Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My AAA magazine did some good articles on trips to Maryland last year. There was a lot going on because of the War of 1812 anniversary, but in general, it listed a lot of interesting places to see all over the state. As you pointed out, it's very diverse in culture and geography.

I think I kept it--Maryland's an easy trip from NJ.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Baltimore was packed during that event. I didn't go up there unfortunately, but it truly was a big deal for this state especially since you'll see it on most of our license plates.

Jersey is a very beautiful state as well and it always annoys me when people think that what they see on the NJ Turnpike while they're driving to New York City or what they saw on MTV's Jersey Shore is what New Jersey is all about. Jersey has beautiful wilderness, some nice urban areas such as Hoboken, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson, and a lot of nice townships, some great theme parks (I loved Six Flags Great Adventure), arguably the best beach scene on the East Coast, incredible diversity in its racial/ethnic/religious makeup and its housing/building stock, the busiest port east of the Mississippi (Port of Newark), it has incredible and influential history, it's been influential in the arts (Music, Literature, Film, TV, Art, etc.) it's in a prime location being halfway towards New York and New England, the eastern Midwest, Pennsylvania, the southern Mid-Atlantic (Delaware, Maryland, DC, Virginia, and North Carolina), and eastern Canada. And it's one of the wealthiest states in the nation as well and just like the New Yorkers, Jerseyians are a friendly and stubbornly resilient bunch as well and can handle anything that's thrown at them.

I think it's time that people in this country start giving Jersey some well-deserved proper respect if you ask me.

Much love from Maryland guys, I love the Garden State

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
I think you are right about that. Just the fact that the suburban sprawl just keeps going is different from other states. Even in Albany, where my daughter lives, you have a city that has some suburbs around it, but then there are huge gaps of open space not far out from the city limits. You have to travel quite a distance from NYC to get to that.
Yup, that's definitely one huge point of what I mean.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Baltimore was packed during that event. I didn't go up there unfortunately, but it truly was a big deal for this state especially since you'll see it on most of our license plates.

Jersey is a very beautiful state as well and it always annoys me when people think that what they see on the NJ Turnpike while they're driving to New York City or what they saw on MTV's Jersey Shore is what New Jersey is all about. Jersey has beautiful wilderness, some nice urban areas such as Hoboken, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Paterson, and a lot of nice townships, some great theme parks (I loved Six Flags Great Adventure), arguably the best beach scene on the East Coast, incredible diversity in its racial/ethnic/religious makeup and its housing/building stock, the busiest port east of the Mississippi (Port of Newark), it has incredible and influential history, it's been influential in the arts (Music, Literature, Film, TV, Art, etc.) it's in a prime location being halfway towards New York and New England, the eastern Midwest, Pennsylvania, the southern Mid-Atlantic (Delaware, Maryland, DC, Virginia, and North Carolina), and eastern Canada. And it's one of the wealthiest states in the nation as well and just like the New Yorkers, Jerseyians are a friendly and stubbornly resilient bunch as well and can handle anything that's thrown at them.

I think it's time that people in this country start giving Jersey some well-deserved proper respect if you ask me.

Could not have said it better myself, wow. *applause*

Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 PM

168 posts, read 353,205 times
I've found Jerseyians to be generally more friendly than some people I've encountered in Howard County MD.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Bergen County, NJ is very diverse - Southern / Eastern Bergen County is more urban and dense, while the more north and northwest you go the more real suburban feel. However, no place in Bergen County is truly urban. Sundays are dead due to blue laws.

Hudson County feels as urban as Uptown Manhattan.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Could not have said it better myself, wow. *applause*
Thanks

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post

C'mon up anytime! You can be the new Jersey Tourism rep!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Agreed! We need that kind of truth and spirit to spread the word to everyone who thinks NJ is the Turnpike from Newark Airport to NYC.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
LOL Thanks

Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 AM

133 posts, read 236,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They are, Hudson is far more urban, no contest. It's probably the state's most urban county. I just think overall, northern NJ is very urban and dense. There is a great mix of small towns, farms, cities, etc, but I do think it feels much different than other suburban areas in other states. It's more about feel than look IMO. It's hard for me to explain, though I understand what you're saying. Just my opinion.
I see where you're coming from
I grew up in Upstate NY (Schenectady), now in Hudson County NJ. My goal was NYC, but ended up in Weehawken and I have no regrets. I could be in Brooklyn or Queens, but honestly, traveling in and out of the city from Weehawken isn't any more/less of a hassle than it is to be traveling out of BK/Q. I actually never imagined (Northern) New Jersey to have such strong ties with NYC. I didn't even know there was subway trains from NJ-NYC (PATH). Hudson County really has a level of urbanity throughout that can trump out 90% of major cities in America. I just feel the its urban identity is totally stripped away from the area and thrown over the river- That's the biggest takeaway from NJ cities in general. NJ has more power than percieved. Jersey City is an up and coming, innovative city under a big shadow that grows quiet in its downtown area after 8pm. It's Hoboken that accounts for most of the nightlife and culture in hudson county, but people will associate it's vibe with that of a neighborhood in Manhattan. Meanwhile people are quick to associate the crime in Newark with New Jersey as a whole and label Newark a dump. There's plenty of "Newarks" in Baltimore and Cleaveland, but I think people are willing to look past that because these cities have large enough land areas to make up for that particular flaw. So who's to say you can't aquire the same amount of amenities within the same amount of distances traveling outside of Newark? Let's take note that the PATH runs into Newark with destinations in Jersey City and Hoboken before reaching NYC. All in all, even Newark has redeeming qualities that people won't take time to notice (Ironbound anyone?)

As for the topic at hand, I'd say Maryland resembles New Jersey in a bigger way than OH does. The wealth bleeding out of NYC/DC flows into NJ/MD and creates unmatched leafy suburbs. Baltimore is more like Philly than any city in OH, so I'll just assume Philly is NJ's to register the similarities between the two. And if that's just unacceptable to you, I'll go ahead and say Trenton is more like Baltimore than anything in OH.. The shore areas of MD/NJ are really not at all much different if you stripped away all the attractions. They both have their appalachian region, MD's covering a greater area, but NJ has that woodsy NW region none the less.
One thing between NJ and OH that sticks out is that they both have great amusement parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City