Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Brightest Future
Sacramento 100 85.47%
Fresno 10 8.55%
Bakersfield 7 5.98%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 02:04 PM

266 posts, read 334,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
2015 GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT in Millions of Dollars

SACRAMENTO Metro Area- $118,822

Fresno Metro Area - $38,830

Bakersfield Metro Area - $35,839

Fresno's Metro is twice the size of Bakersfield's Metro so you would think Fresno Metro would have twice the GDP, but it does not. Either Bakersfield is very productive or Fresno is very unproductive.

Sacramento Metro is twice the size of Fresno's Metro yet Sacramento's Metro has more than three (3) times the GDP as Fresno. Sacramento is much more per productive per capita than Fresno.
Bakersfield's metro is not twice as small as Fresno's. Wtf! Almost 900k vs 1 million

Google says Sacramento is almost four hours to Yosemite valley and Fresno is 2 hours 20 minutes.

Start fact checking, please. You'd get into less arguments if you did.

Edit: google now says sac is 3:40 to Yosemite valley. Google used to say 3:52, I guess a closed freeway must have opened up recently. Its still more than an hour behind

Last edited by Flovis; 04-01-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-CHI-CO View Post
Anyone who thinks Fresno can match up to Sacramento hasn't spent time in either. Fresno has a ton of potential, but kinda botches everything it attempts - if they can pull off the reopening of Fulton street it might do great things for the city core, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Being in the valley, Sac has everything that makes Fresno good (proximity to mountains, mild winters, great produce - the surrounding area of Sac is way nicer than the Fresno area, too, with the exception of Yosemite and Kings Canyon in Fresno) but has qualities of an actual city (walkable core, night life, usable transit, a downtown that doesn't look like a post-apocalyptic zombie movie). Plus the proximity to the Bay Area will always be in Sac's favor.
Fresno has cheaper land than sac, less flood risk, and has a much better HSR location.
Fresno should be growing faster in GDP than sac because its so much cheaper and less developed, but I won't believe it until I see it. I don't have a lot of faith in Fresno's politicians.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:18 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Downtown Sac to Tahoe: 1hr, 57 mins

Sac to Yosemite: 3 hours, 38 mins

Fresno to Tahoe: 4 hours, 18 mins

Fresno to Yosemite: 2 hours, 24 mins

Folsom to Tahoe: 1 hour, 41 mins

Clovis to Yosemite: 2 hours, 26 mins

Sacramento/Folsom is closer to Tahoe than Fresno/Clovis is to Yosemite

Sacramento is closer to Yosemite than Fresno is to Tahoe.

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-01-2017 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 08:25 PM

102 posts, read 123,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Fresno has cheaper land than sac, less flood risk, and has a much better HSR location.
Fresno should be growing faster in GDP than sac because its so much cheaper and less developed, but I won't believe it until I see it. I don't have a lot of faith in Fresno's politicians.

There are places in the middle of the Mojave that have cheaper land and less flood risk - In terms of being an actual city, Fresno has a lot of catch up to do to make it to Sacramento status. Like I said, huge potential, just not being met.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Downtown Sac to Tahoe: 1hr, 57 mins

Sac to Yosemite: 3 hours, 38 mins

Fresno to Tahoe: 4 hours, 18 mins

Fresno to Yosemite: 2 hours, 24 mins

Folsom to Tahoe: 1 hour, 41 mins

Clovis to Yosemite: 2 hours, 26 mins

Sacramento/Folsom is closer to Tahoe than Fresno/Clovis is to Yosemite

Sacramento is closer to Yosemite than Fresno is to Tahoe.
Google.com has sac to Yosemite valley at 3:39(it dropped from 3:40)

Fresno to Yosemite valley is now at 2 hours 9 minutes

I'll take googles word over your word anyday of the week.

Tahoe is awesome, but Fresno has some very nice lakes nearby that can fill the lake void. There's only one place like Yosemite.

I prefer Yosemite over tahoe, but to each his own. There's no wrong choice between the two.

Edit: sacramento (whose talking about Folsom and Clovis?) To lake Tahoe is 2:06 on google, lol. You win by 3 minutes! Congrats

Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-CHI-CO View Post
There are places in the middle of the Mojave that have cheaper land and less flood risk - In terms of being an actual city, Fresno has a lot of catch up to do to make it to Sacramento status. Like I said, huge potential, just not being met.
That stuff matters when you're trying to gentrify a downtown tho. Companies would rather spend money where the cost to do business is cheaper and there's no risk of a tsunami/flooding(yes, parts of sac are at it risk of a tsunami). If all goes well, Fresno's downtown should be thriving before HSR gets finished. Fingers crossed

Old 04-01-2017, 10:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
I prefer Sacramento

Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 AM

102 posts, read 123,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
That stuff matters when you're trying to gentrify a downtown tho. Companies would rather spend money where the cost to do business is cheaper and there's no risk of a tsunami/flooding(yes, parts of sac are at it risk of a tsunami). If all goes well, Fresno's downtown should be thriving before HSR gets finished. Fingers crossed
I sincerely hope Fresno's downtown makes a come back. Sacramento's downtown/midtown are currently outpacing Fresno's development quite a bit, with noticeable results - flood risk and price of real estate aren't stopping development in Sacramento's central districts. As far as Fresno, once Fulton is opened up we will see - I've heard there has been a lot of interest on that street amongst developers. And I'd say it's a safe bet downtown Fresno will be redeveloped well before HSR is completed in 50 years (if ever).

Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times
This thread should be Stockton - Modesto - Fresno - Bakersfield. Far fairer discussion.

Leave Sacramento out, as it will, by default, have a short- and long-term advantage over these other cities.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Leave Sacramento out, as it will, by default, have a short- and long-term advantage over these other cities.
Not sure what you mean by short term and long term advantage? I can speculate, but it better if you explained exactly what you mean?

Not sure what is wrong with these comparisons as they are the 3 largest Central Valley cities. If one is looking for Central Valley cities with the largest populations and largest job opportunities these would be the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City