Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
MD has a form that is basically DC contruct i the model that all others are compared to and sets the frames such that it compares all to the DC development style - DC is more the outlier on many aspects due to many influences from the Gov't etc.
Exactly. I understood the context of the OP's question being not just urban buildings but urban ambiance/environment. I work in downtown DC, and I am pretty experienced with the kind of environment it has.

Is downtown DC impressively built-out? Absolutely. There are probably fewer surface lots in DC than any other city except NYC. But not all buildings are equally conducive to an urban/walkable experience, and downtown DC has a distinct urban form that is very skewed toward utilitarianism and uniformity that is completely different from downtowns in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and Philadelphia -- which all have a much more organic feel.

This is a much more nuanced discussion that statistics cannot necessarily contribute to, but insofar as we are talking about all aspects of urbanism, I think it is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM

437 posts, read 628,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
But there are cities and municipalities more dense than LA. Just that no one knows about them because they are only 1 square mile, and aren't known on a first name basis. You and I both know that Chicago is still more dense than LA, just not by much (only 3,000).

The thing about LA is that it is not a matter of if, but when. People are still moving into the city, which speaks for itself, so I really do not understand how these conversations digress the way they do on here.
it actually isn't because we're not comparing pound for pound or as I like to put it sq mile for sq mile, this thread will help to explain it:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...density-5.html

Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
If we're talking the 50 sq miles of the core, LA is already denser than Chicago, however this thread has nothing to do with population density so I'm not sure why people keep bringing it up.
Nah, talking even smaller, like 15 sq miles.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
it actually isn't because we're not comparing pound for pound or as I like to put it sq mile for sq mile, this thread will help to explain it:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...density-5.html
The only thing I am maintaining is that the entire city of Chicago is more dense than the entire city of LA. I already stated that LA had more neighborhoods with a density of greater than 10,000 per square mile than any other city with the exception of NY. That much proves your argument.

Chicago is only dense in a few areas, and when you consider the entire metro, Chicago is clearly behind LA. There is a lot of confusion about the actual city core, and the metro area, in a lot of these threads on C-D.

Isn't Chicago like half of the size of Los Angeles? But LA only has 1.1 million more people within the city limits. That's all I'm really saying.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Parts of North Philly are pretty desolate and sparse, but there are plenty of other areas that remain solidly built-up. Is there patchiness in parts? Yes, but I'd argue that there is still a consistent 10 sq. mile boundary of consistent urbanity in Philly, even if it is far from a perfect rectangle.

Even so, every city has relatively dead zones. Here are a few examples for DC in what would be part of the consistent 10 sq. mile boundary.

https://www.google.com/maps?q=washin...,58.15,,0,2.72

https://www.google.com/maps?q=washin...66.69,,0,-0.89

https://www.google.com/maps?q=washin...13.15,,0,-5.98

On another point, I'd argue that DC is pretty solidly built overall, but in many instances there is a lack of pedestrian intimacy. In other words, there are many large monolithic buildings that create kind of a lackluster experience for vibrancy. Here is a prime example:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=washin...128.59,,0,2.07

From my perspective and experiences, even though Philadelphia is admittedly "patchier," the areas that are more consistently built-up have a much more intimate and engaging pedestrian experience -- with smaller blocks and narrower buildings with varying heights and building types:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=philad...171.3,,0,-6.09

Are we talking about Chicago and San Fran or DC? Also, not that it matters, but those areas outside of the bridge over rock creek park (really) don't look that way in DC anymore. There are multiple buildings under construction in Mt. Vernon Triangle and at Howard University. Also, do you know how many areas like that exist in North Philly?

Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
So some of you are seriously saying there are 10 square miles that have people (and a huge mass of them) at all hours of the day walking around, day in and day out, from one built up neighborhood to the next, in almost uniform liveliness (for majority of the area, understandably not all) in Seattle or Baltimore?

Seriously? I've lived in the DMV area for a while now, I go to Baltimore every single time I want to get seafood, and seriously? 10 contuously built up square mileage of nothing but European style pedestrian liveliness from one area to the next? Sometimes I even wonder if Washington fits that quota.
OKAY THEN....BESIDES NEW YORK...WHAT CITY DOES?

Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have trouble undertanding how thi does not qualify as dense urban continuity

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And these areas have more than just residential and are not all ingle residence by any means - many are multi unit. and this is an area with totally orgnanic mixed use - Before people even had a name for it

Corner Pub | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Now this styling has its pluses and minuses but MD may be one of the only people who does not this to be dense, continuous and urban.

MD has a form that is basically DC contruct i the model that all others are compared to and sets the frames such that it compares all to the DC development style - DC is more the outlier on many aspects due to many influences from the Gov't etc.

KidPhilly, When did I say that wasn't urban? Saying something is more urban than something else doesn't mean that the lesser urban building or street isn't urban at all. I mean, if it isn't urban, what is it? Suburban? When have I every said that about anywhere in Philly?

Let me ask you, is that corner pub you posted more urban than this:

D.C. Urban Neighborhoods away from downtown
14W Apartments in MidCity - Washington, D.C. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Philly Urban Neighborhoods away from downtown
Corner Pub | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Two things can both be urban even though one is more urban than the other. Also, my criteria for urbanity is the same criteria planners and architects use in D.C., Boston, Philly, NYC, Chicago, L.A., San Fran, ATL, Houston, Dallas, etc. etc. etc. and that can be seen in all the developments being built across the whole country. Nobody is building parking lots and calling them urban. Nobody is building driveways in the front of houses and calling that urban. Nobody is building strip malls with parking lots and calling that urban. In fact, building parking garages above ground isn't as urban as building them underground either. I could go on and on about what criteria is used to design an urban redevelopment or ground up development in 2014 and the characteristics you seem to think do not detract from a cities urbanity are the very characteristics that are being eliminated.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^ Come on MD - that comparison is silly - I grabbed a corner bar more because am just saying it is not all residential - yes much of the city looks like that. DC goes to single homes and less urban much more quickly than does Philly

there are many more urban choices I could have cherry picked outside the DT in Philly and many far less urban than your example for DC - not sure your point there honestly

You have a specific criteria that is what you want to use - fine - many disagree and I mean you are even saying that somehow U City loses urban connectivity from CC etc.

And honestly I no idea what you are even getting at with your last paragraph.

And we will disgaree on which city is more urban, so be it

You present an academic view that to me misses the reality many times

Old 02-23-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
^^ Come on MD - that comparison is silly - I grabbed a corner bar more because am just saying it is not all residential - yes much of the city looks like that. DC goes to single homes and less urban much more quickly than does Philly

there are many more urban choices I could have cherry picked outside the DT in Philly and many far less urban than your example for DC - not sure your point there honestly

You have a specific criteria that is what you want to use - fine - many disagree and I mean you are even saying that somehow U City loses urban connectivity from CC etc.

And honestly I no idea what you are even getting at with your last paragraph.

And we will disgaree on which city is more urban, so be it

You present an academic view that to me misses the reality many times

Which is why I said Philly is more urban as a city. Don't you remember me saying that? I said the following:

Most Urban Downtown: Philly
Most Urban Core: Washington D.C.
More Urban City: Philly

Problem with that is for this thread, D.C. has the more urban core therefore the more urban 5 mile X 2 mile footprint. Make it 10 miles X 10 miles, it's not close and Philly comes out way ahead.

I didn't say U City loses connectivity from Center City, I said 5 miles north-south loses connectivity to Center City.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
So it can only 5 x 2

why not 3 by 4 etc.

and to me Broad street maintains urban conistency for its whole way could probably say the same for market as well

both cities have an urban core, one more intense and one a little more spread - is what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City