Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Interesting that natural history museums see so many more people.

And yes I agree that quantity of visitors does not necessarily reflect quality. But it's just one way of analyzing the question.
My guess for part of the reason at least would be the fact that it's easier to take children to natural history or science museums rather than art museums. For example, would a child rather see the Art Institute's impressionism collection or a German u-boat at the Museum of Science and Industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
School groups are always attending the natural history and science museums. I don't think it's really related to relative quality.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM

233 posts, read 368,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
The Getty is a fantastic place to visit, but actually is a mediocre art collection. Come for the architecture and gorgeous gardens, but I don't think the Getty would be in the Top 30-40 U.S. art museums.
I agree. Chicago certainly has better museums than LA in terms of collections and community involvement as does Boston and probably Philly. I doubt there is anyone on this board who has been to the majority of major museums in the US. I have been to the art institute, getty, and museum of fine arts in Boston and the Getty, for all of its gardens, is no where near as good as the other two.

If you're into art museums, the Louvre is so huge and grand it makes most US museums look pretty provincial.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
DC
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Boston
Cleveland

Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
To avoid unceasing repetition of the same 5 cities (which, no doubt, are in fact at the top), I'd like to throw in that, having recently completed a $350 million expansion/renovation, Cleveland Museum of Art, which already held one of the best collections in the country, is now one of the premier art museums in the US. Cleveland also has the Rock and Roll HOF, a brand new Museum of Contemporary Art, a respectable, if a bit dated, natural history museum, and.... drumroll..... the Christmas Story House and Museum. And, do I get to include Canton? Because if so, we have the Pro Football HOF also.
I was going to say Cleveland is quite underrated as a museum city, but it seems to have pointed out a few times already. Detroit is also a bit underrated in terms of museums. Both these cities got rich at about the time rich people were trying to create museums as legacies, which probably helps (though I don't know if that's the specific reason for either city).

Quote:

And yes I agree that quantity of visitors does not necessarily reflect quality. But it's just one way of analyzing the question.
The Natural History museum is always packed in DC. I think a major reason is how kid-friendly it is. On the other hand, the Gallery of Art, while attracting a good number of people, feels practically empty (there's a lot of space), so you can leisurely stroll around. It might be the Smithsonian's most underappreciated museum.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Don't we need a listing of the top museums as rated by critics, as opposed to the most visited museums?
Here's MENSA rankings (pardon for using Huffington Post):
Best Science Museums In The U.S., As Ranked By American MENSA (SLIDESHOW)

It's surprisingly easy to find decent lists for best science and children's museums and exceedingly difficult to find good lists for best art and history museums (especially history).

Last edited by pgm123; 12-30-2013 at 09:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:

KIDS! Natural History Museums can be a nightmare if it's some field trip day, and that is a lot of days...

edit I see a couple people covered this already, but yeah... Although there are sometimes cool ancient art at natural history museums, and Field has a cool Gem collection. The Egyptian section at NY American Museum of Natural History is pretty cool.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
KIDS! Natural History Museums can be a nightmare if it's some field trip day, and that is a lot of days...

edit I see a couple people covered this already, but yeah... Although there are sometimes cool ancient art at natural history museums, and Field has a cool Gem collection. The Egyptian section at NY American Museum of Natural History is pretty cool.
yeah good point, as a kid I always looked forward to the natural history museums - art museums not so much.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
NYC or DC should be 1 or 2, in either order. I think a strong argument can be made for either city. Then it is definately, IMO, Chicago or LA right after them.

My favorite museum in the US is the Met, I think it is on par with the great museums of the world and it is the only US museum that can compete with the likes of the Louvre, British, Museum, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post

My favorite museum in the US is the Met, I think it is on par with the great museums of the world and it is the only US museum that can compete with the likes of the Louvre, British, Museum, etc.
Most people in the art world consider the Met to be the most well-rounded major art museum on earth. It's usually grouped with the Louvre as among the top two art museums on earth, with Louvre stronger, but in fewer departments, and Met broader strengths, but not as in-depth in a few like Louvre.

In terms of actual size of holdings, Louvre is #1, and Met is #2. Met has world's largest art museum endowment, not sure about Louvre, but most European museums are publicly funded, so endowments are not as critical. Louvre is also #1 in attendance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City