Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:37 AM

246 posts, read 230,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
The western side of the US. The geographic variation is much more dramatic - with taller and longer mountain ranges and valleys. The west has alpine, mediterranean, desert, rain forest, and prairie biomes. The west has both the highest mountain in the continental US and the lowest elevation in too.

Sure the east has New York, but aside from that one city, the combined economic power of California and Texas are huge forces out west to be reckoned with. The future of the US is out west.

I am a native Californian based in SF. West coast best coast!
Negative, but I guess you haven't traveled around the nation too much or studied other States' GDPs.

Yes CA & TX have greater GDP than NY, but there are other Eastern States have high GDPs (IL, PA, OH, NJ, MA, etc.) to be combined with NY as greater GDP than CA, TX, & the rest of the Western States.

Agreed TX does have a strong economy to be reckoned all over the US, but CA is slowly dwindling b/c of many businesses are departing to other States (TX, AZ, CO, UT, etc.) due to its better tax incentives.

The Western States do have wonderful climates & geographies, but the local populace to have shallow & flakey characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Too much mud-slinging in this thread, it is childish.

Isn't this a topic about opinions? So why does it matter if somebody prefers western cities or thinks the east is prettier? They are just opinions. Opinions are not always facts nor do they need to be presented in insulting ways.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM

366 posts, read 404,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I didn't report anything. Looks like you got yourself reported, the mods most likely thought you were rude.

And likewise, buddy.
No duh...I didn't think it was rude, I told you the truth and you obviously found it hard to handle judging from your responses, which is exactly why I thought you did it. But whatever, that's irrelevant now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Despite these wonderful examples, people will continue to swear the East is just as geographically diverse as the West.
You seem to lack the ability to differentiate the between the words beauty and diversity.

Nobody said the east coast is has as diverse of a landscape as the west coast, but rather that they are more attractive or better looking overall.

Last edited by KaneKane; 10-05-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 03:56 PM

366 posts, read 404,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's where I am confused though, how is one sort of beauty superior to another? The west does not inherently have the upper hand in superiority, just diversity. What is more dramatic or beautiful will always come down to the personal opinions of individuals.
I get the the feeling that individual is not intellectually capable of differentiating between natural beauty and natural diversity. He probably thinks as long as he has the last word on it, we will all just except them as the same, which is probably why he is still going on about an argument I didn't see anybody making.

Aesthetics is personal opinion. And in my opinion, it's diversity is what hurts the west in this case.

If all of the west looked like the Cascades, I would probably consider it more beautiful. But it's the exact opposite on many parts which look dried up, brown, and barren. Not a visually pleasing sight at all in my personal view and many others.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:14 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I get the the feeling that individual is not intellectually capable of differentiating between natural beauty and natural diversity. He probably thinks as long as he has the last word on it, we will all just except them as the same, which is probably why he is still going on about an argument I didn't see anybody making.

Aesthetics is personal opinion. And in my opinion, it's diversity is what hurts the west in this case.

If all of the west looked like the Cascades, I would probably consider it more beautiful. But it's the exact opposite on many parts which look dried up, brown, and barren. Not a visually pleasing sight at all in my personal view and many others.
I also noticed that when I made it clear that I was having a conversation between myself and them rather than generalizing the "opposition" they clammed up and never replied again.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
While the hills and mountains of the Northeast will always feel like home to me and are scenic; I do think landscapes with larger, steeper mountains are more scenic. Definitely more dramatic and interesting. On the other hand, regions that only have flat terrain I find relatively boring. Sure, they can have natural beauty. But it would be more beautiful if there were some terrain.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
And in my opinion, it's diversity is what hurts the west in this case.
I know it's just my opinion, but I couldn't disagree more. Admittedly brown prairies aren't exactly visually stimulating, but then neither are the endless farms, wetlands and flatlands throughout the east.

Diversity is exactly what is so fun about living in the west. Just in Colorado alone one can travel from white water rapids in the middle of a lush green forest, to alpine tundra or beautiful red desert in just 2 to 3 hours. 95 degrees in the valley?, grab your tent and trek to higher altitude for cooler weather.

If one is an outdoors person and enjoys rugged terrain, then the west will probably suit them. They will however need to give up any addiction to green.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:

This post confirms just what I thought... Your reading comprehension is very off. I wasn't speaking of opinions, I was speaking of facts. Go back and read more carefully, if you feel like it.

Oh, and I'm female. Don't assume next time. If you don't know a person's sex, use "they."

Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:
I also noticed that when I made it clear that I was having a conversation between myself and them rather than generalizing the "opposition" they clammed up and never replied again.
I didn't clam up, but I did give up because I didn't feel there was any point in responding to you. I was speaking of other posters, and you were trying to have a one-on-one with me. Didn't see a point in responding. I'd be happy to personally message each other, if you'd like.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Quote:
That's where I am confused though, how is one sort of beauty superior to another? The west does not inherently have the upper hand in superiority, just diversity. What is more dramatic or beautiful will always come down to the personal opinions of individuals.

As I've stated before, opinions are not facts. In other words I divide diversity and superiority as they aren't the same thing. Nowhere is factually superior to another place, only objectively superior. I hope I am wording this correctly.

Also I wasn't accusing you of saying there was no beauty in the east, that was a general usage of 'you'.
While I generally agree with you...I don't believe "dramatic", in the sense of explaining landscapes is necessarily subjective. Whether a person believes a dramatic landscape is beautiful, however, IS a subjective opinion.

If you go to places like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite Valley, etc. where you get your first view, you literally lose your depth perception. It's almost hallucinogenic because it looks as if your seeing something in 2D as your brain takes a second to adjust to the massive landscape that you are visually seeing. THAT's dramatic, and I can't honestly say that I've ever had that experience anywhere east of the Rockies, and that's not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City