Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city for black professional s
Philadelphia 27 21.09%
Atlanta 80 62.50%
Houston 35 27.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 06:28 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
You stayed in Center City…

If you want to experience black excellence just hit up Wynnefield or the NW section of the city.

Professional crowd is low key like the founders of the city . don’t flaunt wealth around like new money Houstonians or Atlantans with designer clothes, suits, jewelry, and teslas.
More than half of the professional crowd that are flashy in cities like Houston or Atlanta are not originally from Houston or Atlanta though.

But my point being we're talking about Black professionals in general. Generally in their 20s and I didn't see a ton of 20 something year old Black professionals around the most vibrant parts of Philly like I would in Houston and Atlanta. Even those 2 are attracting Black professional tourist as well. Wynnefield and the NW section seem more geared towards families than singles. I wouldn't consider those areas beaming with 20 year old singles from out of town. Those look like well established middle class predominately Black neighborhoods. Definitely wasn't places Black locals were telling me and my wife to hit up for a night out on a town or a social gathering.

Again I'm not trying to discredit Philly at all, but I just don't see it on the same level as Houston and Atlanta when it comes to Black professionals in general. It's not one of the cities that's brought up a lot in those Black professional spaces. Rich in culture no doubt but I wouldn't consider it a top 5 for 20 year Black professional singles with no kids. As far as the Northeast, I didn't get the same vibe like I did visiting D.C. or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 11:44 AM

313 posts, read 160,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
More than half of the professional crowd that are flashy in cities like Houston or Atlanta are not originally from Houston or Atlanta though.

But my point being we're talking about Black professionals in general. Generally in their 20s and I didn't see a ton of 20 something year old Black professionals around the most vibrant parts of Philly like I would in Houston and Atlanta. Even those 2 are attracting Black professional tourist as well. Wynnefield and the NW section seem more geared towards families than singles. I wouldn't consider those areas beaming with 20 year old singles from out of town. Those look like well established middle class predominately Black neighborhoods. Definitely wasn't places Black locals were telling me and my wife to hit up for a night out on a town or a social gathering.

Again I'm not trying to discredit Philly at all, but I just don't see it on the same level as Houston and Atlanta when it comes to Black professionals in general. It's not one of the cities that's brought up a lot in those Black professional spaces. Rich in culture no doubt but I wouldn't consider it a top 5 for 20 year Black professional singles with no kids. As far as the Northeast, I didn't get the same vibe like I did visiting D.C. or NYC.
The reality not all Black professionals or any group not
Necessary in there 20s most barely getting there feet wet fresh out of college getting in there career.
A person could be a manager of a warehouse company
In there 30s or 40s not married with no kids can be
Just as professional then a person that work in suit or
Tie in Accounting at Down Town building it
Depends.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:56 AM

402 posts, read 369,584 times
Quote:

Agree 100 percent. If the third city in the list was DC, it would be an interesting vote.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:10 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Perhaps they....don't want to live in DC or NYC?
That’s impossible! According to arbitrary”best of” list (written by white people) Atlanta, Houston, and DC are Gods gift to earth for Black people while Philadelphia is Satans!

Old 07-20-2022, 02:16 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Yes, black Lawyers and doctors in Atlanta, Houston, and DC do not wear casual clothes

Old 07-20-2022, 02:30 PM

313 posts, read 160,137 times
Quote:
Yeah if D.C. was the third vote I'd easily choose DC followed by Atlanta than Houston. I would put a couple of other cities on this list above Philly too. Which leaves me perplexed honestly. You would think Philly would be a hotbed for more Black professionals seeking a urban lifestyle. It's cheaper than NYC and has the walkability and urban density to match. We had a really good time in Philly but for whatever reason it didn't feel like it was attracting A LOT of Black single professionals visibly out on the open. From my experience I'd probably place Los Angeles and Baltimore over Philly.
That make much sense affordability is the main thing
And being close proximity too New York and Jersey
Dc plus a good urban city with a large black community
With a longstanding black history and a good size black
Middle class. I agree Philly probably would be in the
Bottom 5 at the same time, single black men perspective
Seeking black women Philly Dc would score more then
La and San Antonio

Old 07-20-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yes, black Lawyers and doctors in Atlanta, Houston, and DC do not wear casual clothes
Nice strawman. Can you refute anything I said?

Marc Lamont Hill is Philadelphia professional class personified. You can catch him on SEPTA or in Germantown interacting with locals in his community. Be hard press to see Tyler Perry or Beyonce do the same.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Nice strawman. Can you refute anything I said?

Marc Lamont Hill is Philadelphia professional class personified. You can catch him on SEPTA or in Germantown interacting with locals in his community. Be hard press to see Tyler Perry or Beyonce do the same.
Nah fam you got it. As you said, us elitist blacks in Atlanta, Houston, and DC don’t interact with the locals. Bey don’t be in the hood.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Nah fam you got it. As you said, us elitist blacks in Atlanta, Houston, and DC don’t interact with the locals. Bey don’t be in the hood.
Another strawman, you're 2/2!

It pains you (and others on here) that people would rather live in Philadelphia instead of Atlanta or DC.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Another strawman, you're 2/2!

It pains you (and others on here) that people would rather live in Philadelphia instead of Atlanta or DC.
I’m literally agreeing with you. You clearly are knowledgeable about Philly Atlanta dc and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City