Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greater LA or San Francisco Bay Area
Greater Los Angeles 105 44.30%
San Francisco Bay Area 132 55.70%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM

411 posts, read 719,940 times

Advertisements

Also, saying the Bay Area is just "tech" is like saying Texas is just "energy" or NYC is just "finance + some advertising/marketing/media"

Even ignoring the statement's inaccuracy, "tech" is a broad (and very profitable high margin) and huge industry that's only growing and becoming more important to the economy and people's lives. It's not like "tech" = cars or steel. So if it's the case that the Bay Area dominates the (world's) tech scene, I'm pretty content with that. It also suggests that the Bay Area's economy is one of the richest and largest in the world...which it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
SF is also the banking, legal and publishing hub of the Western U.S. Also #1 in the U.S. for new media, which is separate from "tech"

As the poster above says, tech is many things. SF is in all of it. Hardware, corporate software, internet companies, new media companies, social networking.

It's also a heavy research city in general for medicine, defense, along with having very strong leading universities. A top 4 university (HYPS) (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford) and the #1 public university in the country, (UC Berkeley)

SF also has it's hands in Film, LucasArts, Industrial Light and Magic, and Pixar are all in SF.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:55 PM

40 posts, read 169,692 times
Imagine what would happen if Southern California taxpayer dollars weren't spent to subsidize Northern California...

Old 02-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Imagine what would happen if Northern California water wasn't used to subsidize Southern California.

Aquafornia

Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Imagine what would happen if Northern California water wasn't used to subsidize Southern California.

Aquafornia
Well considering SoCal subsidizes the rest of the state ( including the hundreds of dollars taken out of my paycheck every month), I think a little water is a fair price to pay to make sure California's economic engine doesn't die.

Google has plenty of Southern California campuses. Along with many other tech companies. I guess SoCal is starting to inch into the literal thing the Bay Area is known for.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Tech? You don't say, and here I thought the only thing they were known for was Rice-A-Roni.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM

US property: Silicon Beach tech hub sparks boom in LA’s Westside - FT.com

Silicon Beach housing prices surge as techies move in - Los Angeles Times

LA's becoming a major player in tech as well.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
If we were to go only by your metrics, OP, why in the world would you ever leave NYC? NYC's GDP crushes LA's. It's economy is stronger and more diverse. Its more ethnically diverse (LA has a higher percentage of foreign born, but NYC has a greater diversity of foreign born,) more urban, better transit, more cosmopolitan, etc., etc. Can you see how ridiculous you sound?

It's great that you love LA, and that you're happy there but please take off the blinders. Outside of a few choice areas, LA is sprawl. You're confusing sprawl with country and suburban. LA is a sprawling urban area. Period. SF is the denser, more walkable and transit friendly city. Add the beautiful natural setting, lower crime rate, booming economy, cleaner urbanscape, and it's understandable why many people will prefer SF.

P.S. LA will never rival NYC in the future, but rest assured its place as America's second city is secure for the foreseeable future.
My point is that given everything that both SF Bay and LA offer,
LA offers everything that SF Bay does while the reverse isn't true.

Napa Wine Country, Southern California has plenty of wine growing areas.
Hiking in Marin? LA has the most urban hiking in the country
SF urbanity may not exist as much in LA, but LA is plenty urban enough.

Given that Southern California has grown by at least
1 million people every decade for the past 100 years, it's just beyond me how someone would willingly choose SF over LA. But opinions are opinions

Old 02-16-2014, 06:03 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer of Lies View Post
Well considering SoCal subsidizes the rest of the state ( including the hundreds of dollars taken out of my paycheck every month), I think a little water is a fair price to pay to make sure California's economic engine doesn't die.

Google has plenty of Southern California campuses. Along with many other tech companies. I guess SoCal is starting to inch into the literal thing the Bay Area is known for.
Uhh it is the other way around buddy. Norcal has much higher per capita incomes, while so cal has a much higher welfare/food stamp rate.

If the state were split in two, norcal would be fiscally solvent, and so cal would be dependent on federal aid.

Either way, we all know the bay is going to win this poll.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM

143 posts, read 332,437 times
Well OP, you can't spell LAst pLAce without LA.

Bay area by far. LA is a waste(d) land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City