Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:53 PM

144 posts, read 186,555 times

Advertisements

How would you rate each city for starting and running a small business. And which city do think is best fit for a drapery business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:15 AM

484 posts, read 882,731 times
I would say DC and especially the Virginia suburbs. The area seems to really be growing and since it is wealthy I'd guess people are more willing to spend money for quality drapes. But Atlanta will definitely be the cheapest to start up. Atlanta is a business-friendly city, but I just think Washington, DC has a more stable economy. NYC is a great city. I love the place. But as far as opening a business... I just don't know if I'd do that. Now if you already have a solid business established and can afford to shell out a lot of money you should do fine in NYC. Most important things to consider are: who's your clientele (income, residential or commercial, etc.), how do you get the products to the buyers, how much space do you need to operate, and how big of a factor is input cost. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I would say DC and especially the Virginia suburbs. The area seems to really be growing and since it is wealthy I'd guess people are more willing to spend money for quality drapes. But Atlanta will definitely be the cheapest to start up. Atlanta is a business-friendly city, but I just think Washington, DC has a more stable economy. NYC is a great city. I love the place. But as far as opening a business... I just don't know if I'd do that. Now if you already have a solid business established and can afford to shell out a lot of money you should do fine in NYC. Most important things to consider are: who's your clientele (income, residential or commercial, etc.), how do you get the products to the buyers, how much space do you need to operate, and how big of a factor is input cost. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I do notice I get a lot of hits on my website from the DC, Richmond Virginia area, and very few from NYC and Atlanta. Is it expensive to start and run a business a business in the NYC and DC, what if its a home base business?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM

Yes NYC and DC are two cities with a high cost of living which translates to a high cost for business. Personally I would choose DC over NYC because it is growing at a faster rate and has IMO some of the best suburbs in the country. The height restrictions forced businesses into the suburbs in places like Arlington, Silver Spring, and Reston. This means business is more spread out and it is not mandatory you operate from the city proper. A home-base business means you work from home? If so yes I would assume it's less expensive b/c that's one less cost you have.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Dude, Atlanta is where you want to go. Atlanta is VERY pro business, low taxes, and there is a lot of talent here too. It's easier to network in Atlanta than it is in NYC and DC as well. Atlanta has some good ol boys in some sectors, but you can be successful in Atlanta without it. This isn't even a question. People here in City-Data are very anti-southern, but businesses are packing up and moving to Atlanta in droves for a reason. A more fair comparison would be Atlanta vs Dallas vs Houston. At least they offer the same perks for business.

I wouldn't run a mid sized business in DC or NYC unless my business relied on those markets in some way. And DC doesn't really have much of a private sector presence. Much of the population are tied into government in some way, even the private sector.

I think Atlanta just offer more diversity than DC in terms of market. But of course the private market is ALWAYS subject to some fluctuation. DC is a more "sure" bet, especially if your company is tied up in government in some way. But it's probably a much harder market to enter or survive in.

Atlanta should be fine for the type of business you're starting. It's cheaper cost of living, meaning people are more likely to buy luxury items like draperies.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
It may depend on incentives to start/open a business in each area as well.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Dude, Atlanta is where you want to go. Atlanta is VERY pro business, low taxes, and there is a lot of talent here too. It's easier to network in Atlanta than it is in NYC and DC as well. Atlanta has some good ol boys in some sectors, but you can be successful in Atlanta without it. This isn't even a question. People here in City-Data are very anti-southern, but businesses are packing up and moving to Atlanta in droves for a reason. A more fair comparison would be Atlanta vs Dallas vs Houston. At least they offer the same perks for business.

I wouldn't run a mid sized business in DC or NYC unless my business relied on those markets in some way. And DC doesn't really have much of a private sector presence. Much of the population are tied into government in some way, even the private sector.

I think Atlanta just offer more diversity than DC in terms of market. But of course the private market is ALWAYS subject to some fluctuation. DC is a more "sure" bet, especially if your company is tied up in government in some way. But it's probably a much harder market to enter or survive in.

Atlanta should be fine for the type of business you're starting. It's cheaper cost of living, meaning people are more likely to buy luxury items like draperies.
Im not anti-southern. Most people use drapes in older houses and in colder climates.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

If everyone moves there business to Atlanta it will be as expensive as NYC or the Bay Area. Don't base your decision on the current trends in business migrations.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
If everyone moves there business to Atlanta it will be as expensive as NYC or the Bay Area. Don't base your decision on the current trends in business migrations.

So are you saying there isn't business in Houston or Dallas because they're cheap places to live? The presence of business does not automatically make a place expensive. It's the presence of business concentrated in one area that does. Both NYC and the Bay Area shows examples of this. Majority of the tech companies are in Santa Clara County. With such a large concentration it creates supply and demand. Also since the per capita salary is so high, people can hike prices. People live around Santa Clara for convience because commutes from the East Bay are terrible.

Atlanta has many businesses but they are not all in the same county. Some are in Fulton, many in Gwinett, many in Cobb, some in Dekalb. Because there are more counties companies can pretty much chose where they want to open shop. They aren't force to locate their business in a particularly business center. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston has larger decentralizationwhich keeps taxes low for businesses and COL low for residents.

When you cram a ton of businesses in one place, and have some of the highest taxes in the country you create density, which in terms raises prices. Plus California's selling point isn't a low cost of living, it's selling it's name and reputation. Same with NYC. Atlanta and Dallas selling point is low cost of living and being business friendly.

I can't believe you actually tried to simplify it that much. Really?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
So are you saying there isn't business in Houston or Dallas because they're cheap places to live? The presence of business does not automatically make a place expensive. It's the presence of business concentrated in one area that does. Both NYC and the Bay Area shows examples of this. Majority of the tech companies are in Santa Clara County. With such a large concentration it creates supply and demand. Also since the per capita salary is so high, people can hike prices. People live around Santa Clara for convience because commutes from the East Bay are terrible.

Atlanta has many businesses but they are not all in the same county. Some are in Fulton, many in Gwinett, many in Cobb, some in Dekalb. Because there are more counties companies can pretty much chose where they want to open shop. They aren't force to locate their business in a particularly business center. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston has larger decentralizationwhich keeps taxes low for businesses and COL low for residents.

When you cram a ton of businesses in one place, and have some of the highest taxes in the country you create density, which in terms raises prices. Plus California's selling point isn't a low cost of living, it's selling it's name and reputation. Same with NYC. Atlanta and Dallas selling point is low cost of living and being business friendly.

I can't believe you actually tried to simplify it that much. Really?
People act like idiots on this board. It's hard to believe this board is filled with educated people with degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City