Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is most similar to Atlanta?
Chicago 7 6.80%
Detroit 13 12.62%
Minneapolis 24 23.30%
Cleveland 1 0.97%
Cincinnati 3 2.91%
Saint Louis 18 17.48%
Kansas City 3 2.91%
Milwaukee 1 0.97%
Indianapolis 25 24.27%
Columbus 6 5.83%
Omaha 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In terms of building stock, I would say so. They have a more modern feel than the other cities listed here. They both have those distinctive skybridges downtown as well.
Outside of downtown, Minneapolis is mostly a product of the early 20th century and not very modern looking at all. In the city Atlanta seems more spread out with small houses on big lots and a lot more stuff from the second half of the 20th century. Minneapolis is almost entirely streetcar suburbia with prairie school architecture (photos mine):

mplsjuly201329 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsjuly201341 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsjuly201346 by afsmps, on Flickr

mplsjuly201348 by afsmps, on Flickr

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-13-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-13-2013, 03:25 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
To be sure, explosive, sprawling, post-WWII growth AND a large AA population is not really a characteristic of the Midwest. And even where you'd have one of those traits, you're likely missing the other. And none has the same cosmetic quality either. Atlanta has a large sprawling downtown, but it does not have as concentrated an urban fabric as you'd find in the Midwest.
I have to disagree with you a bit here regarding Atlanta's downtown. It really is a mixed bag, but it does still have a nice chunk of its historic urban fabric left intact; the problem is that it's quite underutilized so outside of Pemberton Place (the area of Centennial Park, GA Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, etc.) and areas near the largest hotels (Marriott Marquis, Hilton, Sheraton, Westin, etc.), those parts of downtown have little reason to be frequented by visitors/tourists.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:26 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Outside of downtown, Minneapolis is mostly a product of the early 20th century and not very modern looking at all. In the city Atlanta seems more spread out with small houses on big lots and a lot more stuff from the second half of the 20th century. Minneapolis is almost entirely streetcar suburbia with prairie school architecture (photos mine):

This totally and eerily resembles Atlanta's in-town neighborhoods such as Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Little Five Points, Grant Park, etc. Amazing resemblance.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Pretty similar to the Atlanta Beltline

Grand Rounds National Scenic Byway Home Page.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Indy is comparable to Atlanta with regard to the clustering of its larger venues downtown and hosting big sporting events.
Huh? Target Field (MLB) is across the street from Target Center (NBA & WNBA) and the Metrodome (NFL) is about a mile from those two. The three are also connected via light rail.

As far as hosting big sporting events, Minneapolis has hosted the Super Bowl, World Series, and the Final Four.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times
People in the Midwest are not like people in Atlanta except for the blacks who migrated up here. I believe a lot of them are returning back to Atlanta which I think is great in the sense that people can be reattached with their cultural heritage (Atlanta and Georgia). People in Michigan, for example, have more in common with Canadians in mentality and speech than with people in Atlanta.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Huh? Target Field (MLB) is across the street from Target Center (NBA & WNBA) and the Metrodome (NFL) is about a mile from those two. The three are also connected via light rail.

As far as hosting big sporting events, Minneapolis has hosted the Super Bowl, World Series, and the Final Four.
I'm not sure what your point is here as my comment had nothing to do with Minneapolis whatsoever. Someone said that Indy was nothing like Atlanta and I mentioned its sports venues and history of hosting large sports events. I never said it was the only city similar to Atlanta in this regard so it would have been a really huge stretch on your part to assume such.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
This totally and eerily resembles Atlanta's in-town neighborhoods such as Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Little Five Points, Grant Park, etc. Amazing resemblance.
My reaction exactly; I don't think the poster of those photos realizes how much that looks like ATL!

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

Beautiful pics!

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
First of all, there are no cities in the Midwest even remotely like Atlanta. They just aren't like Atlanta, period. If you are looking for a city like Atlanta with a different cultural spin maybe try Dallas, Houston, PHX, or LA. But you won't find it in the Midwest.

To be sure, explosive, sprawling, post-WWII growth AND a large AA population is not really a characteristic of the Midwest. And even where you'd have one of those traits, you're likely missing the other. And none has the same cosmetic quality either. Atlanta has a large sprawling downtown, but it does not have as concentrated an urban fabric as you'd find in the Midwest.

Now, I admittedly chose St. Louis, and the reasoning behind that is because unlike the other cities, it actually does have a sizable AA community with somewhat of a cultural similarity in that aspect. While that is also true with Chicago, Chicago is too big and too urban, while the others are similarly too different. I feel you could argue that the STL metropolitan layout is also sort of similar, though this too is grasping. I think Clayton and Buckhead have some passing qualities in common. That said, the cities are very different.
Indianapolis has a sizable AA community and although it lacks star power on C-D, it is culturally more similar to Atlanta than St. Louis in my opinion. Both Atlanta and Indianapolis have over 226,000 African Americans in their respective cities. St. Louis has around 157,000. Minneapolis which is leading in the poll, has around 77,000 African Americans and has absolutely nothing in common with Atlanta other than perhaps building stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City