Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most recognizable city landmark
US Capitol Dome/Bldg. - Washington, DC 9 6.57%
Miami Beach - Miami 0 0%
Statue of Liberty - New York City 92 67.15%
Hollywood Sign - Los Angeles 12 8.76%
The Alamo - San Antonio 0 0%
French Quarter architecture - New Orleans 0 0%
Gateway Arch - Saint Louis 6 4.38%
Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) - Chicago 2 1.46%
Space Needle - Seattle 3 2.19%
Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco 13 9.49%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

The Statue of Liberty by quite a wide margin. Maybe the Washington Monument second (or the White House or the Capitol Building or the Lincoln Memorial...).

The Golden Gate Bridge definitely wins for bridges, though the Brooklyn Bridge doesn't fair bad. The Gateway Arch is also instantly recognizable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I think the thread would have been more interesting if you would have eliminated some of the obvious famous land marks.

I voted for the statue of liberty.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I think the thread would have been more interesting if you would have eliminated some of the obvious famous land marks.

I voted for the statue of liberty.
I think maybe you're right...

I actually expected more people to vote for the Arch, Space Needle and Golden Gate.
I myself, also voted Statue of Liberty, but I just see a LOT of people on C-D seem to act like those other 3 are easily the most recognizable landmark in America.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The following are the most recognized landmarks in the world, listed in order of how recognizable they are. It's arguable that everyone knows what cities they represent and the history behind them:

Statue of Liberty
Hollywood Sign
US Capitol Building
Golden Gate Bridge

The following are recognizable landmarks, but not as unanimously known. These landmarks are known by everyone on this forum, but in real life some regular people may be at a loss for naming what city they are located in:

Willis Tower (urban enthusiasts will know, but people who don't give a darn about cities wouldn't know what one skyline is to the other)
Space Needle
French Quarter
Gateway Arch
miami beach
the alamo
Would agree

I also wonder if the Liberty Bell would be more well known than say the Alamo, french Qtr, Space Needle or Miami Beach - probably could also be in that grouping

Think the Chciago Bean could soon be more well known as an identifier as well, maybe moreso than any tower (to me the Hancock may be more identifable than Willis, not sure)

Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
This was an obvious choice that is winning by a landslide.

Surprised that people are rating Golden Gate as highly as they are. It's obviously a major landmark tied in with its city, but I don't see it as above the Hollywood sign, Arch, Vegas Strip, US Capitol, or several other landmarks.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Can't believe I forgot to put the Vegas Strip on there, but put the Alamo... Oops

Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
doesn't Vegas have one of those Statue of Lberty thingies too?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
doesn't Vegas have one of those Statue of Lberty thingies too?
Among other things

AC has a french quarter as well, but they are quite the same

Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The following are recognizable landmarks, but not as unanimously known. These landmarks are known by everyone on this forum, but in real life some regular people may be at a loss for naming what city they are located in:

Willis Tower (urban enthusiasts will know, but people who don't give a darn about cities wouldn't know what one skyline is to the other)
I agree with you. I have tried to make that point of this forum many times but everyone seems that the general public who may not take a deep interest in cities automatically know certain skylines. I know people whom don't know where the gateway arch is, people. I know people who couldn't name any major cities skyline expect there own cities, New York, and maybe San Francisco. It's quite sad but it's the world we live in.

Back on topic, the Statue of liberty is what screams america. Hollywood sign would be second in my opinion. I would have the golden gate 3rd, arch 4th, and Washington monument 5th.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,859 times
I think a tie between Statue of Liberty and the Capitol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City