Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No Miami Beach is pretty urban. But Miami I have no idea why people say it's so much higher than Houston or Atlanta. It's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Yes, Miami Beach is urban as is downtown Miami, but much of the rest of Miami is mainly long streets and strip malls. Hardly urban and walkable. Have you ever tried to walk along U.S. 1/South Dixie Hwy? Not fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami Beach is urban based on every metric of urbanity.

Walkable
Dense
Heavy foot-traffic
street-level retail

I get that the city of Miami is overrated when it comes to urbanity, but Miami Beach has a legit argument for being the most urban city in the South. It beats out nearly every city, save for NO on every metric. Oh well. we've been doing this same song and dance on C-D for at least 5yrs. lol
considering the Majority of Miami Beach looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...&ved=0CMIBELYD

I beg to differ. Miami Beach doesn't come close to New Orleans. Despite the pedestrian traffic. And before anyone ask have I been there; yes I have. More than once btw

Miami Beach is more dense than urban. Once you move away from the shores. It's no different than Houston. New Orleans maintains an urban and dense core for a wider area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Do you really think that the people of Houston are unaware of what true urbanity is? And then you simultaneously claim that Waco(of all places) will be more walk-able than Houston? Please.

Yes, Houston is realizing what it takes to acquire true urbanity. The expanding light-rail is but one step.
You're doing too much off that comment. Do you live in Houston btw??

Old 12-13-2013, 01:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=of...12,254.65,,0,0

Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
But outside of culture, history, and its urbanity, Houston wipes the floor with New Orleans. Miami also wipes the floor with New Orleans.
But we're talking about urbanity here, so why are you bringing up stuff outside of that?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Just what I said. A downtown hardly constitutes an urban core. Every major city in the U.S. has a downtown.
Pretty much all cities have an urban core. Some are denser and more developed than others, but they are there.

Either way, you don't know anything at all about Atlanta if you think it doesn't have an urban core. Not even close.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
considering the Majority of Miami Beach looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...&ved=0CMIBELYD

I beg to differ. Miami Beach doesn't come close to New Orleans. Despite the pedestrian traffic. And before anyone ask have I been there; yes I have. More than once btw

Miami Beach is more dense than urban. Once you move away from the shores. It's no different than Houston. New Orleans maintains an urban and dense core for a wider area.

You're doing too much off that comment. Do you live in Houston btw??
While all of Miami Beach doesn't look like South Beach or Ocean Drive, more than enough of Miami Beach looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...bp=12,275,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...cbp=12,15,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...12,258.85,,0,0

On the flipside, not all of NO looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...12,314.84,,0,0

And alot of NO straight-up looks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+o...12,301.25,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+o...=12,71.33,,0,0

Does that look much more walkable are urban than Miami Beach? Those areas of NO look dense, but not urban.

And saying that Miami Beach away from the shore, is no different than Houston, is a little disingenuous. While the inner-loop of Houston is dense, Houston's inner-loop is much more disjointed density, and it's a way harder area to traverse by foot, then it is anywhere in Miami Beach, even in the more residential areas of Miami Beach.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:59 AM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Pretty much all cities have an urban core. Some are denser and more developed than others, but they are there.
Ever heard of Los Angeles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Either way, you don't know anything at all about Atlanta if you think it doesn't have an urban core. Not even close.
I lived in Atlanta's West End in my early 20s and I have visited the city many times. It does not have a well-defined core. Not like Houston.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 AM

416 posts, read 581,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
the CITY of Atlanta(not including suburbs)grew faster than any other city except New Orleans. Atlanta had the biggest difference of people moving into the city than suburbs.
Good for Atlanta. But look at the raw numbers for other cities (not the metro areas) and tell me what you see.

Quote:
Every city has a downtown but you said it did not have an urban core.What is a downtown if not an urban core?
A downtown is a place where people work. The typical American downtown is modeled on New York's grid system and its financial district (not the rest of Lower Manhattan). A downtown is only part of an urban core -- a very small part -- not the apotheosis of it. An urban core encompasses places where people work, play, and live. Houston has a much better mix of this than Atlanta because Houston does not have any zoning.

Quote:
i don't see what you are talking about.Especially compaired to Houston.
Houston's urban core is well-defined. It's the area within the 610 Loop. People live, work, and hang-out all over this area. It has some development problems, sure, but it is clearly the central part of the city.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:05 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
Quote:
New Orleans has the advantage of being a very old city, dating back before the American Revolution. Therefore, it is no surprise it would be walk-able. Same as density( though the inner loop of Houston is very dense.)

But outside of culture, history, and its urbanity, Houston wipes the floor with New Orleans. Miami also wipes the floor with New Orleans.
You Trippin but I respect your mind. Key word words you said NOLA is a old city almost 300 years old as a matter of fact. So NOLA is a PIONEER CITY because of its age just like Boston,Phillly,N.Y. etc. So I say to you modern/new cities RESPECT YOUR ELDERS they paved the way.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:56 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devout Urbanist View Post
Good for Atlanta. But look at the raw numbers for other cities (not the metro areas) and tell me what you see.

A downtown is a place where people work. The typical American downtown is modeled on New York's grid system and its financial district (not the rest of Lower Manhattan). A downtown is only part of an urban core -- a very small part -- not the apotheosis of it. An urban core encompasses places where people work, play, and live. Houston has a much better mix of this than Atlanta because Houston does not have any zoning.

Houston's urban core is well-defined. It's the area within the 610 Loop. People live, work, and hang-out all over this area. It has some development problems, sure, but it is clearly the central part of the city.
I see bigger cities with larger population obviously having more people move into the city but percentage wise Atlanta is doing better.
Why do you think these different article mention the growth by percentage and not "raw numbers"?

Its not the most accurate measure of how the area is growing that is why.

So you think having no "zoning" laws makes Houston more urban?WHAT!LOL!That is a new one!

Houston hardly has any street urbanity at all .Downtown Atlanta is noticeably more urban than Houston and its not even close.

You may have lived in Atlanta but it must have been Buckhead or Sandy Springs.A lot of people who don't live Downtown think they know what they are talking about because they go to work in Peachtree Center and take GRTA back to Actworth or wherever.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Very broad generalization. Some do, some don't. I'm a 49 year old Houston native and I have no accent whatsoever. Neither do any of my brothers nor my sister. My 71 year old dad has a very mild, barely detectable accent. That is something that is fading in Houston for the most part. I'm not saying Houston isn't technically part of the South, but accents have little to do with it. Besides, you hear those accents everywhere in Texas except maybe El Paso.

And have you ever heard Jennifer Garner? Sean Patrick Flanery? Brent Spiner? Renee Zellweger? Michael Nesmith? Wes Anderson?

Also all from Houston, with little or no accent. Not that a few celebrities can accurately represent the collective dialect of a metro of over 6 million people, but since we're dropping names.
Of course its a generalization.But its more common to hear a Southern accent in Houston than not.

Take Boston.Boston is a very muticultural and diverse city also but you can't go a day without hearing a Boston acccent somewhere in the city.

Accents are fading EVERYWHERE in most major cities as they grow.

Accents are a part of the broader culture of a region.The fact that you acknowledge they are fading is evidence of a area that has strong ties to its Soutern idenity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City