Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. That's funny. I just figured I'd do some independent verification since your claim didn't pass the smell test. I simply went down Vine from Hollywood Boulevard and called each place that had surface parking (there were a lot of places). And all of them were free.

So again, you either don't drive much, or you don't know much about the city you purportedly live in.
Dude takes dozens of photos and posts them on Skyscraperpage on the reg. He definitely lives in DTLA (I know what building he lives in from his photos).

And yes he probably does not drive much, he lives in DTLA. I didn't drive much in Hollywood and I would imagine the need to drive is even less downtown. I haven't driven my car in Pasadena in two weeks, and I live in a suburb of LA.

And again I find it unlikely these places (other than the soon-to-be-demolished Vagabond, which lives up to its name in spades) would be cool with you just parking your car and leaving it there all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Oh and one thing to note - all of those places are near Melrose and Vine, not really close to Hollywood Blvd - 1.25 miles from the Pavilions to Hollywood Blvd. And I sure as hell am not going to leave my car in the CVS parking lot in industrial district of Hollywood all day. Surprised they said you can park there all day, the CVS parking lot at Cahuenga and Yucca was hardcore about towing people that parked there for non-CVS reasons.
Actually, the FedEx Kinkos next to the Chipotle is about 0.3 miles away from Hollywood Boulevard. I simply went down from Vine and called places with surface lots. When I called, the people seemed either amused or annoyed that I was asking.

You would never be able to find that much surface parking in Park Slope. And it certainly wouldn't be free.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
And again I find it unlikely these places (other than the soon-to-be-demolished Vagabond, which lives up to its name in spades) would be cool with you just parking your car and leaving it there all day.
I don't think they meant you can just leave your car all day while going to work for 8 hours. It just means there's no time limit.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Actually, the FedEx Kinkos next to the Chipotle is about 0.3 miles away from Hollywood Boulevard. I simply went down from Vine and called places with surface lots. When I called, the people seemed either amused or annoyed that I was asking.

You would never be able to find that much surface parking in Park Slope. And it certainly wouldn't be free.
Nobody is arguing with that. In fact nobody every said anything remotely close to that. Still doesn't make driving in LA nearly as convenient or practical as you are making it out to be. I am pretty astounded by your arrogance that you think you can tell a bunch of people that actually live here that driving is a breeze and that we don't know what we are talking about. As far as how long you can park in those lots, I would wager you could leave your car there for an hour before they tow it - especially for the Fed Ex, Office Max and Taco Bell.

And yes you are right the Fed Ex is pretty close to the Boulevard, I used to walk there when printing my tickets on my way to go to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery for shows and screenings. One time I saw Adam Scott picking up food at the Chipotle next door.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Nobody is arguing with that. In fact nobody every said anything remotely close to that. Still doesn't make driving in LA nearly as convenient or practical as you are making it out to be. I am pretty astounded by your arrogance that you think you can tell a bunch of people that actually live here that driving is a breeze.
But the workers on the phone made it sound very convenient. I even asked the girl at FedEx if finding a parking space would be a problem. She said that parking was pretty easy to come by during the course of the day.

I'm sure traffic is bad, but that doesn't mean parking is. If New York had parking at most of the places I like to go to, then I'd drive a whole lot more than I already do.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
I'm still amazed you actually took time to call these places to prove your point. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on C-D care that much to do that. Talk about an obsession LOL.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm still amazed you actually took time to call these places to prove your point. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on C-D care that much to do that. Talk about an obsession LOL.
Believe it or not, it's actually faster than creating an Excel spreadsheet.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Sounds like due diligence to me.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
You must not drive that often. I called the following places in Hollywood and asked if they had free parking. All of them do.

FedEx Kinkos on Vine (validation...girl on the phone sounds like she's cute)
Office Depot on Vine (free)
Pavillions on Vine (free)
CVS on Vine (free all day)
Giant Dollar Store on Vine (free all day)
Taco Bell on Vine and Lexington (free)
Vagabond Inn on Vine (free..one car per room)
Ralph's on North La Brea ("Yes, of course, we have free parking!")

That's a lot of free parking within a few blocks distance of Hollywood Boulevard. In fact, most people seemed rather amused by the question.

The question is more like where would I have to pay to park in Hollywood?

They are very strict about parking in this area of Hollywood. Free all day is more like "park here for about 90 minutes IF you can find parking. Any longer than that and your car will be TOWED....and don't you dare act like you are going to another building or your car will be TOWED" (They have attendants monitoring everything)

I remember working temporarily in this area for a job and being amused by this. I had parking.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
They are very strict about parking in this area of Hollywood. Free all day is more like "park here for about 90 minutes IF you can find parking. Any longer than that and your car will be TOWED."
The difference between Brooklyn, DC or Boston is that if I drove to the closest FedEx, it wouldn't have any parking at all. So 90 free minutes of off-street parking sounds pretty good to me. That's a whole lot better than circling the block for 30 minutes.

And this is one of the most urban parts of LA. That would be like going to Back Bay and just pulling into the parking lot of 30% of the businesses you go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City