Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Could you explain your aerial, please? It doesn't contradict anything I wrote.

You realize this aerial doesn't show anything related to ground-level density, doesn't really show street level anything, and comprises like .5% of LA, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
lol
It's true, and by a longshot, notwithstanding the ridiculous claims in this thread. LA's activity centers are heavily weighted to the Westside, and not even close.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Highly doubtful, your first measurement was only 5 miles so can't wait to see the next one, you think the highest magic urban streetwall or whatever criteria it is today in NYC is in Brooklyn and do not want to include anywhere north of the Central Park border. On a warm day there are probably more people walking around in the grass in Central Park than anywhere in DC.

Not an urban street wall here, nothing to look at, I see two 5 story buildings that breaks up the perfect street wall, therefore not urban. I'd rather have a bland government building like DC with no retail everywhere. Also above Central Park and only 120k ppsm, but not perfect rectangle.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._York_City.jpg

Couple things.....

I already said and you know even if you don't want to admit it the map of DC was supposed to go to the end of Capitol Hill on H street. I have posted that measurement so many times everyone on city-data.com should have it memorized and measured. It's 5 miles. As for NYC, since when does DC come anywhere near NYC in urbanity? Did someone say that? What does having a ton of people in the grass have to do with urbanity? I guess Woodstock is one of the most urban places in the world huh? Shoot, if we are talking about the built environment, what do people have to do with it? Architects don't look at population density when they look at urban design. This is getting ridicoulous. I'm just going to stop because sometimes I forget this is the internet and not the professional world.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM

437 posts, read 628,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
It's true, and by a longshot, notwithstanding the ridiculous claims in this thread. LA's activity centers are heavily weighted to the Westside, and not even close.
Well the core for one has much more pedestrian activity, older stock of apartments with little to no parking, better transit, less space between buildings, and of course higher densities, however if you're talking activity such as seeing affluent white people walking around then yes West LA has the core of LA beat.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
lol
Yeah I kind of stopped listening to him when in another thread he tried to say that the Grove "is 100 times better than DTLA".

I'm not going to see eye-to-eye on many things with someone who prefers a shopping mall to an authentic downtown.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 PM

437 posts, read 628,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Yeah I kind of stopped listening to him when in another thread he tried to say that the Grove "is 100 times better than DTLA".

I'm not going to see eye-to-eye on many things with someone who prefers a shopping mall to an authentic downtown.
I think its safe to say he's never been to LA and has been spewing BS this whole time.

Last edited by dispo4; 02-24-2014 at 09:34 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Well the core for one has much more pedestrian activity,.
Not true, Hollywood/Highland has, by far, the highest pedestrian activity in Southern California, and Third Street promenade area has far, far more consistent day/night pedestrian activity than anywhere on the East Side. The Grove too for day/night activity.
Quote:
older stock of apartments with little to no parking
Partially true, far more old apartments, but that's not really relevant to anything we're discussing; and you're wrong about parking. Tons of parking. Actually much easier to park on the East Side than on the West Side.
Quote:
better transit
True but irrelevant. 90%+ of LA residents drive. You measure activity levels by driving, not buses, which carry the poorest residents, and only a small fraction of overall riders.
Quote:
less space between buildings
Usually not true, because East Side has more gaps. Definitely not true for commercial corridors. There are far more gaps on Alvarado Street than on Hollywood, or Rodeo, or 3rd Street, or even Melrose/Beverly/Robertson/LaBrea
Quote:
and of course higher densities
Usually not true structurally, often true in terms of per-person density, but not really relevant.
Quote:
however if you're talking activity such as seeing affluent white people walking around then yes West LA has the core of LA beat.
This is, of course, a silly comment. The West Side has the East Side beat, for everyone non-poor, not just white people.

It's not like non-poor Asians, Hispanics and Blacks are hanging out on Alvarado Street instead of Third Street Promenade, which isn't surprising, as Alvarado is an after-hours dead-zone compared to Third Street, which is packed at 10 PM, when tumbleweeds are blowing down the street downtown and environs.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

We were discussing shopping, and yes, the Grove is 100 times than better downtown LA, which is why the Grove has gigantic day-night crowds, and downtown LA has very little shopping.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
I think its fair to say he's never been to LA and has been spewing BS this whole time.
Or maybe just really old. The Westside has more wealth for sure, but its aging, stagnant, and boring. There is a general acknowledgement that DTLA and the eastside is where its at these days. Whenever an international fashion boutique opens a stateside outpost, its in DTLA. Whenever one of the big chain retailers decides to do a flagship store, its in DTLA. Whenever an LA restaurant gets voted best restaurant in America, best new restaurant, etc., its in DTLA. And when the Ace finally opened their LA hotel, there was never any question what neighborhood it was coming to.

Love that aerial you posted. I remember when that guy posted a whole thread over at SSP...stunning pics. I need to dig it up.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I think its fair to say he's never been to LA and has been spewing BS this whole time.
I live in Southern California, and it's pretty clear that some of the posters on this thread, yourself included, have either never been to LA, or are just making up stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City