Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
People act like idiots on this board. It's hard to believe this board is filled with educated people with degree.

I think people are just in love with certain places or regions, so they feel they must justify this love because some areas they may not care for are showing more growth than places that they are in love with. Businesses moving south is hardly a trend. It's an imperative for many companies that are getting gutted by taxes and legislation found in NYC or California. In the case in NYC there isn't even place to build or expand. Office space is expensive and you get nothing for sky high prices. NYC doesn't give a business incentive to stay there unless the business existence forces it to have to be local. For a lot of companies they don't need to stay local to a lot of areas so they go with smaller cost alternatives. Pretty simple, don't need a degree to understand this dynamic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM

144 posts, read 186,502 times
I very much appreciate your impute guys, but please don't turn it into a battle ground. Also, Texas would be another option to look into, but I am not too sure about this state for my type of business though, as I heard most people use shutters instead of drapes because of the heat.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 PM

484 posts, read 882,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So are you saying there isn't business in Houston or Dallas because they're cheap places to live? The presence of business does not automatically make a place expensive. It's the presence of business concentrated in one area that does. Both NYC and the Bay Area shows examples of this. Majority of the tech companies are in Santa Clara County. With such a large concentration it creates supply and demand. Also since the per capita salary is so high, people can hike prices. People live around Santa Clara for convience because commutes from the East Bay are terrible.

Atlanta has many businesses but they are not all in the same county. Some are in Fulton, many in Gwinett, many in Cobb, some in Dekalb. Because there are more counties companies can pretty much chose where they want to open shop. They aren't force to locate their business in a particularly business center. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston has larger decentralizationwhich keeps taxes low for businesses and COL low for residents.

When you cram a ton of businesses in one place, and have some of the highest taxes in the country you create density, which in terms raises prices. Plus California's selling point isn't a low cost of living, it's selling it's name and reputation. Same with NYC. Atlanta and Dallas selling point is low cost of living and being business friendly.

I can't believe you actually tried to simplify it that much. Really?
I didn't mention Houston or Dallas so to answer you're rhetorical question I did not say there weren't any businesses in Dallas or Houston. And when you said everyone is moving there business to Atlanta so it's a good idea is the point I'm criticizing. You may have had some valid points but saying that "everyone" is moving their business to Atlanta is not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City