Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich city is better ?
Washington D.C. 129 48.86%
Philadelphia 135 51.14%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:55 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Everyone knows LAs Skyline
I beg to differ; there have been more than a few music videos shot from atop DTLA skyscrapers, but it seems to me that the city skyline itself isn't shown all that often, and the Santa Monica Mountains as backdrop may not be a big enough clue. The Hollywood sign is the most recognizably "LA" structure.

Furthermore, I think that the night shot of the LA Basin stretching south from downtown, which KCET Los Angeles uses as the producer ID for PBS shows that originate there, may be more familiar to a segment of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 12:42 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I beg to differ; there have been more than a few music videos shot from atop DTLA skyscrapers, but it seems to me that the city skyline itself isn't shown all that often, and the Santa Monica Mountains as backdrop may not be a big enough clue. The Hollywood sign is the most recognizably "LA" structure.

Furthermore, I think that the night shot of the LA Basin stretching south from downtown, which KCET Los Angeles uses as the producer ID for PBS shows that originate there, may be more familiar to a segment of the population.
I'd argue that LA has the second most recognizable skyline after NYC. LA probably has 50 times as many film credits as Boston, Chicago, DC, Seattle and Philly combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNiAcvN-DDg

I don't even think this is close, honestly.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:32 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
New York is probably the only widely recognizable skyline in the US. San Francisco would likely come second.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:54 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

But the LA skyline viewed from the south, with a backdrop of snowy mountains (on a clear winter day) is notable.
It's also a scene that, of course, could not be duplicated in any other of the biggest US metros.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
I agree that LA is probably the 2nd most known. DC should rank pretty high as well.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:37 PM

85 posts, read 58,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree that LA is probably the 2nd most known. DC should rank pretty high as well.
The Hollywood sign is probably the most known landmark in America, But the NYC skyline is 2nd to none!

Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Agree with most. NYC has the most recognizable skyline, followed by DC. Then probably LA. Next I’d go with a tie for Chicago, Seattle, and San Francisco.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:01 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
I have always said DC doesn't have a skyline.

what DC's skyline? the monument? You drive into the city on 395 dont see a skyline, not even on 295..

I always thought silhouettes I've seen of DC's skyline were just artist renderings...

I have a better understanding of Rosslyn, VA's skyline

EDIT:

Skyline?
https://images.app.goo.gl/CYQtRLeduBNvvB7V8
https://www.123rf.com/photo_28239377...tol-build.html
https://images.app.goo.gl/w9DpGxUPwGaLVM7D7

Old 03-07-2021, 09:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
^^^ you just answered your own question. It’s one of the instantly most recognizable skylines at that. DC doesn’t have a skyline of “skyscraper” edifices, but it certainly has a notable skyline of iconic structures.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maybe for the last 10/15 years. And I don't think they strive for height limits...
American cities strive to be like European cities for their density and vibrancy. Skyscrapers don’t create vibrant cities. Urban design and sustained urban structural density with retail mixed use buildings create vibrancy and that’s what American cities are trying to create. American cities suffer from having a vibrant downtown and dead residential neighborhoods which is in contrast to a city like Paris for instance. If American cities built outside of their downtowns in residential neighborhoods, they would greatly improve on an international scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City