Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

It's more of a safety issue and lack of interesting things to do. LoL at classist, please, do not give me that hippie nonsense, I am just being real. Obviously if the area is 99% latino, people in LA aren't talking with their feet either. I like balanced areas, and those areas are anything but, they are very low on the diversity scale for LA overall standards. I have done the whole volunteering in bad neighborhoods thing, but why would somebody openly choose to live there. Almost everybody there would leave if they had the means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 01:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Commercial or industrial areas can be gentrified, though it's the types of businesses that will get displaced. All those cheap Hispanic-run stores on Broadway aren't going to last forever.

Yes, it seems more benign when commercial cores or industrial areas get gentrified, though it can change the surrounding areas as well. And the way things are going, who knows what area is next in LA. Now that a lot of NE LA has gentrified(Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park, Eagle Rock) and downtown is becoming "hip", even Boyle Heights is starting to change apparently--so perhaps the next move will be into Westlake/McArthur Park areas, there's already density and it's close to downtown.

(Or is that area already gentrifying? It wasn't last time I was in LA last year, but things change really quick)
Yeah it is gentrifying a bit. Temple in Westlake has seen some proposals for new mixed use buildings, and the area known as "City West" along the Harbor Freeway is starting to develop to the west, while Koreatown's development is pushing east. I actually considered some apartments in the area due to its proximity to DTLA but ended up vetoing it due to poor / average walkability and not a ton of housing options.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I think that a certain amount of safety comes with walkability. So areas that are lower income that have better urban design might be less walkable at night due to safety issues. This certainly was the case with most of DTLA, and still the case in skid row areas. I believe areas like Westlake, Boyle Heights and Historic South Central will be continue to get safer for pedestrians as more amenities pour in these areas.
Safety and walkability aren't related in my mind. New York City was still very walkable even when 2,200 lives were snuffed out in a single year.

This is plenty walkable. The question is whether you put your head down as you walk through a gang of corner boys blocking the corner, make eye contact as you walk through and say "What up?" or cross the street altogether and avoid the smoke from Newports and Phillie blunts? What do you think?

One possibility is yelling out "Narcos!" if you get too uncomfortable.

Ratchet philly fight final - YouTube

Old 02-27-2014, 02:27 PM

437 posts, read 628,998 times
This whole percentage thing is a bit flawed IMO, first of all people need to understand that nearly half of LA's population lies in the San Fernando Valley which really knocks down the percentage of what most of us consider LA. Cities more intertwined with the "real LA" like Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and even east like Huntington Park and South Gate feel more LA than anything out in the valley. I live here in Seattle and in no way would I consider it more walkable than Chicago or Philly, sure you can go by percentages but really it doesn't tell the real story as cities with larger borders and higher populations get knocked down due to it with the exception of NYC which is a different beast. One more thing as well is that the 90 walkscore penalizes poorer areas since many things it looks for only really exist in higher income areas, most things that are not needed on a daily basis.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
One more thing as well is that the 90 walkscore penalizes poorer areas since many things it looks for only really exist in higher income areas, most things that are not needed on a daily basis.
That's true. Baltimore is a good example of this. Structurally, it's about as dense as Philly and denser than DC in some respects. But it's suffered massive population loss and many neighborhoods probably have more checking cashing stores than grocery stores. Then if you had to factor in drugs and homicide, its walkability score would drop through the floor.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:35 PM

I must have missed who was saying Seattle is more walkable than Philly or Chicago?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I must have missed who was saying Seattle is more walkable than Philly or Chicago?
Red John's list of cities ranked by % of population living in 90+ Walkscore neighborhoods has Seattle above Philly and Chicago. The same list y'all keep saying is the definitive indicator of walkable urbanism.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Red John's list of cities ranked by % of population living in 90+ Walkscore neighborhoods has Seattle above Philly and Chicago. The same list y'all keep saying is the definitive indicator of walkable urbanism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
First, walkscore obviously is not the sole barometer of urbanity. There are a lot of other things that go into the quality and intensity of urban environment (eg public transit, structural density etc).
Right.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Ummm, I have been arguing AGAINST walkscore the entire time lol.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Safety and walkability aren't related in my mind. New York City was still very walkable even when 2,200 lives were snuffed out in a single year.

This is plenty walkable. The question is whether you put your head down as you walk through a gang of corner boys blocking the corner, make eye contact as you walk through and say "What up?" or cross the street altogether and avoid the smoke from Newports and Phillie blunts? What do you think?

One possibility is yelling out "Narcos!" if you get too uncomfortable.

Ratchet philly fight final - YouTube
I can agree with that. LOL. DTLA is more walkable than I thought!

DTLA is almost like an island, separated from other neighborhoods by freeway underpasses and the LA river. Hopefully, planners can find a way to connect the neighboring areas to Downtown better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City