Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best scenery and outdoor access?
Seattle 37 82.22%
Denver 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:16 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,861 times

Advertisements

Cherry Creek, Chatfield, Sloan, or an hour away at Dillon! Which also hosts a huge regatta! No windsurfing though!

http://www.dillonopen.com/

Here is a link for water skiing, wakeboarding and surfing in Denver!
http://skisoda.com/

Last edited by MilehiDenver; 10-14-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 PM

274 posts, read 705,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"No need to be a jerk about it! Or anxious!"

You were sort of jerkish in your post when you said "could ever think of". Denver has all the same water activities, just on a smaller body of water! We can kayak in the middle of downtown! Of course no deep sea fishing I suppose! But We have far easier access to the mountains, so as others have said we trump you in that area, and you get the nod for water of course!

And 14ers of course are 14,000 foot peaks which Colorado has more of than even Alaska!
14000 feet from what?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Are you ignorant? No need to even answer your question as you are clearly trying to turn this into the dumb prominence debate that happens so often!

It has already been shown in another thread that Colorado has Taller Mountains, More Mountains, and draws more people to our Mountains.

Do we need to add skiing into the mix?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:46 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Seattle wins scenery easily. However, Denver can hold it's own when it comes to outdoor activity (lets not downplay it). The mountains are much closer to Denver than they are to Seattle. Seattle has scenery and water, Denver has proximity/access to the mountains. Both win

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm really curious on what body of water near Denver can you go sailing and windsurfing on lol.
Do people really think that being inland stops us from water activities? lol. We have lakes/reservoirs in the mountains and the city. And YES, they do count.

Quote:
Are you ignorant? No need to even answer your question as you are clearly trying to turn this into the dumb prominence debate that happens so often!

It has already been shown in another thread that Colorado has Taller Mountains, More Mountains, and draws more people to our Mountains.

Don't give them a reason to bash us

Last edited by Mezter; 10-14-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM

14,000 what? Come on now! That is begging for a response! And the original post about "more than you could ever think of" is so off base it is hilarious!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Do people really think that being inland stops us from water activities? lol. We have lakes/reservoirs in the mountains and the city. And YES, they do count:
No of course not, pretty much everywhere is near some body of water. Do you really think it's comparable to Puget Sound though? Lol

Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
"No need to be a jerk about it! Or anxious!"

You were sort of jerkish in your post when you said "could ever think of". Denver has all the same water activities, just on a smaller body of water! We can kayak in the middle of downtown! Of course no deep sea fishing I suppose! But We have far easier access to the mountains, so as others have said we trump you in that area, and you get the nod for water of course!

And 14ers of course are 14,000 foot peaks which Colorado has more of than even Alaska!
What is this we/you thing? I don't live in Seattle. But I'm sorry, it's scenery beats Colorado's hands down, and it's outdoor access do too.

Yeah. Okay. You can sit on a kayak in the middle of downtown Denver. With that sort of a comparison, Seattle has much easier access to mountains. They're right in the middle of town. They call them hills ... but, since you're comparing molehills to mountains regarding watersports ... let's do it for mountains, too. As for skiing - (according to info I can find) the nearest to Denver is 35 miles. The nearest to Seattle is 52. Not a huge difference. Where is it in Denver that you go scuba diving? Where do you go deep sea fishing? Where do you go crabbing? Where do you dig clams? Oysters? Where do you go surfing? Where do you sail? Where do you yacht? Where do you race dragon boats? Where do you row crew? Parasail? But I did actually find a real marina in the Denver area. Looks like great boating there on that little bathtub of a reservoir for those 50 or so boats.

And this beating the drum about 14ers. Can you do more on a 14K mountain than you can do on an 11K mountain? No, you can't. So who cares.

Quote:
I'm sure that's true. But then, mountains are all that Colorado has to attract anyone.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 PM

274 posts, read 705,953 times
Quote:

Just pointing out that you insist on focusing on a measurement taken from a reference point that is completely irrelevant in Colorado.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
When I moved to the NW from colorado, people talked about mountains. I wasnt sure what they meant. Outdoor activity in Seattle? Sure, if you think boating and hunting qualify as "sports".
Yeah, no ever skis or snowboards or hikes or climbs mountains in the several mountain ranges near Seattle. And no one ever hunts in Colorado.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Everything east of Denver is a barren wasteland (and pathetically so...we are talking finger in the throat: could not believe how brown it was near the airport when I visited late April 2011). Certainly the Rockies to the west of Denver are impressive. Seattle has great scenery in every direction...water to the west, mountains to the east and green forested land all around. BTW, I know four people in Colorado and only one in Washington. I am just calling it as I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City