Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food city among the three?
Atlanta 20 32.79%
Miami 21 34.43%
Washington DC 24 39.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im done w with you.Your obviously an ignorant troll.Should I s p a c e t h a t o u t f o r y o u ?
Why not respond to what I stated? Is it because you know deep down what I stated to be the truth?

Come on, prove me wrong.... let's see pictures of those ethnic neighborhoods in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDF12 View Post
Why not respond to what I stated? Is it because you know deep down what I stated to be the truth?

Come on, prove me wrong.... let's see pictures of those ethnic neighborhoods in Atlanta.
Just google Buford Highway and click on images.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Just google Buford Highway and click on images.
I tried what you stated into google - I got an asian themed strip mall

Old 09-28-2013, 07:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
I tried what you stated into google - I got an asian themed strip mall
It goes back to what I said in an earlier post. International immigration in large quantity is newer to Atlanta. As such, the suburbanization of the city had gone full swing. That's why in cities like Atlanta, the international sections of the area are suburban. You're not going to find an urban Chinatown like you would in Chicago, rather you will find the international cultures integrated in the suburbs. In the case of the Buford highway, it's not just one strip mall, it's miles of them. But it is strip malls, not urban walkable areas. Granted DCs international areas in NOVA aren't any different.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:37 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:

You were proven wrong when you opened your mouth.
Do you read well?I never said there were "ethnic neighborhoods".I said there are plenty of ethnicities represented here in food.Atlanta is not just black and white.

Many cities that have ethnic neighborhoods are segregated.They came during waves of massive immigration from different groups.Chicago is the most segregated city in the US. and it has great food.Just because a city is diverse does not mean they need their own neighborhoods to get ethnic food.

Atlanta and many other Southern cities are more integrated because they grew at times where there was not the same level of xenophobia.

Did you even bother to look up some of those those restaurants I provided?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:41 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
It goes back to what I said in an earlier post. International immigration in large quantity is newer to Atlanta. As such, the suburbanization of the city had gone full swing. That's why in cities like Atlanta, the international sections of the area are suburban. You're not going to find an urban Chinatown like you would in Chicago, rather you will find the international cultures integrated in the suburbs. In the case of the Buford highway, it's not just one strip mall, it's miles of them. But it is strip malls, not urban walkable areas. Granted DCs international areas in NOVA aren't any different.
D.C.'s international area's are in the middle of urban redevelopment currently. Highrise's and midrises are rising along those corridors. The international restaurants are returning to the city in D.C. There are so many international restaurants opening in the city it's hard to keep track of them.

Just to name a few:
El Centro Opens Today; Mandalay Opens this Weekend - Opening Report - Eater DC

Huge Columbia Heights News – Filipino Restaurant from Owner of Room 11 Coming to 11th Street | PoPville

Manga on the Walls, Shochu Behind the Bar at Daikaya - Eater Inside - Eater DC

A Look Inside Doi Moi, Opening Tonight - Eater Inside - Eater DC

Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I personally feel cities like DC, Atlanta, and Dallas are developing food cities. Right now, they may not stand out but give them time and I think they will stand with any city.

The one thing all three have in common is that the best ethnic eating isnt in the city, but in the burbs and that may be considered a weakness.

D.C. is a class ahead of Atlanta and Dallas at this point. Chef's from all around the country are flocking to D.C. in droves just like builders are. I would estimate D.C. is opening new chef driven restaurants at a 3:1 rate compared to Atlanta and Dallas. The main reason for this I believe is the fact that D.C. is way more urban than those too, so all the buildings opening in D.C. are filling up with chef driven concepts across the city with high foot traffic.

Dallas and Atlanta don't have many places with high foot traffic in comparison so the area's where chef driven restaurants would open are a lot smaller and concentrated in those few urban nodes. It's pretty unprecedented analyzing the amount of chefs on their way to D.C. with new restaurants. They are coming from Charleston, New York, Philly, San Francisco, L.A., Chicago, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, and overseas too. I don't know if all these chef's just want to have a presence here in the nation's capital or what, but it's pretty overwhelming how many are coming here right now.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:34 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C.'s international area's are in the middle of urban redevelopment currently. Highrise's and midrises are rising along those corridors. The international restaurants are returning to the city in D.C. There are so many international restaurants opening in the city it's hard to keep track of them.

Just to name a few:

Huge Columbia Heights News – Filipino Restaurant from Owner of Room 11 Coming to 11th Street | PoPville

I wonder which major commercial corridor in DC will be the next 14th Street or Restaurant Row as I call it sometimes.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I wonder which major commercial corridor in DC will be the next 14th Street or Restaurant Row as I call it sometimes.

Shaw is going to be the next restaurant row. Logan Circle and Mid City are pretty built out now. There are 20 restaurants opening in the neighborhood and that is only about 1/3 of the announcements that will be coming with all the construction going on in Shaw. There will probably be close to 60 restaurants opening in Shaw over the next two years.

This is what Shaw’s restaurant boom could look like

Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Just to name a few:

This isn't the same as the establishment of actual urban ethnic enclaves. Those days are pretty much gone since immigrants can live wherever they want to and aren't forced to live in certain neighborhoods in the central city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City