Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think there are two kinds of culture (I might be wrong, but this is a guess on my part):

classical culture - the symphony, the opera, live theater, the ballet, the fine art museum, the sculpture garden, the retrospective film festival, national folklore dance troupes, "cordon bleu" dining, literature and book fairs, art galleries, etc.

... and then there is popular culture - dance clubs and discos, current movies and cinema, popular music concerts such as rock'n'roll and hip hop and country/western, the comix convention, fashion shows, holiday performances and festivities, block parties, fireworks spectacles, touring extravanzas such as Le Circle du Soleil, etc.

Both types of culture make life richer and more interesting.

What do you think?
I think you deserve more than one point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't consider culture to be comprised of museums, concerts, operas, or symphonies. Culture to me is the people, the accents, neighborhoods, street life, music, the food, the architecture, the politics, the intangibles, etc.
Culture is all these things. The tangible and the intangibles. What is up with this thread? Culture is what we do everyday. Sports is culture. Dancing is culture. And higher concentrations of culture attract people, and vice versus. This is why people around the world love and know New York City but most people could care less about Riverside, California. I don't think symphonies are for rich, snobby people either. Lots of people go to Boston Pops concerts and love them.

I'm just confused by all the confusion.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Culture is all these things. The tangible and the intangibles. What is up with this thread? Culture is what we do everyday. Sports is culture. Dancing is culture. And higher concentrations of culture attract people, and vice versus. This is why people around the world love and know New York City but most people could care less about Riverside, California. I don't think symphonies are for rich, snobby people either. Lots of people go to Boston Pops concerts and love them.

I'm not confused. It's my opinion, I don't consider a symphony to be culture because it's something that is more or less transferable and not specific to a certain city due to that city only. We ate swamp food because that's all we had, now we are known for it, the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra wasn't formed out of need and it doesn't shape who we are. If the orchestra is in grained in a city and it's population, then it counts, but that's pretty rare in most American cities these days.

Last edited by annie_himself; 10-28-2013 at 11:56 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I am neither rich nor snobbish but I love opera, classical music and the ballet. I grew up with that kind of music and played classical musical instruments. But I also enjoy other types of music like bluegrass, jazz and blues and more. I like other types of entertainment as well like theater and I used to attend SciFi conventions. I never missed an ice show when they used to come to Portland.

Limiting yourself to one type of one kind of entertainment I think would be very boring. Something for everyone.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am neither rich nor snobbish but I love opera, classical music and the ballet. I grew up with that kind of music and played classical musical instruments. But I also enjoy other types of music like bluegrass, jazz and blues and more. I like other types of entertainment as well like theater and I used to attend SciFi conventions. I never missed an ice show when they used to come to Portland.

Limiting yourself to one type of one kind of entertainment I think would be very boring. Something for everyone.
That's good, but you are the minority in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNOJ View Post
I agree, good post. New Orleans is known for their swamp culture and gators. How is gator meat by the way?
New Orleans isn't known for swamp culture, nor gators. Gator is delicious, lean. Love it blackened.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post

I think that most of the "snob" label comes historically from people who aren't interested in attending such events, and are telling themselves it's because they're not snobs. Making themselves feel better about not being interested.

Quote:
I'm not confused. It's my opinion, I don't consider a symphony to be culture because it's something that is more or less transferable and not specific to a certain city due to that city only. We ate swamp food because that's all we had, now we are known for it, the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra wasn't formed out of need and it doesn't shape who we are. If the orchestra is in grained in a city and it's population, then it counts, but that's pretty rare in most American cities these days.
So by your standard, there's no such thing as a Hispanic or Greek or British culture because it exists more than one place? And surely you're not claiming that New Orleans is the only place that has swamps or swamp food ... I mean, there aren't even any swamps in New Orleans, are there?

I suggest you look up the definition of "culture". Your opinion of the word, and it's actual meaning are greatly different.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
That's good, but you are the minority in the real world.

New Orleans isn't known for swamp culture, nor gators. Gator is delicious, lean. Love it blackened.
I disagree with you. I know a lot of people who enjoy a lot of different things. I don't go to these things by myself. I honestly don't know anyone who just sticks to one venue for entertainment but maybe that's because I have always lived in cities where there were lots of choices.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNOJ View Post
LOL, what? The metro area of New Orleans is the first thing I think of when a person says "New Orleans".
Um ok. But metro New Orleans doesn't have swamp culture. That's down in the bayous or Cajun country straddled along Hwy 90 and along I-10 is the Atchafalaya Basin. And of course further south down LA 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So by your standard, there's no such thing as a Hispanic or Greek or British culture because it exists more than one place? And surely you're not claiming that New Orleans is the only place that has swamps or swamp food ... I mean, there aren't even any swamps in New Orleans, are there?

I suggest you look up the definition of "culture". Your opinion of the word, and it's actual meaning are greatly different.
No. That's not what I said. An opera or museum isn't a country with thousands of years of history. In most of America's cities museums and the like are visited by children on field trips, random couples on dates, etc and majority of the population could care less. Cities like New York are unique in that more of the population attends these kinds of events rather than most people in OKC, Tampa, Charlotte, or Omaha.
No I'm not claiming anything about New Orleans. I'm talking about Louisiana as a whole. No there aren't any in the city itself. Although Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge is out in the east and it has all kinds of wildlife including gators and is in the city limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I disagree with you. I know a lot of people who enjoy a lot of different things. I don't go to these things by myself. I honestly don't know anyone who just sticks to one venue for entertainment but maybe that's because I have always lived in cities where there were lots of choices.
I didn't say any of these things. It's not like these events are the most popular events in the country.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think there are two kinds of culture (I might be wrong, but this is a guess on my part):

classical culture - the symphony, the opera, live theater, the ballet, the fine art museum, the sculpture garden, the retrospective film festival, national folklore dance troupes, "cordon bleu" dining, literature and book fairs, art galleries, etc.

... and then there is popular culture - dance clubs and discos, current movies and cinema, popular music concerts such as rock'n'roll and hip hop and country/western, the comix convention, fashion shows, holiday performances and festivities, block parties, fireworks spectacles, touring extravanzas such as Le Circle du Soleil, etc.

Both types of culture make life richer and more interesting.

What do you think?
Repped!

Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,960 times
Quote:
I don't know how subjective the definition of culture is supposed to be. I mean, what you're detailing is definitely culture, but so is all the other stuff whether you deem it so or not. Clearly the orchestra is engrained in parts of the population, since there are people who are in the orchestra and people who attend the shows they put on. Just because the culture isn't totally and completely unique to a place doesn't mean its not culture.

Culture defined: the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

Then you also have symbolic culture, but that's another point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City