Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll
Westheimer (Houston) 30 46.88%
Peachtree (Atlanta) 34 53.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Anyone that doesn't vote for Peachtree hasn't been on Peachtree. It is THE main drag in Atlanta. Westheimer doesn't serve that same purpose as Houston is laid out in a completely different fashion. Peachtree is a lot more urban in design and has a much nicer streetscape. Westheimer has horrible sidewalks and bad lighting in a lot of areas.

Post Oak Blvd in Uptown Houston is their version of the Peachtree section in Buckhead so it's not exactly an even comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Westheimer isn't Houston's main street. I'd say the responsibility is shared between Main Street, Post Oak, Westheimer, San Felipe, Elgin, and Richmond. Westheimer closer to Downtown becomes the street known as Elgin.

Westheimer was named after German-Jewish Houston resident Mitchell Westheimer, a successful Inner Loop business man in Houston's history. It's upscale portions, where it dictates the seventh-to-eleventh (fluctuates, but always higher than Peachtree) highest rent in the country are all inside the Inner Loop, which is more local stores, mom and pop, and Houston or Texas specific things. West of Downtown and east of Uptown. Outside of the loop it is generic chain dominated and wide bodied sprawl. However based on the responses, I think some of the Atlantans spend too much time outside the loop when they visit Houston.

Based on that, I think Peachtree is the most prevalent thoroughfare in all of Georgia, so it wins because it means more to Atlanta than Westheimer to Houston.

Houston's street has to be Main Street, and even that is by no means a lock.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Sure I see why not, do you have a Google streetview link?
I couldn't find a good streetview for you. Elgin @ Smith is the only thing I could find and that doesn't even come close to that pic of Peachtree. The only thing that could match that pic of Peachtree is Main Street going through Downtown.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 PM

437 posts, read 628,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I couldn't find a good streetview for you. Elgin @ Smith is the only thing I could find and that doesn't even come close to that pic of Peachtree. The only thing that could match that pic of Peachtree is Main Street going through Downtown.
Yea Main Street does have intersections like that.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Houston's most urban neighborhoods are tied to Main Street. Houston's best neighborhoods are tied to San Felipe and Westheimer though. Best neighborhoods in Houston will always be the low-rise and lower density 4,500-8,500 people per square mile single family early 1900's era homes. Both in terms of commercial, nightlife, and residential sense.

Houston's densest and most urban neighborhoods are becoming sterile and generic new urbanist places like Upper Kirby, Midtown, East Downtown. Reminds me too much of the nonsense here in the DMV, very very sterile and character lacking.

I think the Museum District, Binz, and Neartown are the only areas of Houston outside of Downtown that'll come out looking urban in the way most people not from Houston want urban to be, as they infill.

Uptown and Allen Parkway are becoming residential high-rise districts. Uptown in suburban form, Allen Parkway in a car friendly but urban form, as each infill.

Just my opinion though on the best neighborhoods thing.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
This shouldn't be as close as it is. Peachtree definitely beats out Westheimer. Watch the videos that someone posted on page 2, and you'll see why Peachtree wins.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Westheimer isn't Houston's main street. I'd say the responsibility is shared between Main Street, Post Oak, Westheimer, San Felipe, Elgin, and Richmond. Westheimer closer to Downtown becomes the street known as Elgin.

Westheimer was named after German-Jewish Houston resident Mitchell Westheimer, a successful Inner Loop business man in Houston's history. It's upscale portions, where it dictates the seventh-to-eleventh (fluctuates, but always higher than Peachtree) highest rent in the country are all inside the Inner Loop, which is more local stores, mom and pop, and Houston or Texas specific things. West of Downtown and east of Uptown. Outside of the loop it is generic chain dominated and wide bodied sprawl. However based on the responses, I think some of the Atlantans spend too much time outside the loop when they visit Houston.

Based on that, I think Peachtree is the most prevalent thoroughfare in all of Georgia, so it wins because it means more to Atlanta than Westheimer to Houston.

Houston's street has to be Main Street, and even that is by no means a lock.
Interesting, and kind of cool, that Houston has so many contenders for its "main" street. It's a one-horse race in Atlanta.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,024 times
I am interested in seeing where main st goes with it development.. with so much develop on the books for main and a rumored office tower planned for the midtown section of main..I think if it happens it will be the spark for more office towers along main outside of the cbd or medical center

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Anyone that doesn't vote for Peachtree hasn't been on Peachtree. It is THE main drag in Atlanta. Westheimer doesn't serve that same purpose as Houston is laid out in a completely different fashion. Peachtree is a lot more urban in design and has a much nicer streetscape. Westheimer has horrible sidewalks and bad lighting in a lot of areas.

Post Oak Blvd in Uptown Houston is their version of the Peachtree section in Buckhead so it's not exactly an even comparison.
I was gone say this alladis but I was too lazy to type it out. Thank you for doing it for me.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM

632 posts, read 932,674 times
Peachtree is much more well known nationally than the other one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City