Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Florida but have recently been laid off and finding trouble getting a new job, especially one that pays well (most of the jobs here are in tourism which don't pay well), I have family in California who keep inviting me to come live with them. I have been to California before through visits and I did enjoy the state, lots of natural beauty and mountains (we have
no mmountains here in Florida) and the weather was great, much better than Florida weather during the summer. Anyway my family are friends with people who own a vineyard and they said they would hire me. I also would not have to pay any rent. I would be living in Sonoma County, Sant Rosa .

However my dilemma is that I have family here too, and I'm also a conservative Christian who enjoys firearms. I realize that California is very liberal and the exactoopposite of my political view , however I am not preachy about my beliefs and do tolerate and respect liberals eventthough I disagree with them.I am wworried about their gun laws however as I heard thatCCaliforniais anti gun aand anti hunting.

I think I could be happy in either place, but I sort of feel that there are not many opportunities in Florida anda lot mmore in California. I also would enjoy living in sucha appowerhouse state. Also I am a young man in his early 20s who is not married and has no kids. My goal is to find a job and go to college, I don't know what theccollege is like in California. California is more expensive but the wages are higherffromwwhatI uunderstand, I would be making13 an hour in California.

Just looking for general advice, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Santa Rosa, CA, correct? It's lovely and you're near Napa. I would absolutely love to live there if family would let me live with them for free.

You're in your 20s and concerned about guns? Do you carry for sport or are you nervous about crime? You really don't need to fear anything in this part of the Bay Area.

You can find employment in the good job market there and attend Santa Rosa Junior College.

In general, I say go for it! You're an hour away from San Francisco. I would've killed to have family there.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I spent a lot of time in California. There are more liberals in Hollywood than in SR. CA is 900 miles long. You will find all types of political and religious views. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Guns are not an issue in CA as much as guns in highly populated areas are the issue; it's the same in all large cities. As for hunting most of the hunters I know like big game, and go to Wyoming and Montana to hunt; dad liked skeet. CA doesn't have crocs or gators; winters are yummy. CA probably pays 4-5 times higher than Florida due to COL. The RTW laws stifle good wages.

Vineyards are hard, dirty work. But. Sommeliers make big bucks, and Vintners make the wines people buy. To have both experience and knowledge, and a developed palate is big edge over competition. Go to California and learn. At the end of a year you will know if you love or hate grapes. At the least you will be able to sell it by the case. You can learn to market at college while the learn the difference between French and American casks, and the many varietals.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Also, generally speaking, how is the job market in California? Even though I have a job lined up I would still like to know. Is it better than Florida and the rest of the country? I do know it's more diverse than here, as most of the jobs are in tourism.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Go West, young man.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I spent a lot of time in California. There are more liberals in Hollywood than in SR. CA is 900 miles long. You will find all types of political and religious views. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Guns are not an issue in CA as much as guns in highly populated areas are the issue; it's the same in all large cities. As for hunting most of the hunters I know like big game, and go to Wyoming and Montana to hunt; dad liked skeet. CA doesn't have crocs or gators; winters are yummy. CA probably pays 4-5 times higher than Florida due to COL. The RTW laws stifle good wages.

Vineyards are hard, dirty work. But. Sommeliers make big bucks, and Vintners make the wines people buy. To have both experience and knowledge, and a developed palate is big edge over competition. Go to California and learn. At the end of a year you will know if you love or hate grapes. At the least you will be able to sell it by the case. You can learn to market at college while the learn the difference between French and American casks, and the many varietals.
4-5x higher? lol..what?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Also, generally speaking, how is the job market in California? Even though I have a job lined up I would still like to know. Is it better than Florida and the rest of the country? I do know it's more diverse than here, as most of the jobs are in tourism.
Yes, for the most part, the job market in California is unequivocally better than in Florida, especially for educated professionals. More significantly, CA wages are more proportional to COL than in FL, where COL is totally out-of-whack with wages.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
What everyone else said, as well as the fact that you're living near the Bay Area; best economy in California. You can live with family while enjoying the high wages in the Bay... I don't know a person who WOULDN'T take that offer!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies so far! I really have a lot to think about, this is a big decision for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City