Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Islands Desetination
Hawaii 76 54.68%
Caribbean 63 45.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well sure, I'm well aware of that. But that's only 2 islands in the Caribbean. If you're going to use that argument ... it loses big time. One fair-sized island and one dinky one can't measure up to all the Hawaiian islands.

The others all require a passport, passing through passport controls, customs, etc. All a general PIA.
Actually the Virgin Islands is several different islands, St. Croux, St.Thomas, and St. John. There is also the British VI but they require a passport to visit (which isn't as much of a hassle to do as you might think). And PR is actually a pretty big island overall. Getting a passport to those other countries isn't hard to do either, and there are SEVERAL thousand different islands in the Caribbean, and each individual nation has it's own set of sub islands as well, for example the Bahamas alone has over 700 islands, with about 50 being inhabited.

And the VI are anything but dinky!

St.Croix

St.John

St. Thomas

Let's do Puerto Rico again just for fun

As you can see, they are anything but small and dingy! They have a lot of vivid landscape to offer. To dismiss them is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Actually the Virgin Islands is several different islands, St. Croux, St.Thomas, and St. John. There is also the British VI but they require a passport to visit (which isn't as much of a hassle to do as you might think). And PR is actually a pretty big island overall. Getting a passport to those other countries isn't hard to do either, and there are SEVERAL thousand different islands in the Caribbean, and each individual nation has it's own set of sub islands as well, for example the Bahamas alone has over 700 islands, with about 50 being inhabited.

St.Croix

St.John

St. Thomas

Let's do Puerto Rico again just for fun

As you can see, they are anything but small and dingy! They have a lot of vivid landscape to offer. To dismiss them is foolish.
oooh, pretty...did you take those pictures?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,393 times
Love the Caribbean. One of my favorite things to do is to hike to the top of El Yunque in Puerto Rico. You can see both the Atlantic and Caribbean sea from the top.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but 133 square miles (the total area of the American Virgin Islands) is dinky. And Puerto Rico, while sizeable, is still smaller than the big Island of Hawaii. They are small. In fact, both together still aren't the size of the island of Hawaii, alone.

Who gives a flying fig that there are 650 "islands" that even the locals don't find interesting (or large) enough to live on. Sure, that's a great incentive for vacationing. Talk about irrelevancy.

I find getting a passport is a PIA. For one, it's current cost is like $140. For another, you have to appear in person to apply for one. At a government facility, which means it's open only during business hours. So that involves taking time off work. And then you have the bother of going through the process of exiting and reentering the country, as I said earlier.

Why go through that when you can go to a place as beautiful as Hawaii without it.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
omgggg i have to get a passport oh noes have to go to the post office and wait in line for 5 minutes to take a picture, any serious traveler has a passport. the fact you are complaining about it makes me not take you seriously.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm sorry, but 133 square miles (the total area of the American Virgin Islands) is dinky. And Puerto Rico, while sizeable, is still smaller than the big Island of Hawaii. They are small. In fact, both together still aren't the size of the island of Hawaii, alone.

Who gives a flying fig that there are 650 "islands" that even the locals don't find interesting (or large) enough to live on. Sure, that's a great incentive for vacationing. Talk about irrelevancy.

I find getting a passport is a PIA. For one, it's current cost is like $140. For another, you have to appear in person to apply for one. At a government facility, which means it's open only during business hours. So that involves taking time off work. And then you have the bother of going through the process of exiting and reentering the country, as I said earlier.

Why go through that when you can go to a place as beautiful as Hawaii without it.
So what? They offer a lot and are nice to look at, as pictures have shown. I wasn't aware islands had to be as big as or bigger than Hawaii's to be relevant, my bad.

I do. My uncle went to one of the least inhabited islands in the Bahamas, as I think I've said before on this thread. Barely a thing in sight - water isn't even swimmable because of reefs and other aquatic life (plant like things) that get in the way. It's a fishing island, and you go there for a few days to a few weeks, live in dorm like setting, cook in outdoor kitchens, and fish with the few locals who live there, who host these trips, during the day out on boats. That's all you do, and it's a vacation fishermen, like my uncle, enjoy. So he cares that one of the Bahamas' many islands is rather untouched, a paradise not for the typical vacationer but for someone who's going for a hobby not to relax and lay on a beach in front of a resort all day. Point is, the fact that there are many islands IS interesting. Some of them vary greatly from one another in a few different ways and just because I wouldn't want to go to a fishing island that's small and virtually deserted, and maybe neither would you, doesn't mean that no one wants to go. I was skeptical when he went because it's not something I'd enjoy. But he came back, had a blast, showed us dozens of beautiful photos, of wonderful locals he befriended and the island's beauty, and is already planning another, longer trip early next year to do the same thing.

Man, getting passports is nearly impossible! I don't know how people do it. You have to go to the place, wait in line, pay some money, maybe even take off work (my lunch break is too short for this stuff!), all just to be able to expand your horizons and get out of the US, see new things, experience new places, cultures, languages, foods, settings, people. How awful. And let's not even mention physically leaving and reentering the country, I've never done anything harder in my life…

Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Again, the crime in these places is easily avoidable. And no the VI homicide is not the worlds highest, not even close. It doesn't even make the top 50. Neither does Puerto Rico.

[SIZE=3]List of cities by murder rate - Wikipedia, the free ...[/SIZE]

Millions of people visit those two places every year and they come back fine, yes many of them do in fact go off their hotels and resorts and explore the islands. And don't act like Hawaii is some crime free paradise, it has some nasty sides to it as well. Don't go to China Town after dark, and stay away from the western side of Oahu in general if you're white. Not to mention a lot of homeless people live on that side, entire families living in tents because they can't afford to own a home due to Hawaii's insanely high COL. It has the largest homeless camp in the entire country.

[SIZE=3]Safe and Dangerous Places in Honolulu - AOL Travel Ideas[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]THE OTHER SIDE OF PARADISE: Inside Hawaii's Giant Homeless ...[/SIZE]

Not saying there isn't poverty in the Caribbean, there certainly is. But again millions of people visit Hawaii and come back fine, just like the Caribbean. It's not really dangerous like you're making it out to be, be smart, stay away from shady neighborhoods after dark, don't do drugs, and you'll be fine.
^ words, words, words...all of which ignores the reality of the murder rates and obvious disparity of crime due to drugs, guns and gangs rampant in the V.I. & PR

murder rates (per 100K people)...

56 - Virgin Islands (more than 10 times the US avg)
31 - Puerto Rico
1.8 - Hawaii

I've been to all three and never have I seen the level of tourist warning and areas to avoid in Hawaii as is so obviously communicated in the V.I. or Puerto Rico...not a cool place to visit, but I'm sure it would be fine for you.

xrcgjMJmvNg1.flv - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So what? They offer a lot and are nice to look at, as pictures have shown. I wasn't aware islands had to be as big as or bigger than Hawaii's to be relevant, my bad.

I do. My uncle went to one of the least inhabited islands in the Bahamas, as I think I've said before on this thread. Barely a thing in sight - water isn't even swimmable because of reefs and other aquatic life (plant like things) that get in the way. It's a fishing island, and you go there for a few days to a few weeks, live in dorm like setting, cook in outdoor kitchens, and fish with the few locals who live there, who host these trips, during the day out on boats. That's all you do, and it's a vacation fishermen, like my uncle, enjoy. So he cares that one of the Bahamas' many islands is rather untouched, a paradise not for the typical vacationer but for someone who's going for a hobby not to relax and lay on a beach in front of a resort all day. Point is, the fact that there are many islands IS interesting. Some of them vary greatly from one another in a few different ways and just because I wouldn't want to go to a fishing island that's small and virtually deserted, and maybe neither would you, doesn't mean that no one wants to go. I was skeptical when he went because it's not something I'd enjoy. But he came back, had a blast, showed us dozens of beautiful photos, of wonderful locals he befriended and the island's beauty, and is already planning another, longer trip early next year to do the same thing.

Man, getting passports is nearly impossible! I don't know how people do it. You have to go to the place, wait in line, pay some money, maybe even take off work (my lunch break is too short for this stuff!), all just to be able to expand your horizons and get out of the US, see new things, experience new places, cultures, languages, foods, settings, people. How awful. And let's not even mention physically leaving and reentering the country, I've never done anything harder in my life…
I'm happy that you lives somewhere so unpopulated that such places aren't inundated with others attempting to do government business during their very short lunch breaks. I do. It's a major PIA to do. Or at least, I found it so the last time I had to do it. But ... I had a purpose for doing it. So I put up with it. However, given the choice of going to a Caribbean Island or to Hawaii, if I wasn't in possession of a passport. Well ... that would certainly make me choose Hawaii. But thanks for the sarcasm. It's so lovely.

As for the size of the islands. You seem to be unaware that was in response to someone who seemed to think that the Virgin Islands was a large body of land, and that Puerto Rico was a very large island. I simply was refuting the claim with some actual facts. I understand why some people have trouble with that. It's just so much easier to misread things, and claim any old wild thing.

I'm happy that your uncle had a great time fishing on an island no one else wanted to go to. That's just super. But this thread happens to be asking the question of where WE THINK is a better vacation. Get your uncle to come and post here, and he can pick the Caribbean. You pick the Caribbean. I didn't. Is that okay with you?

And why is it that I seem to have to put up with yet more snarky comments because that's not my choice?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:15 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Just returned from Oahu...just wanted to post this photo I took:

Old 10-24-2013, 11:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
You want detail. Here it goes:
Let's see. It's overpriced for a few tourist filled beaches on the main island (the only attraction). The Main city Honolulu has subpar Nightlife. The locals treated me fine since I was a minority, but don't be white in Hawaii. It's not fun. Hawaii is an utter bore to actually live on. Just ask any teenager that grew up there. They don't stay.

The truth is people go to Hawaii for the beach. The beaches are either filled with tourist or an 2 hour drive to get to. Having nothing but beach gets boring fast. My friend who attend UofHawaii says kids are so bored all they do is get stoned all the time. I could go anywhere in California pay less, get better beaches, get a good education, and have a better nightlife....

So YOU Tell me why Hawaii is so great. I would like to know.
California has nice beaches but they can't compare to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City