Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 PM

23 posts, read 51,190 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I live in Allen. We are thinking about relocating to the north suburbs of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers...) because of family proximity, city size, weather...and I was wondering if someone who have lived in both areas can help us. We have jobs and a house in Allen and two little girls, we are what you can call "settle", but the idea of Indiana is very attractive .
Anybody have lived in both? any help?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:01 AM
H22

42 posts, read 101,771 times
I've lived in both- about what exactly are you curious?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 51,190 times
I'd like to know some about cost of living, weather (winter in Indiana, summer in Dallas), schools, family life, city size....some ideas to see if is worth it to move north. are the winters there that bad?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandoyanez View Post
I'd like to know some about cost of living, weather (winter in Indiana, summer in Dallas), schools, family life, city size....some ideas to see if is worth it to move north. are the winters there that bad?
Winters...well it's currently 16 degrees in Indy and feels like 8. The weekend forecast includes blizzard conditions and wind chills between -20 and -40 between today and Tuesday. Monday's high is forecasted to be -10 degrees. Having lived in both the northeast and Texas, summer heat is better than below freezing winter temps and shoveling snow!

How is the job market in Indy? I have family who live in norther Indiana and it is pretty depressed there. Lots of small towns struggling to find their identities after the local factories have closed. No oil & natural gas business to fuel the economy like we have in Texas.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Winters...well it's currently 16 degrees in Indy and feels like 8. The weekend forecast includes blizzard conditions and wind chills between -20 and -40 between today and Tuesday. Monday's high is forecasted to be -10 degrees. Having lived in both the northeast and Texas, summer heat is better than below freezing winter temps and shoveling snow!

How is the job market in Indy? I have family who live in norther Indiana and it is pretty depressed there. Lots of small towns struggling to find their identities after the local factories have closed. No oil & natural gas business to fuel the economy like we have in Texas.
Indy is central indiana not northern and the cost of living of fairly low. The local economy isn't depressed.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM

804 posts, read 618,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandoyanez View Post
Hello,
My family and I live in Allen. We are thinking about relocating to the north suburbs of Indianapolis (Carmel, Fishers...) because of family proximity, city size, weather...and I was wondering if someone who have lived in both areas can help us. We have jobs and a house in Allen and two little girls, we are what you can call "settle", but the idea of Indiana is very attractive .
Anybody have lived in both? any help?
Thanks!
I am from the east coast yet I found the Hoosiers to be some of the nicest people on the planet. Having said that Indy pretty much falls asleep by 9pm.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM

89 posts, read 179,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

The current weather is a basically a once in a generation type of event. Normally it's about 35 in January during day time. Regarding the extremely hot & humid summers vs cold & snowy winter, it really depends on the person. I come from the perspective that in colder climates with proper clothing you can still be comfortable outside and go about your business normally, on the other hand with extremely hot & humid weather there's not a thing you can do to make your self even remotely comfortable while outside. So you basically end up staying in doors or inside a car.

Indianapolis and Carmel specifically is not struggling economically. Since when did having oil & gas industry become a prerequisite to having a healthy economy. If you look at Carmel, the city is consistently ranked as one of the best small cities to live by Forbes. Unemployment hover around 5% and the median family income is $120K

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM

51 posts, read 137,632 times
I lived there from 1961 to 1986 in the NE section of Indy. Great city. You have all 4 seasons usually and if you like racing, you have the Indy 500. I went to school through 1st grade to graduation at Lawrence Central. I lived in Lubbock "against my will" for 4 long terrible years. I found the weather not so good in Texas. It seemed you had a hot summer with wind.....then cold cold cold. Not much water there as well. I myself would pick Indy hands down over Dallas or Texas in general.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Indianapolis leaves much to be desired. It kinda reminded me of a Midwestern version of OKC with pro football.

Needless to say, I'd go with Dallas on this one, and I don't even like Dallas very much.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:33 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Indianapolis leaves much to be desired. It kinda reminded me of a Midwestern version of OKC with pro football.

Needless to say, I'd go with Dallas on this one, and I don't even like Dallas very much.
Interesting but inaccurate comparison. Dallas and OKC have more in common than OKC and Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City