Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think the only other big box store in the area is a Food 4 Less, which is in the same shopping center. That complex is a bit of a head scratcher, it feels pretty out of place in the area. I think we see it demolished and redeveloped in e next few years as the gentrification train pushes westward.
I meant the Chicago area had them, not LA. There are a bunch over by Canal/Roosevelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:15 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I don't get all this LA defensiveness. Everyone on this thread knows that LA is auto-oriented, Westside-oriented, and retail center-oriented. Yet a few self-appointed "LA truth squad" defenders have to try and swat down any poster that even hints at this obvious reality.
You keep making statements like "everybody knows", yet you don't speak for everyone. And then when I break down why the generalizations you're spewing are wrong and literally provide linked citations for each one, you don't respond to my post. I'm keep waiting...it's right here.

You either are completely unaware or simply refuse to recognize the fact that LA's center of gravity has shifted eastward, and every year the shift continues and the pace that its happening speeds up. If you made the above statement 20 years ago I would completely agree with you. DTLA was a dump. But like every other city in this country, preferences have shifted away from suburbia and back to "city living" and there is a flood of investment back into Downtown LA. Your Westside-centric view of LA was accurate 20 years ago but times have changed. Read Curbed to see where all the big development is happening. Read Racked to see where the boutiques are opening. Read Eater to see where the hot restaurants are popping up. Read the news and see what part of town the Korean, Chinese and Canadian developers are pouring their money into.

This isn't a difference in opinion. Its you referring to acknowledge facts that are right in front of your face.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 02-25-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
You keep making statements like "everybody knows", yet you don't speak for everyone. And then when I break down why the generalizations you're spewing are wrong and literally provide linked citations for each one, you don't respond to my post.

I'm still waiting. It's right here.
He has no thing for you except more typical outdated generalizations and misconceptions about LA. He reads like an east coast yuppie who still writes stuff like "no one walks in LA", "there's no culture " and "no one is from LA".

How long has been since people on this board visited LA? Wilshire is pretty urbanized. I don't see how anyone would not see that driving down it.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
You keep making statements like "everybody knows", yet you don't speak for everyone.
I'm just stating facts; your subjective opinions are irrelevant when we already have Census data.
Quote:
And then when I break down why the generalizations you're spewing are wrong and literally provide linked citations for each one, you don't respond to my post.
You have never posted such a thing. You posted a bunch of silly GQ articles, a restaurant review, and blog postings about LA property values rising and the like. There's nothing to respond to, because nothing you posted is an actual source of anything, and nothing you posted contradicts anything I wrote.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
He has no thing for you except more typical outdated generalizations and misconceptions about LA. He reads like an east coast yuppie who still writes stuff like "no one walks in LA", "there's no culture " and "no one is from LA".

How long has been since people on this board visited LA? Wilshire is pretty urbanized. I don't see how anyone would not see that driving down it.
Your idea of urban is Houston as dispo said so, I'm sure it is like Tokyo in comparison.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Your idea of urban is Houston as dispo said so, I'm sure it is like Tokyo in comparison.
Houston is the city that I think you all are thinking of when you think of LA.

And LA reminds me the most of a south Asian city mixed with a Latin American such as Manilla or Mexico City. Sprawled but dense and urban.

I only mentioned neo-Tokyo from the fictional anime movies because at night LA lights up and is a town full of vibrant ethnic areas that resemble more of a blade runner esque neo noir future than a Gotham city like NYC or Chicago.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You have never posted such a thing. You posted a bunch of silly GQ articles, a restaurant review, and blog postings about LA property values rising and the like. There's nothing to respond to, because nothing you posted is an actual source of anything, and nothing you posted contradicts anything I wrote.
Get back to me when the Koreans are building 73 story skyscrapers and the Chinese are building multi-billion dollar mixed use centers on the Westside you old fart. Maybe they'll build one at the Grove for you

Old 02-25-2014, 07:31 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Houston is the city that I think you all are thinking of when you think of LA.

And LA reminds me the most of a south Asian city mixed with a Latin American such as Manilla or Mexico City. Sprawled but dense and urban.

I only mentioned neo-Tokyo from the fictional anime movies because at night LA lights up and is a town full of vibrant ethnic areas that resemble more of a blade runner esque neo noir future than a Gotham city like NYC or Chicago.
Lived in a megacity out there.

I don't see it but what do you mean?

Old 02-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

I've only been to Manila a long time ago and while it didn't match exactly with LA it did remind me of it a bit. Just that it was big, spread out and had many clusters of high rises. The character of LA with its larger Asian and Latino population really gives it that flavor.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

He Probably means the County Of LA which is more apt to the Tokyo Comparisons as LA county essentially operates as one huge Mega City with multiple major nodes: DTLA, Wilshire, Century City, Beverly Hills, Glendale, Burbank, Warner Center, Culver City, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Long Beach, El Segundo; Not to mention all the spots in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City