Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Islands Desetination
Hawaii 76 54.68%
Caribbean 63 45.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm happy that you lives somewhere so unpopulated that such places aren't inundated with others attempting to do government business during their very short lunch breaks. I do. It's a major PIA to do. Or at least, I found it so the last time I had to do it. But ... I had a purpose for doing it. So I put up with it. However, given the choice of going to a Caribbean Island or to Hawaii, if I wasn't in possession of a passport. Well ... that would certainly make me choose Hawaii. But thanks for the sarcasm. It's so lovely.

As for the size of the islands. You seem to be unaware that was in response to someone who seemed to think that the Virgin Islands was a large body of land, and that Puerto Rico was a very large island. I simply was refuting the claim with some actual facts. I understand why some people have trouble with that. It's just so much easier to misread things, and claim any old wild thing.

I'm happy that your uncle had a great time fishing on an island no one else wanted to go to. That's just super. But this thread happens to be asking the question of where WE THINK is a better vacation. Get your uncle to come and post here, and he can pick the Caribbean. You pick the Caribbean. I didn't. Is that okay with you?

And why is it that I seem to have to put up with yet more snarky comments because that's not my choice?
I don't. I'm from northern NJ, literally can't get much more dense with people than where I live. I just think that whole passport thing was complete BS. You have to pay, you have to deal with other people there, then you have to deal with leaving and reentering the country… come on. It is not at all that difficult in the slightest, especially the physically leaving and coming back part. You just prefer Hawaii - fine, but why the drivel about obtaining a passport, leaving, and how hard it all is?

I have no issue that you pick Hawaii. I just think people quickly write off the Caribbean, namely because of crime rates, which is completely ridiculous because unless you get involved in shady things while there, you'll be fine. People love to point out the stats, many without ever even experiencing it, while in reality millions of people go to islands in the Caribbean and come back with no issue - same as Hawaii. I don't care about the crime rates - I have personal experiences and those of many friends and family who repeatedly visit various islands and have a fabulous time, never felt in danger no matter where they went, despite that island's crime rate.

The story about my uncle btw wasn't just about islands' diversity, but about safety and the kindness of the locals. Here he was on a virtually empty island, only with other tourists and some local Bahamian residents. He never once felt threatened, unsafe, and the locals he met were kind, welcoming, helpful, and so great he's going back. Yet look at the Bahamas' crime rate. Through the roof. Things aren't always what they seem.

I get the feeling that a lot of people on this thread look at the Caribbean in contempt, sticking their noses up at it and thinking Hawaii is so much better while in reality they are very similar places and it all comes down to personal preference and convenience. You all can prefer what you want to, but no one should be pretending the Caribbean is this awful place where everyone is in danger and nothing good happens. The opinions I don't mind, the ignoring or manipulating of facts I do, as well as the elitism I sense in general. Just my opinion, have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 01:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
The facts are, the Caribbean is much more dangerous. People who are afraid of stats, are so because they don't support their opinions. IMO.

However, I have stated numerous times, I've been both places. Numerous times. They're both beautiful. I'm on the West Coast. Hawaii's nearer to me. It's more convenient for many reasons. Lack of a border crossing is just one of them. There are many, for me. You don't know me. So your charges of elitism, directed at me, are pretty insulting.

I'm sorry that you find things that I find inconvenient to be drivel. Nice of you to up the snark quotient.

Quote:
driv·el (drvl)
v. driv·eled or driv·elled, driv·el·ing or driv·el·ling, driv·els
v.intr.
1. To slobber; drool.
2. To flow like spittle or saliva.
3. To talk stupidly or childishly.
v.tr.
1. To allow to flow from the mouth.
2. To say (something) stupidly.
n.
1. Saliva flowing from the mouth.
2. Stupid or senseless talk.
Pretty nasty connotations. There's really no need to continue to be heaping snarky criticism at me. Yet again. And again. And again.

I just hope it makes you feel better. And superior. That seems to be what you need.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I'm still waiting for someone to point out what the Carribean has over Hawaii other than a better chance to end up in a box during your visit.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The facts are, the Caribbean is much more dangerous. People who are afraid of stats, are so because they don't support their opinions. IMO.

However, I have stated numerous times, I've been both places. Numerous times. They're both beautiful. I'm on the West Coast. Hawaii's nearer to me. It's more convenient for many reasons. Lack of a border crossing is just one of them. There are many, for me. You don't know me. So your charges of elitism, directed at me, are pretty insulting.

I'm sorry that you find things that I find inconvenient to be drivel. Nice of you to up the snark quotient.

Pretty nasty connotations. There's really no need to continue to be heaping snarky criticism at me. Yet again. And again. And again.

I just hope it makes you feel better. And superior. That seems to be what you need.
Thanks for the definition. I wasn't trying to be snarky, at all actually in that post. I meant it.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 PM

204 posts, read 309,511 times
We know the Caribbean has a higher crime rate. We get it. Stop repeating it. We heard you 57th time. JerseyGirl was replying to the guy who said that their was one Virgin Island and that Puerto Rico was a rinky dink place.

The only drivel we hear is you. Hawaii is closer to you so it makes sense. We get it stop repeating it.

From your argument the only thing you have said that make Hawaii better than the Caribbean is the crime rate and proximity to the west coast.

Countless posters have showed that the Caribbean is much Cheaper for a higher population of Americans, has more to do, has more culture, has much more of a variety.

Compare your argument vs the other posters makes Hawaii seem kind of lame doesn't. Post what really makes Hawaii great please, because if all of America was only worried about being safe, we'd vacation in Utah.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to point out what the Carribean has over Hawaii other than a better chance to end up in a box during your visit.
Less expensive, friendlier locals and less racism (Hawaii has some racism problems towards white people) more cultures, more exotic, not super isolated like Hawaii, white sandy beaches, calmer and warmer water, bigger region with several thousand different unique islands to visit.

The only advantage Hawaii has is better surfing, but some parts of the Caribbean islands have good surfing too. Less crime is also a clear advantage, but it's not really that big of a deal like you are making it sound. It's easily avoidable. Millions of tourists visit the Caribbean every year, some even move there, they all come back, fine and continue to visit again year after year.

Of course there is no wrong answers here, nothing wrong with preferring Hawaii or vice versa. The problem however is that many of the people who prefer Hawaii tend to be kind of snobbish about it and and make false or inaccurate claims regarding the Caribbean, or pretty much any where else in a Hawaii vs poll.

Last edited by FloridaPirate355; 10-26-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 12:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
The surfing in some of those Atlantic/Caribbean spots can't even compare to California, let alone Hawaii.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Less expensive, friendlier locals and less racism (Hawaii has some racism problems towards white people) more cultures, more exotic, not super isolated like Hawaii, white sandy beaches, calmer and warmer water, bigger region with several thousand different unique islands to visit.

The only advantage Hawaii has is better surfing, but some parts of the Caribbean islands have good surfing too. Less crime is also a clear advantage, but it's not really that big of a deal like you are making it sound. It's easily avoidable. Millions of tourists visit the Caribbean every year, some even move there, they all come back, fine and continue to visit again year after year.

Of course there is no wrong answers here, nothing wrong with preferring Hawaii or vice versa. The problem however is that many of the people who prefer Hawaii tend to be kind of snobbish about it and and make false or inaccurate claims regarding the Caribbean, or pretty much any where else in a Hawaii vs poll.
it's obvious you're just throwing crap against the wall hoping something will stick

Old 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post

Now you're just getting nasty about things. There are plenty of posters who like both Hawaii and the Caribbean who don't have to resort to quips, jabs, or generalizations like you are doing while at the same time complaining that others are doing.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Caribbean is less expensive for who? East coasters, sure. But for West coasters, it's more expensive. Less racism and friendlier locals? I don't think so, not from my experience. The Bahamians in particular were quite rude. Hawaii also has white sandy beaches, many of them with the same calm water. Warmer? Depends on where in the Caribbean you are and what time of the year. Summer water in the Bahamas will be warmer than Hawaii, but barely. Hawaiian winter water is warmer than Bahamian winter water. Yes, I know it's in the Atlantic, but you're bringing up the vast region, so it still counts. Puerto Rico and Hawaii have pretty much the same water temps. Southern Caribbean has warmer water, but barely, and who cares? Hawaii still has great water temps all year long. As for the crime not being a big deal, it is. Otherwise, those millions of tourists you mention wouldn't mostly just be staying on the resort, scared to go out in town, and opting to stay on the beach instead.

Hawaii has more to do. It has the beaches and nature like the Caribbean, but is also known for high-end dining, nightlife and world-class shopping. More cultural amenities too, like WW2 history and the like. The Caribbean just doesn't have as much to offer. This is why people say after a week in the Caribbean, they are fine going home. But when they are leaving Hawaii, they start to cry and get sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City