Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Tex View Post
Who cares about a library?

I wouldn't fit in with New York because of the culture. I will pass on being around a bunch of pretentious people who would oppress me for being a cowboy. I like my line dancing bars, cowboy culture, rodeos and college football….. NY or any yankee city for that matter can't provide it. I would entertain Denver, Nashville or Wyoming though.
Then there's this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=brook...3,,0,4.15&z=17

NYC has its share of "bros" if you know where to look. They're not country types, they're [insert stereotype here]...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Link to stats to back that number up, please. Or is this just another factoid springing out of your head?
And do you have facts to back up your claim that most of American citizens patronize these establishments more than once each year out of sheer desire? No, you don't.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
And do you have facts to back up your claim that most of American citizens patronize these establishments more than once each year out of sheer desire? No, you don't.
I take my kids to each of the major museums in Chicago at least one time per year. Plus we have season tickets to the CSO for kids (three shows year). My wife and I have season tickets to the Goodman Theatre. We usually do a few small playhouses/year as well. I don't like Opera, actually, I just fall asleep it's too soothing. So my wife goes with friends.

Just one family, I know others who do similar things.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:39 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
Does anybody have the numbers of visitors symphonies receive every year?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Does anybody have the numbers of visitors symphonies receive every year?

That would be hard to compute since you're not saying on what scale. There are so many local theater, symphony, etc groups.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:06 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
I guess we could narrow it down to the major ones. E.g. New York Philarmonic

Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Looks like there are about 90 performances/events in the regular "season" at the NY Philharmonic. In a 2700 seat theater. Which puts it in the 250K range (a bit less than half who attend NY Jets games in any season). That doesn't count other performances. Such as a summer performance that came up when I Googled it (which ... you know, even you can do when you have questions like that), indicating there were about 63,000 attending one performance. I don't know if they do more than one in any given season.

Oh, and something indicated they'd recently (not sure when that was) played their 15,000th performance ... so in a concert hall the size they currently are in, you're looking at 40 million audience members. Certainly, many are repeats. But still ... even you have to admit that's a lot. Given that it's only one orchestra, and one type of art.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No even in NYC you can still go to Coyote Ugly even though it's tourist area... or there is the Naked Cowboy. You act like it is a Pace Picante sauce commercial.

Pace Picante New York City Commercial Parody - YouTube

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Ravinia festival which is the home of chicago orchestra only for the summer has over 600k attendance which is more than the entire season attendance of Chicago Bears games.

Just because these hick cities around the country people don't do these kinds of things don't mean the big boys like Chicago, Boston, NY, SF don't have large attendance for these so called "elitist" things.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
In the end let's recognize that though there is a complex relationship with city hall, these institutions--museums, orchestras, etc.--are independent organizations. They exist at the behest of your fellow community members, not some abstract "them." So if you're curious about why they're necessary, or why they're not, go out and ask. They're your neighbors. They'll give you a better local answer than someone anonymous on the internet a thousand miles away.

I think what you'll probably find isn't anyone defining proper "culture" but groups trying to create more and different cultural options for their community.

Last edited by Bunjee; 10-31-2013 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City