Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Birmingham if you like the big city vibe, Greenville if you like a smaller city with nature right downtown.

Even though the metros are the same size the timing of their growth spurt makes B'ham feel much much larger.

Personally I favor Greenville.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Birmingham if you like the big city vibe, Greenville if you like a smaller city with nature right downtown.

Even though the metros are the same size the timing of their growth spurt makes B'ham feel much much larger.

To clarify, Birmingham's MSA is 1.1 million, while Greenville's is 840K. While not a drastic difference, it is sizable.

Their CSA's, however, are more similar in size, being between 1.3-1.4 million.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 AM

34 posts, read 70,737 times
I think G,ville has a better upside and future than B,Ham despite the cities being about the same size. Bham does feel a little bigger though.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citystarter View Post
I think G,ville has a better upside and future than B,Ham despite the cities being about the same size. Bham does feel a little bigger though.
Because Birmingham is much larger than Greenville, the Greenville CSA is large and spread out, lacking in a large urban landscape like Birmingham.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citystarter View Post
The cities are not the same size; where are people getting that from? The CSAs are about the same size, but for Greenville, that's an extremely spread-out area centering on three urban cores (Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson) whereas in the Birmingham CSA, Birmingham is *the* primary urban core of the region. Since city population figures don't accurately reflect the size of either city, when you use urbanized population figures, you see that Birmingham's is 749,495 while Greenville's is 400,492 (and if you include adjacent suburban Mauldin-Simpsonville, it comes to 521,069). So Birmingham feels bigger because it is bigger; again, the cities are not the same size. And because it did a good deal of developing in the pre-war era as an industrial center, it also has a structurally denser urban core.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Lol. Birmingham is larger than Greenville in every sense of the word. Birmingham is also a true urban/metropolitan area. It's cohesive and built up. Greenville is way to spread out and suburban (relatively speaking).

Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Lol. Birmingham is larger than Greenville in every sense of the word. Birmingham is also a true urban/metropolitan area. It's cohesive and built up. Greenville is way to spread out and suburban (relatively speaking).
But the comment was that both metros are about the same size - which is true. Birmingham has a larger urban area and looks/feels more urban, but that doesn't change the fact that both metros are similar in population.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The cities are not the same size; where are people getting that from? The CSAs are about the same size, but for Greenville, that's an extremely spread-out area centering on three urban cores (Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson) whereas in the Birmingham CSA, Birmingham is *the* primary urban core of the region. Since city population figures don't accurately reflect the size of either city, when you use urbanized population figures, you see that Birmingham's is 749,495 while Greenville's is 400,492 (and if you include adjacent suburban Mauldin-Simpsonville, it comes to 521,069). So Birmingham feels bigger because it is bigger; again, the cities are not the same size. And because it did a good deal of developing in the pre-war era as an industrial center, it also has a structurally denser urban core.
True, but if the point is to compare MSA/CSA then they are similar.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:06 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
I'm familiar with both cities since I grew up in Birmingham and go down to Greenville on a weekly basis. There's really no comparison between the two. Historically, Birmingham had it's earlier boom as the South's largest industrial city producing steel at one time. It's larger urban core started long before Greenville became significant on the map. However, Greenville is currently the faster growing city with newer development primarily suburban. All around, I find Birmingham to be a more interesting city based on my experience. The only city in South Carolina I would prefer over Birmingham is Charleston.

You can see how much larger downtown Birmingham is compared to Greenville within the same radius on the same scale.

More photos I shot of Birmingham. The larger historic urban development was a result from an early industrial boom. In 1950, both Birmingham and Atlanta were similar in population.

View from the Vulcan Park over looking the city a top Red Mountain.

Vulcan at Vulcan Park is the city's own iconic statue. The world's tallest cast iron statue.

The city also has the 3rd tallest Statue of Liberty after NYC and Las Vegas located at Liberty Park. The flame when lit is actually real fire.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM

Okay, I think it has been established that the urban area of Birmingham is much larger (List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Is anyone still arguing that fact?

I have the same opinion as you - I would choose Birmingham between these two. But you really can't argue that the MSA/CSA are similar in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City