Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More urban?
Denver 6 23.08%
Portland 20 76.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 AM

437 posts, read 629,236 times

Advertisements

Of the 2 which would you say is more urban?

Walkability
Public Transportation
Built Environment
Density
Pedestrian Activity
Nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 AM

235 posts, read 755,934 times
Lived in both cities for an extensive amount of time. I will say Portland trumps Denver in all areas you mention. I never really got into living downtown Denver. It is rather large, but don't be mistaken, you will not feel like you are in a real metro city, aside from certain streets. 16th st mall is were a lot of foot traffic will be, not saying throughout the city people are not walking around, it is just not Portland, Chicago, NYC. With Amend 64, you definitely will see more people on the streets, mainly tourist though. Being a bicyclist, I will say Denver is a CAR city, and do not let anyone tell you different. I make it without a car, but I would go as far saying Phoenix, AZ is more bike-able. Aside from the Cherry creek bike trail, you will be in a losing battle against cars if you choose to walk or bike.

Night life is very traditional, if you enjoy clubs playing top 40 hits, twerking and crazy fights over who saw who first, you will like it. Not saying there is not places to go with an alternative vibe, these clubs are less plentiful.

Public transit really blows, I have lived in several parts of the city, and never been convenient to the light rail. Buses are primitive to me in a modern metro city of this size. They are infrequent, full of odd balls that will get physical, and get extremely crowded.

Portland is overall more welcoming, great downtown, I have lived all over downtown Portland, paying less than I ever did in Denver, even so now, living in Glendale. There is a free streetcar/really just a small light rail, that will connect you to all the trains and buses, going down to the riverfront, all the way up to NW/Nob hill/Alphabet district. I rarley even paid for transit being a biker though, Portland is constantly improving their bike system, putting pretty much every other city to shame in this area. Night life is more laid back, more alt venues, music, street food is open real late in SE /Hawthorne and 12th ave.
People are out and about more, Denver like I said before is a car city.
Hope I helped a bit
Lived in Portland 2 years, Denver 3+, NYC native.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:48 AM

10,750 posts, read 23,822,981 times
^The thing about Denver's light rail is its very park and ride based, so it helps downtown Denver in terms of urban vibrancy as there is a lot of residential infill happening around downtown and LoDo, and the Union station developments are impressive. The pedestrian bridge connections over the tracks and I-25 have spawned urban infill into the Highlands as well. But the light rail totally misses the urban neighborhoods like Capital Hill, and areas that could benefit from it like Colfax Ave, Colorado Blvd, and Broadway/Lincoln.

The light rail pretty much functions as funneling suburban commuters into downtown and not much more. There needs to be an intra-city line. I think one going from downtown along E. Colfax and then Colorado Blvd would be a good start.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM

235 posts, read 755,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
^The thing about Denver's light rail is its very park and ride based, so it helps downtown Denver in terms of urban vibrancy as there is a lot of residential infill happening around downtown and LoDo, and the Union station developments are impressive. The pedestrian bridge connections over the tracks and I-25 have spawned urban infill into the Highlands as well. But the light rail totally misses the urban neighborhoods like Capital Hill, and areas that could benefit from it like Colfax Ave, Colorado Blvd, and Broadway/Lincoln.

The light rail pretty much functions as funneling suburban commuters into downtown and not much more. There needs to be an intra-city line. I think one going from downtown along E. Colfax and then Colorado Blvd would be a good start.
I couldn't agree more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City