Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

I feel as though I am at a crossroads in my life and am struggling to decide whether to stay in Sioux Falls, South Dakota or move to Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona. Looking for feedback from people that have made similar moves and advice.

Questions:
Is the job market good in the Scottsdale area? Will I be able to find a good job in my field?
Is the summer temperature bearable? Do people typically stay inside all summer?
I have a German Shepherd dog, is this area pet friendly? What will I struggle with in the summer with my dog? Other things to consider for dog owners in this area?
I have heard the Scottsdale area can be "snobby" and not as friendly... Is this true?
What to expect with cost of living change.
Pro's and Con's
Other things to consider.

Background Info:
I am a 26 year old single female.
I have a Bachelor's of Arts: Business Administration (Management & Marketing); Communications Studies; Minor in Sociology. I also have my Master's in Business Administration.
Expertise: Event Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Fundraising, Non - Profits, Business Development

I would appreciate any information.

Thank you!

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM

993 posts, read 1,770,417 times
Is there a particular reason you are only looking at Phoenix/Scottsdale?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,213 times
Different Climate
Big city feel but not too big.
I have a friend that lives there and likes it.
I have heard Pheonix is a good place to go for young professionals from the Midwest.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,693 times
Hey Jamie I live in the Phoenix area so I'll try to help as much as I can. First of all the Phoenix area is HUGE! You're going from a small city to a large one so be prepared to deal with big city problems (traffic, crime, etc). Not gonna lie summers do suck and last for a long time but after the winter you guys have had in the Midwest 110 might not feel so bad. The summers aren't that bad though I mean think about it you go from your air conditioned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned workplace.....it's not like you're spending a great deal of time outdoors. Phoenix is just as pet friendly as anywhere else and people have every dog breed here. Obviously it's best to let your dog indoors during the hottest part of the day during the summer months and only let them out in the early morning hours and when the sun goes down. If you have to leave them out in the heat make sure they have a nice shady spot and put PLENTY of ICE COLD water out for them and buy one of those cheap kiddie pools at Walmart so your dog has a cool wet place to hang when they get hot. As far as Scottsdale goes it is our upper class area and is basically our desert version of Beverly Hills. The "snob" thing is overrated it's a nice area full of all kinds of people and has some of the best resorts and restaurants in this country. The cost of living will be higher than Sioux Falls just by virtue of it being a larger city but still relatively cheap and affordable to live here (well...Scottsdale is expensive if you plan on moving there think LA prices). Phoenix is a great city though. The only thing you might miss is the change of seasons which is nonexistent here and you may or may not get tired of the big city atmosphere. It's not really a "Homey home town kind of place" it's a very transient city and pretty suburban for the most part. There's great Mexican food though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City