Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And correct me if I'm wrong, but you live in LA, right?
I live 40 miles south, but I am in LA frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times
I wish that people would take time to listen to locals instead of thinking they know a city they don't live in on a day to day basis.

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It was built for the streetcars first. Then accommodated for automobiles. Koreatown is walkable but is not very pedestrian friendly - it may sound like a contradiction but it does make sense as Ktown is high in amenities but does have pedestrian-hostile form in places (especially south of Wilshire, which seems to be the part of the neighborhood you are focusing on).
Wait, so you understand this? For many of us being pedestrian friendly is a minimal consideration for calling a place walkable, they are insperable. You need a) places to walk to b) pedestrian friendly design. For my own personal preference, I'd take pedestrian friendly design and weight it far higher.

I think we need better semantics here.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It was built for the streetcars first. Then accommodated for automobiles. Koreatown is walkable but is not very pedestrian friendly - it may sound like a contradiction but it does make sense as Ktown is high in amenities but does have pedestrian-hostile form in places (especially south of Wilshire, which seems to be the part of the neighborhood you are focusing on).
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.

-Some smart drunk.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I think another way to think about this is what is the primary mode. Can you walk in Koreatown - absolutely. Is it the same type of environement as some others being discussed, probably not but has many aspects similar.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
And that's a fair point to make. I just don't really agree with it. You could have a neighborhood loaded with amenities where the majority of people drive to them. And you could have a neighborhood that doesn't have many amenities where you see many more pedestrians. And that can be true because the average Baltimorean becomes a pedestrian virtually anytime they walk out of the door whereas someone living in an auto-centric city often walks to the off-street parking either under or behind the building they live in.

Moreover, it's a much easier task to gentrify a neighborhood and then open up new businesses in previously shelled out buildings (as what's happening in DC) than it is to (a) have to gentrify a neighborhood and then (b) work on structural/design issues.
Well to each their own. If you prefer semi-abandoned neighborhoods with few amenities but quaint walkability over somewhere dense, amenity rich but lacks that quaint urban form then that's certainly understandable. But realize to others amenities are important, even one's in two story strip malls.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
And correct me if I'm wrong, but you live in LA, right?
Lol, please validate my opinions LA poster!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wait, so you understand this? For many of us being pedestrian friendly is a minimal consideration for calling a place walkable, they are insperable. You need a) places to walk to b) pedestrian friendly design. For my own personal preference, I'd take pedestrian friendly design and weight it far higher.

I think we need better semantics here.
Yes I understand this and personally don't care all that much. Maybe it is because the part of the city I really got into walking (Allston / Brighton) does not have excellent urban design either. I do have a baseline standard too - I am not going to want to walk around a bunch on a street that is straight-up pedestrian hostile (just as an example say Jamboree Road in Irvine). I have friends that live in Lakewood, CA and while there are a few big-box malls within walking distance from their place, I doubt I would walk there all that much, maybe just to go out to eat and for some exercise.

However I find that the parts of Los Angeles I have lived in offer more than that baseline as far as urban design (and there is a reason I have picked Pasadena and Hollywood as my LA neighborhoods). Yes there are holes in the fabric (on a very micro level - it is very common to have street-facing street-wall retail through the middle of the block with a strip mall or gas station on the corner), but it is not so egregious that it stops me from walking a few blocks. Add in the fact that parking in Los Angeles is not as easy as some make it out to be, and there is quite a bit of incentive to walk for my errands. Also, this is a little bit silly, but pulling my car out of our garage is such a pain that it really stops me from driving places. Those garages are designed to fit the maximum number of cars into a tiny footprint - it often forces the users to make 20 point turns just to get out of the garage.

But yes I do think there are a lot of people in LA who have the default thinking to drive everywhere. This is changing at a decent rate though.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I live 40 miles south, but I am in LA frequently.
Mission Viejo? :: Wall Township, NJ : NYC.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well to each their own. If you prefer semi-abandoned neighborhoods with few amenities but quaint walkability over somewhere dense, amenity rich but lacks that quaint urban form then that's certainly understandable. But realize to others amenities are important, even one's in two story strip malls.
It's not about "quaint" walkability. There's nothing really "quaint" about Baltimore. And I never said anything about my preference. I said that amenities don't really matter as far as walkability is concerned because you can have a high concentration of amenities with relatively weak pedestrian life and high(er) car usage. In other words, you can have a place like Koreatown that has a higher population density than Bay Ridge, more "amenities" than Bay Ridge, but yet feel completely different walking down the street. Bay Ridge only has 819 restaurants, bars and coffeeshops compared to Koreatown's 2,020, but there is a dramatic difference in pedestrian culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City