Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Western USA city has the best public transit?
LA 8 16.00%
SF Bay Area 28 56.00%
Portland 5 10.00%
Seattle 1 2.00%
Denver 4 8.00%
Salt Lake City 2 4.00%
Phoenix 1 2.00%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Reno 0 0%
Sacramento 0 0%
Fresno 1 2.00%
San Diego 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times

Advertisements

I could say West Coast only, but there wouldn't be many cities if I did. I just wanted to know which cities in the Western USA had the best public transit systems. I didn't include Texas, because although Texas can technically be considered West, I still see it as more of a category of it's own. With that out of the way, please vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
San Francisco would be at the top of the list for me. A close 2nd would be Los Angeles. Then a distant third would be between Seattle and Portland.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
this

Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
phx? What a joke!

Old 10-15-2013, 04:03 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
In ranking order

1- SF Bay
2- LA
3- Portland
4- Seattle
5 - Salt Lake City
6- Denver
7 - Phoenix
8 - Sacramento
9 - San Diego

any others arn't even worthy of mentioning.

San Diego I ranked last as even though it has several miles of light rail, if I were visiting it doesn't really connect to any points of interest (Balboa Park/Zoo/Beaches/Airport) and I'd have absolutely no use for it (save TJ/San Ysidro border).

Denver will be great once FasTracks lines are complete though it is still falling short on rail service within connecting urban nodes the city itself. A Colfax line would be good.

Salt Lake City has very extensive coverage for a medium sized metro , probably better than any other metro of it's size in the US.

Seattle does well in that it's the only city outside of LA/SF that has a real subway/metro system and connecting urban nodes within the city with future subway service to Capital Hill, U District, and Northgate along with streetcar lines. When the light rail extensions to the Eastside (Bellevue/Redmond) are completed it will have one of the best mass transit systems in the US. They sure are a latecomer though. I always imagine what heavy rail may have been like if Seattle didn't pass it up in the 70's and Atlanta got MARTA as a result.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-15-2013 at 04:46 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In ranking order

1- SF Bay
2- LA
3- Portland
4- Seattle
5 - Salt Lake City
6- Denver
7 - Phoenix
8 - Sacramento
9 - San Diego

any others arn't even worthy of mentioning.

I ranked San Diego last as even though it has several miles of light rail, if I were visiting it doesn't really connect to any points of interest (Balboa Park/Zoo/Beaches/Airport) and I'd have absolutely no use for it (save TJ/San Ysidro border).

Denver will be great once FasTracks lines are complete though it still falling short on rail service within the city itself. A Colfax line would be good.

For a medium sized metro Salt Lake City has very extensive coverage, probably better than any other metro of it's size in the US.
I agree for the most part, but I think Denver is ahead of SLC. San Diego seems like it should be higher up too.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I would put Denver higher also, that fresh mountain air puts pep in your step and allows the transit to run more efficiently. While the same could be said for SLC, Denver denizens seem to be more pro pt.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Plus Denver is a bigger bus system!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:35 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Plus Denver is a bigger bus system!
Actually I think that's the very reason why Denver falls short. When one arrives downtown on light rail, they have to connect to a bus to get to the many urban nodes within the city, including the Colfax urban corridor, City Park, Cherry Creek, Colorado Blvd, and the medical districts. Denver needs more light rail within the city, or at the very least have some streetcar lines. Riding a bus that stops every few blocks sucks, it's too arduous and monotonous. To get from the suburbs, DTC, and in the future DIA TO downtown makes Denver's mass transit is great, even expansive. To get around the city of Denver itself, the transit system leaves a lot to be desired

Salt Lake City runs some rail corridors within town, and also a streetcar to the Sugar House area, not to mention they've completed airport connections and other light rail and commuter rail lines well ahead of Denver's proposals and projects.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-15-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Seattle does well in that it's the only city outside of LA/SF that has a real subway/metro system and connecting urban nodes within the city with future subway service to Capital Hill, U District, and Northgate along with streetcar lines. When the light rail extensions to the Eastside (Bellevue/Redmond) are completed it will have one of the best mass transit systems in the US. They sure are a latecomer though. I always imagine what heavy rail may have been like if Seattle didn't pass it up in the 70's and Atlanta got MARTA as a result.
Seattle has the highest transit ridership by %, outside of San Francisco. The currently existing rail is a small part of its transit system, Seattle's strength is mainly from just buses. Hopefully will change soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City