally I will - all i'm trying to do is expose people to what we have in Toronto not to win a vs battle against one of the greatest cities in the world.. I know it is smaller in the Museum/Art front than NYC but there are collections where T.O museums excel... If people want to dismiss the collections and be arrogant about things - I digress its their loss. I'm open minded enough to appreciate and learn about the various aspects of all the worlds great cities - specifically about great Museums The ROM is not one to be discounted by the arrogance of big stick wavers.
I wasn't dismissing them. I was just under the impression that Chicago and Toronto were on more equal terms on these things. And if this is the case, I was saying NYC blows Chicago away in this regard, .:. I would assume it would do the same to Toronto. I'm sure the museums in Toronto are good.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,381 times
Quote:
I can see why NYC would run away with this due to size and stature alone... obviously it is a bigger, more famous city.. They both offer tons but NYC just offers more on pretty much every level... Both have fantastic ethnic diversity and are the biggest of each perspective country.

I see Toronto's recent growth spurt as sort of an earlier version of Manhattan - currently we are building twice the number of Highrises and as such are becoming quite transformative both in pedestrian traffic and built form adding to the vibrancy of our DT core.. Are we NYC - not close but It is exciting to see what Toronto has become and what it will become will only add to the stature and prominence of the city. In fairness to Toronto - no other city in N.A comes close either...
Cities go through booms.... New York may be having less of a "boom" right now but it's never going to lose its prominence.

Toronto's boom I'm sure is not infinite although its exciting to see new structures going up.

That said, I'd never live there..... especially when compared to New York! Perhaps the Chicago vs. Toronto comparison is much more warranted.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM

517 posts, read 678,192 times
Quote:
I see Toronto's recent growth spurt as sort of an earlier version of Manhattan - currently we are building twice the number of Highrises and as such are becoming quite transformative both in pedestrian traffic and built form adding to the vibrancy of our DT core.
Toronto is not building "twice the number of highrises" as NYC. They are likely building fewer highrises as NYC.

There is one website, called Emporis, that tries to gather highrise info, and some news article in Toronto reported Toronto as "building more highrises than anywhere in North America" because of this Emporis website.

Problem is, most highrises u/c in NYC aren't even on the Emporis website. And practically none in Mexico City are on the Emporis website. I would wager both cities have more highrises u/c.

In Manhattan alone, there are probably around 30-40 hotels u/c that aren't listed in Emporis. They are all these narrow, sidestreet sliver hotels, and no one has even bothered to record them in the website. And Emporis basically has no info on the Outer Boroughs (the website only works by volunteers sending in info; so dependent on whether the city has highrise geeks who feel like recording the info).

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM

517 posts, read 678,192 times
Quote:
The relative prominence of museums is largely dependent on a city's historical wealth. If a city boomed in recent years, they aren't likely to have top-notch museums.

This is why, in the U.S., Detroit and Buffalo have better art museums than LA, Dallas, or Atlanta.

And this is why Toronto, not a particularly rich or important city on the global stage until recently, does not have museums of particular prominence.

I am telling you, there is no way in hell that AGO in Toronto is as good as DIA in Detroit. If AGO were in the U.S., it probably wouldn't be in the Top 20 art institutions.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
I give up on you and your arrogance - seriously...
If you think that's arrogance, then I'm pretty sure you're not understanding the difference in scale between the museums of these two cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
The relative prominence of museums is largely dependent on a city's historical wealth. If a city boomed in recent years, they aren't likely to have top-notch museums.

This is why, in the U.S., Detroit and Buffalo have better art museums than LA, Dallas, or Atlanta.

And this is why Toronto, not a particularly rich or important city on the global stage until recently, does not have museums of particular prominence.

I am telling you, there is no way in hell that AGO in Toronto is as good as DIA in Detroit. If AGO were in the U.S., it probably wouldn't be in the Top 20 art institutions.
There's also the much greater availability of historical artifacts before decolonization. Back then, things were getting pilfered left and right and the market was flooded with these things because thousands of years of historical goods in many parts of the world were basically up for grabs. A few things here and there have been returned, but the vast majority are still held in American and European cities that were large and wealthy pre 1940s.

Disagree with LA though--LA made up for its later sprouting by having extremely wealthy people in the mid 20th century and later (especially the Gettys, but also the Broads). It definitely isn't up there with New York, but it does alright overall.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-22-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Toronto is not building "twice the number of highrises" as NYC. They are likely building fewer highrises as NYC.

There is one website, called Emporis, that tries to gather highrise info, and some news article in Toronto reported Toronto as "building more highrises than anywhere in North America" because of this Emporis website.

Problem is, most highrises u/c in NYC aren't even on the Emporis website. And practically none in Mexico City are on the Emporis website. I would wager both cities have more highrises u/c.

In Manhattan alone, there are probably around 30-40 hotels u/c that aren't listed in Emporis. They are all these narrow, sidestreet sliver hotels, and no one has even bothered to record them in the website. And Emporis basically has no info on the Outer Boroughs (the website only works by volunteers sending in info; so dependent on whether the city has highrise geeks who feel like recording the info).
Where are your sources that show "40 hotels that are highrises that are under construction in Manhattan"?

Because according to skyscrapercity.com (a more reputable source than Emporis, and is always regularly updated and monitored), Toronto has more highrises under construction than NYC right now. That is not to boast or anything for Toronto because NYC is a super built up city already. It's just a known fact that has been repeated numerous times through various reputable sources. I also don't don't think Emporis would conduct a study and omit U/C buildings in NYC, a city that has a long history with highrises.

New York City - SkyscraperPage.com
Toronto - SkyscraperPage.com

NYC is building taller buildings.
Toronto is building more buildings.
Good for both cities.

Do you have a source that indicates Manhattan has 30-40 'highrise' hotels under construction? As a person that follows skyscraper activity among various cities, I don't recall ever hearing this.

The only thing I remember reading was this a few months ago on curbed, which includes some buildings that are not highrises, being built in Manhattan, and buildings that are being converted to hotels.

Mapping New York City's Hotels Under Construction - Curbed Maps - Curbed NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City