Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 04:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
Yes I agree that his statement was off base, but who's saying Wilshire is the most urban street in LA besides him? Personally I don't like Wilshire, and there are far more interesting urban streets in the core, all I did was call out a home depot for a home depot. You have to understand Radio is a recent transplant from Houston so pretty much anything in LA looks urban to him.
I did not even bother to look at the google map, just saw the address, there are several big box stores around there, not just home depot. Yes Houston to LA is a big upgrade as much as Houston posters think they are like LA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
For MD - visually would thi look like it would be part of the core continuous urban sapce?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I did not even bother to look at the google map, just saw the address, there are several big box stores around there, not just home depot. Yes Houston to LA is a big upgrade as much as Houston posters think they are like LA...
For me LA was upgrade from everywhere else I've lived, including Philly, DC, and London. But different strokes for different folks. Its certainly not for everybody.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
I think the only other big box store in the area is a Food 4 Less, which is in the same shopping center. That complex is a bit of a head scratcher, it feels pretty out of place in the area. I think we see it demolished and redeveloped in e next few years as the gentrification train pushes westward.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think the only other big box store in the area is a Food 4 Less, which is in the same shopping center. That complex is a bit of a head scratcher, it feels pretty out of place in the area. I think we see it demolished and redeveloped in e next few years as the gentrification train pushes westward.
I'd say we'll hear a proposal to redevelop it within 5 years. Look at all the projects within a few blocks:

1111 Wilshire
(4 blocks from Home Depot)
Residential - 210 Units
Completed 2013

Bixel/Lucas
Residential - 648 units
Retail - 40,000 sq ft
Breaks ground 2014

The Valencia
(1 block from Home Depot)
Residential - 218 Units
1501-1521 Wilshire
Breaks ground April 2014

1027 Wilshire
(5 blocks from Home Depot)
Residential - 376 Units
Retail - 6,500 sq ft
Office - 5,000 sq ft
Breaks ground - ?

1435 W 3rd Street
Residential - 122 units
Retail - 2,000 sq ft
Breaks ground 2014

Good Samaritan Hospital Expansion
(3 blocks from Home Depot)
Hospital - 190,000 sq ft
Under construction, complete in Q2 2015

Not to mention that the tallest building west of Chicago is being constructed 7 blocks away

Old 02-25-2014, 06:52 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
That big box center is relatively new, and is probably some of the highest income-producing retail in that portion of Wilshire. It's always very busy. The chance of it being demolished are probably slim-to-none.

Also it's hardly "out of place". There are shopping centers all over the place in this portion of LA.

I don't get all this LA defensiveness. Everyone on this thread knows that LA is auto-oriented, Westside-oriented, and retail center-oriented. Yet a few self-appointed "LA truth squad" defenders have to try and swat down any poster that even hints at this obvious reality.

There's nothing to apologize for. LA is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Overall, it kills every U.S. city except for NYC. Stop trying to think you can fool everyone into thinking that LA is Baltimore or Milwaukee or something (not sure why anyone would want this, but that's another question), and embrace LA as it actually is. LA doesn't have a traditional core, it doesn't have traditional spatial layout, and that's fine.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
People didn't gives examples of Wilshire from 16 miles away, some were only 6 or so miles from downtown. But you want an example, here ya go:

Broadway. 17.5 miles of it:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...a=1,5&t=m&z=15

13.3 miles north on it:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...12,45,,0,-5.27

a bit further north:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...86.05,,0,-4.24

a couples miles north from the downtown start:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...3.32,,0,-17.98

The Bronx section near its end has a few surface lots:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...83.89,,0,-8.82

but many blocks don't:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...9.85,,0,-10.88

further north in the Bronx its bordered by a big park but still lots of apatment buildings with some detached homes and townhouses mixed in:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...,2.18,,0,-4.69

Now north of NYC in Yonkers about 17 miles from the start

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...58.63,,0,-2.06
Broadway al the way to Yonkers, 17 miles from Wall Street, is far more urban than any block of Wilshire anywhere in LA.

But it's a poor comparison anyway. Broadway is one street of many. Wilshire is a linear corridor. One block off Wilshire and you can be in suburbia, even a few miles from downtown, one block off Broadway in NYC/Yonkers and the built form isn't really different from directly on Broadway.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
That big box center is relatively new, and is probably some of the highest income-producing retail in that portion of Wilshire. It's always very busy. The chance of it being demolished are probably slim-to-none.

Also it's hardly "out of place". There are shopping centers all over the place in this portion of LA.

I don't get all this LA defensiveness. Everyone on this thread knows that LA is auto-oriented, Westside-oriented, and retail center-oriented. Yet a few self-appointed "LA truth squad" defenders have to try and swat down any poster that even hints at this obvious reality.

There's nothing to apologize for. LA is one of the greatest cities on the planet. Overall, it kills every U.S. city except for NYC. Stop trying to think you can fool everyone into thinking that LA is Baltimore or Milwaukee or something (not sure why anyone would want this, but that's another question), and embrace LA as it actually is. LA doesn't have a traditional core, it doesn't have traditional spatial layout, and that's fine.
It does until about Crenshaw....West of that is more spaced out. I don't think people realize that LA was built in 3 ways. First by the Spanish with Diagonal streets, Then In a grid Pattern when you get to Alvarado, Then In a More Suburban Fashion once you get to about Crenshaw. Then,The Westside is like a bunch of Small cities: Beverly Hills, Culver City, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc; with dense Downtowns of their own.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:

This area is a walkers paradise also, score of 91. More than much of Brooklyn and parts of Manhattan. Chicago is not even in discussion.
8326 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills CA - Walk Score
This is actually a good illustration of why Walkscore kinda sucks.

Wilshire in Beverly Hills looks very walker-friendly and indeed it has farily consistent street wall and lots of attractions. It's certainly the densest street in in the city. At the same time, it's probably the least pleasant major street in Bev Hills from a pedestrian perspective. Traffic is heavy, loud, and moves fast, the sidewalk is not very pleasant, there are not that many pedestrians, and most of the retail is entered from the back (parking lot) side.

If, for example, you go to the department stores, the main entrance is on the back, facing the parking lots. When you enter from the street (sometimes you can't even enter from the street, BTW), you are entering the back of the store, not the front.

All that said, Bev Hills does have some very good pedestrian streets, but to the north of Wilshire, in the Golden Triangle area. But, from a walker perspective, it won't rank even close to the walker quality of major urban neighborhoods in most cities.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Great post. MichiVegas is an old OC coot. Best to just ignore this poster.
Yeah, you sure got me. A 33-year-old coot. All those 18-and-over coots think they know it all, with their stats, and worldview, and education. Better to just post a bunch of irrelevant GQ articles and ignore facts; that'll show em...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City