Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best culture overall
Chicago 34 50.75%
Los Angeles 33 49.25%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times

Advertisements

New York city aside....just wanna know how folks at C-D think which city has the best culture overall. You can use the same criteria defined by Travel & Leisure.

* Classical music
* Theater/performance art
* Street performers
* Museums/galleries
* Historical sites/monuments
* Free attractions

Best Culture in U.S. Cities

"Each year Travel & leisure posts an online survey asking Americans what they like—and don't like—about 35 large U.S. cities and use the poll results to rank the cities based on a variety of topics, including most intelligent, most attractive, and best culture. The following table lists the 25 best U.S. Cities for culture in 2010." - Travel & Leisure

America's Favorite Cities 2012 - Culture | Travel + Leisure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Damn you Chicagoans are insecure. First that other fella makes a topic on built-up (non-natural) beauty between the two because of something I said. Now this one based on that other topic? Come on now.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:38 PM

I just wanted to know if the C-D folks agree with other Americans (Travel & Leisure's survey) who think L.A is one of the overrated cities in terms of culture. On contrary, in this forum, L.A boosters keep bragging about its cultural aspect and believe it has better culture than Chicago, which I think it's laughable.

Your reaction shows how vulnerable a typical L.A person is... Always feels insecure about people's perception of your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Damn you Chicagoans are insecure. First that other fella makes a topic on built-up (non-natural) beauty between the two because of something I said. Now this one based on that other topic? Come on now.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
I just wanted to know if the C-D folks agree with other Americans (Travel & Leisure's survey) who think L.A is one of the overrated cities in terms of culture. On contrary, in this forum, L.A boosters keep bragging about its cultural aspect and believe it has better culture than Chicago, which I think it's laughable.

Your reaction shows how vulnerable a typical L.A person is... Always feels insecure about people's perception of your city.
Your insecurity it seeping out of your pores kiddo. You made this topic and it reeks of insecurity. Come on now. I know it's hard to deal with the fact that you can hear Houston's foot steps behind you. We both know LA is more cultural in every way, shape, and form.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Your attempt to derail the thread speaks volume of how insecure and ignorant L.A boosters are. You can't even accept the fact that the majority of Americans considered L.A is overrated when it comes to culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Your insecurity it seeping out of your pores kiddo. You made this topic and it reeks of insecurity. Come on now. I know it's hard to deal with the fact that you can hear Houston's foot steps behind you. We both know LA is more cultural in every way, shape, and form.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM

Who made the topic again? Come on now kiddo.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Here is my take

* Classical music: Chicago
* Theater/performance art: Tie
* Street performers: L.A
* Museums/galleries: Chicago
* Historical sites/monuments:Chicago
* Free attractions: Chicago

Based on my own experience and observation, Chicago or Boston has a better overall culture than L.A.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
So what if they think LA is overrated? It's becoming quite ridiculous that we always have to hear how LA is a ****-hole, when people come for a week and think they've seen all the city. This is why It's also ridiculous when we have to hear stuff like "Besides the entertainment industry, what else does LA have?" or "If you took away all the natural beauty of LA, What city would be more ascetically pleasing?" I will personally say that LA is pretty bad for a tourist. You guys have to do all that driving in such a small amount of time, you wonder if this is what people do in LA all day long. When in reality, when you live here, you can enjoy everything that Southern California have to offer. Our culture is defined by our fasion, our contemporary art, our willingness to go beyond our neighborhoods. LA is about going to hike in Topanga canyon then taking a dip in the Pacific Ocean. LA is about going day Skiing, then hanging out at a rooftop bar in DTLA at night. LA is about having the best Korean, Thai, Mexican, El Salvadorian, Armenian, Russian, Indian, Soul, Chinese, Persian...Whatever food you want at your fingertips. LA is about expressing yourself however you may please. It is the reason we have more people in the Creative fields than any other city (besides maybe NY). LA is about action, which is why we invented skate & surf culture. LA is about innovation, which is why there is so much fusion and experimentation. LA just has it all...Good And Bad.

Edit: And we invented the internet

Last edited by jamills21; 08-28-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post

These are also the same Americans that think Nashville has better nightlife than CHICAGO, Vegas, NYC, Miami etc... LOL. Excellent source to use as representative of "Americans"! I guess a C-D poll represents Americans too. Lol. Somebody has a chip on their shoulder....

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
These are also the same Americans that think Nashville has better nightlife than CHICAGO, Vegas, NYC, Miami etc... LOL. Excellent source to use as representative of "Americans"! I guess a C-D poll represents Americans too. Lol. Somebody has a chip on their shoulder....
His own stupid survey has Santa Fe, NM ranked ahead of Chicago, Boston, DC, and San Francisco in "culture". T&L makes GaWC look credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City