Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Boom City/Metro area in the West
Albuquerque 8 10.96%
Boise 14 19.18%
Denver/Front Range Corridor 16 21.92%
Fresno 1 1.37%
Las Vegas 6 8.22%
Los Angeles/OC/Inland Empire 6 8.22%
Phoenx 6 8.22%
Portland 6 8.22%
Reno 1 1.37%
Sacramento 6 8.22%
Salt Lake City 11 15.07%
Seattle/Puget Sound Corridor 24 32.88%
San Diego 2 2.74%
SF Bay area/Silicon Valley 12 16.44%
Spokane 3 4.11%
Tucson 4 5.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 06:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

St George Utah has been one of the fastest growing cities in the USA. Not sure if it's big enough yet to be a metro area but it will be soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think Seattle's boom is pretty overrated. It WILL have sustained relevance in certain markets. For the most part, Seattle is pretty much all tech at this point... As far as UW expansion... I have no reason to believe that the education market isn't subject to collapse in the next 10-15 years.
I stopped taking you seriously after your statement that Seattle is all tech. If you had half a brain to conduct some surface level research into Seattle's economy, you would discover that Seattle's economy is primarily healthcare, as UW is one of the biggest and most prominent health care facilities in the nation. That's right. UW. Apparently in your twisted mind, UW is not a contributor to a city's growth and is not a significant factor in the city's economy... which is perversely far from the truth. UW is a major driver of the city's economy. It's a leader in Seattle's health care industry, it promotes financing to many investments throughout the region, and it's a center for business.

Please research before vomiting falsities.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I stopped taking you seriously after your statement that Seattle is all tech. If you had half a brain to conduct some surface level research into Seattle's economy, you would discover that Seattle's economy is primarily healthcare, as UW is one of the biggest and most prominent health care facilities in the nation. That's right. UW. Apparently in your twisted mind, UW is not a contributor to a city's growth and is not a significant factor in the city's economy... which is perversely far from the truth. UW is a major driver of the city's economy. It's a leader in Seattle's health care industry, it promotes financing to many investments throughout the region, and it's a center for business.

Please research before vomiting falsities.

And again, considering the state of healthcare in this country right now, healthcare is not a booming industry. nothing healthcare related is going to have much market growth, especially with a continuous push to make healthcare public. Tech is the only industry prominent in Seattle that has any real potential of growth, because it's market driven.

Healthcare and Education are both markets that are completely politicized and in shambles right now. Very shaky futures, so having a prominent healthcare industry is nothing to brag about.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:26 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And again, considering the state of healthcare in this country right now, healthcare is not a booming industry. nothing healthcare related is going to have much market growth, especially with a continuous push to make healthcare public. Tech is the only industry prominent in Seattle that has any real potential of growth, because it's market driven.

Healthcare and Education are both markets that are completely politicized and in shambles right now. Very shaky futures, so having a prominent healthcare industry is nothing to brag about.
All industries of every category can fluctuate. Feel free to tell me what is not subject to "shakiness." And feel free to point to data that shows that healthcare isn't a major economic driving force. Until then, you're groundless criticisms are not even worth listening to.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:34 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I say Denver...it's the Rocky Mountain region capital and the oil money will be flowing for decades due to the oil sands/shale.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
All industries of every category can fluctuate. Feel free to tell me what is not subject to "shakiness." And feel free to point to data that shows that healthcare isn't a major economic driving force. Until then, you're groundless criticisms are not even worth listening to.

I don't need to show you anything. Sorry I'm not a statistic peddler, I'm a critical thinker. If you can't see logically why there is no growth for healthcare, then you don't understand how restrictive over regulation is.

The truth is, as long as you keep politicizing the healthcare market, it's going to limit the growth. It's really destroying the dynamics of the market, because it's really messing up the supply chain. Healthcare generally has a VERY big supply chain with a lot of middle men. So it's normally a job creation machine. However when you start making healthcare public, there is no question you destroy this dynamic. As a result, it's a stagnant market, not a growing one.

In contrast something that's not as politicized like say hospitality or IT has a ton of room for growth. IT is not going to fluctuate, because way too many people rely on technology. And this is for every imaginable thing in life, from recreation to finance. So it's going to be sticking around for awhile. I do think it'll hit a ceiling, but the market will always be a fairly dynamic one.

Unfortunately the same can't really be said about the healthcare industry.

And I wouldn't trust ONE statistic on the healthcare market. There probably isn't one unbiased source out there regarding it. I really take statistic as face value, and not as truth and facts. But if you want something empirical, then what is being done with the healthcare market goes against sound economic theory. so with that, it really isn't going to grow all that much.

And back on topic. I doubt Seattle can really be carried by the healthcare industry either. It's healthcare market isn't carrying it, and hasn't been in the last 20 years. It's biggest exports (and ultimately what attracts people to the city) is it's exports in the tech sector. The fact that Seattle comes up in any conversation concerning a booming city is mainly because of Microsoft and Amazon. And MAYBE Costco.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I say Denver...it's the Rocky Mountain region capital and the oil money will be flowing for decades due to the oil sands/shale.
Denver's downtown residential base has been growing exponentially with a big building boom of multi unit condos and apartments, especially near LoDo, Union Station, and up into Highlands (DenverInfill Blog). The Fastracks mass transit expansion is adding new light rail and commuter rail lines to every angle of the metro area, with the new West light rail line out to Golden/Lakewood started service this year with commuter rail out to the airport in a few more years. (FasTracks System Map). It's one of the country's largest mass transit expansion projects currently. The Union Station project is impressive as well.

Denver has an energy industry base, and natural gas extraction in Colorado. The oil sands is actually up in Alberta, Canada which is fueling robust white collar economy up in Calgary (another Western boomtown), and blue collar industry jobs in places like Edmonton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sands). I'm not sure how robust or diverse the economy is in Denver but it's a fairly prosperous and well educated metro and I'd expect it to grow quite considerably coming decades. I really like that they are investing in so much development at its urban core.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:56 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Not if Boeing moves its operations to South Carolina.
Boeing is not looking to move all operations to South Carolina- there is one particular piece- the 777x- that they are shopping around for locations to possibly move. The 777, 747, 737, 767, and majority of the 787 planes are still built around here without any real threat of movement. Aviation experts think the 777x will likely stay here at the end of the day due to what is already invested here in infrastructure, facilities, etc as well as the enormous tax breaks the state is offering to stay, but if in the unlikely chance they do move that piece- it is one segment, it would not slow down the economy of this area.

And on another note about Seattle, a lot of people don't realize this but Boeing is not the number 1 piece of the economy, nor is tech. Medical is actually the top segment- followed by tech, both of those areas are absolutely booming out here. Contrary to what someone else mentioned, there is no threat of the healthcare industry stagnating, no way- people always need healthcare, so there is tons of money in biomedical research, pharmaceuticals, hospitals, etc. There is no organized push to make healthcare public- it would be nice if it did go public as a benefit to the people, but it won't happen- too many in this country are against that and that's just the way it is- so this particular economic industry will remain very strong.

Last edited by jm31828; 12-04-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I hope cities in the Mountain West become boom cities. Denver and SLC are on their way imo! And Albuquerque has potential!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I've never been to Boise but everything I know and have read about it does indicate a boom in the near future.
All three of these cities have one disadvantage-weather. While none have exceptionally BAD weather, the winters can be a major turn-off to some people. That will probably limit their growth somewhat. I have lived in metro Denver for 33 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City