Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seattle is not really any newer than Los Angeles but much more centralized. Vancouver is nearly as dense as Los Angeles, similar in age, and more pedestrian-friendly and again more downtown oriented.
That has more to do with the dismantling of the streetcar system in favor of being an auto centric city, which was a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's true, but the area around LA DT is about 600k people, 85% hispanic/5% white/5% asian/5% black though so kind of predominantly one demographic except for a few areas in downtown and echo park. Density also pretty high, but poor and low levels of education compared to the rest of the city.

Population:

92000 boyleton
26600 lincoln heights
125897 east la
27849 downtown
42324 pico union
103839 west lake
40455 echo park
9610 chinatown
23596 university park
49728 historic south central
40947 alameda

from mapping LA, seems to be the areas within 1-2 mile radius of DT give or take.
Wikipedia 2000 census? This is 2014. Things have definately changed in 14 years.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Wikipedia 2000 census? This is 2014. Things have definately changed in 14 years.
DTLA gained 50,000 people between the 2000 and 2010 censuses. And those gains were mostly because of the adaptive reuse ordinance which allowed all the old bank buildings and garment factories to be turned into lofts. Things have picked up greatly since 2010 with the construction boom that kicked off a few years ago. I fully expect the 2020 census to show that 75-100k additional residents have moved to DTLA between 2010 and 2020.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
This is all wrong, and not relevant to anything we're talking about. But if you want to carry on about alleged gangs in Westwood, or when a place was first developed, or how buses allegedly didn't go downtown after the trolleys were removed, go ahead, I guess...
If it's all wrong, prove me wrong. Show me something legitimate to prove to me how wrong I am. Not going to happen...

You went down this path. I mentioned the street cars and the decline of the core in reference to the overall design of the city.

There was a legitimate gang problem on the westside, especially Venice. I know this because I grew up there. While it did not generally affect Westwood Village, it was a gang related fatality that killed the vibrancy of Westwood area. It's been dead for just over 20 years.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
A multicultural moment: Downtown L.A.'s population evenly split - latimes.com

Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
That has more to do with the dismantling of the streetcar system in favor of being an auto centric city, which was a shame.
The other cities dismantled streetcars as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
If it's all wrong, prove me wrong. Show me something legitimate to prove to me how wrong I am. Not going to happen...

You went down this path. I mentioned the street cars and the decline of the core in reference to the overall design of the city.

There was a legitimate gang problem on the westside, especially Venice. I know this because I grew up there. While it did not generally affect Westwood Village, it was a gang related fatality that killed the vibrancy of Westwood area. It's been dead for just over 20 years.
A Murder That Woke Up L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I only arrived in LA in 2009 so I missed out on when Westwood was a lively place. I would have had no idea that it was ever anything more than the boring place it is now if not for the occasional Curbed articles like "What can be done to bring Westwood back from the dead?" etc. Its weird to think that Westwood was a destination at some point.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The other cities dismantled streetcars as well.
Other cities are smaller and had better planning post streetcar? The streetcar is what held the city together. There was the core with smaller nodes scattered throughout the area.
While the freeway additions of freeways and busses were "progress" it could not keep up with the population gains of the city. As a result, LA became more sprawled and less pedestrian friendly.

Not sure what you want to hear?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Other cities are smaller and had better planning post streetcar? The streetcar is what held the city together. There was the core with smaller nodes scattered throughout the area.
While the freeway additions of freeways and busses were "progress" it could not keep up with the population gains of the city. As a result, LA became more sprawled and less pedestrian friendly.
I think the opening of Expo Phase 2 is going to be pivotal. A lot of the people who don't ride Metro currently are going to have their "aha" moment when they realize they can take the train from Downtown to Santa Monica and vice versa. To me this is even more important than the Red line because of the symbolism of finally having a rail connection again from DTLA to the sea. Ridership is going to go bonkers. I for one am going to be using it all the time. I hardly go to Santa Monica at present because who wants to sit in traffic on the 10? But give me a train where I can kick back and browse Reddit during the journey and I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City