Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,150,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Detroit actually has several colleges within the metro area including University of Michigan (which is one of the best public schools in the US), Wayne State University (which is academically similar to Clemson, Wake Forest, and Georgetown), College for Creative Studies, Lawrence Tech, and Oakland University. So it definitely would not belong on that list.

Minneapolis has the University of Minnesota which is a public ivy.
Yes, Detroit has an abundance of universities..University of Michigan - Ann Arbor being the premier university of the region. The city has a lot of universities. U of M Ann Arbor, U of M Dearborn, Oakland U, Wayne State, U of Detroit, Eastern Michigan, Lawrence Tech..Don't forget U of Windsor just across the river and now U of Toledo and Michigan State are opening Campuses in the city. Plus, a whole host of colleges. While Wayne State has a good Medical School, it is not anywhere near Georgetown or Wake Forest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 PM

370 posts, read 864,375 times
I am not sure who defines the "Public Ivies". There are only 8 ivy league schools yet there are way more than 8 public schools which claim to be public ivies. Seems to be a disconnect there.

Let's take my homestate's flagship University of Texas. It's a good state school that is a bargain for in-state students, but its acceptance rate is close to 50% and it has almost 40,000 undergrads.

The term public ivy seems to be a bit of stretch for many of these schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Detroit actually has several colleges within the metro area including University of Michigan (which is one of the best public schools in the US), Wayne State University (which is academically similar to Clemson, Wake Forest, and Georgetown), College for Creative Studies, Lawrence Tech, and Oakland University. So it definitely would not belong on that list.

Minneapolis has the University of Minnesota which is a public ivy.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,897,065 times
I think given the general worthlessness of bachelor's degrees nowadays, it is worth taking into account a university's graduate level rankings as well as their overall national ranking (which weighs undergraduate heavily).

Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,799,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I think given the general worthlessness of bachelor's degrees nowadays, it is worth taking into account a university's graduate level rankings as well as their overall national ranking (which weighs undergraduate heavily).

I don't think my degree was worthless at all. I have just as much knowledge and more experience than those who go back and get their Masters right after undergraduate.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,216,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I don't think my degree was worthless at all. I have just as much knowledge and more experience than those who go back and get their Masters right after undergraduate.
Totally agree -- especially if people go back to get their masters and have no idea what it is they want to specialize in or focus their skills on! Unless I KNOW I'm going to be in a certain field for the rest of my working life, I don't see the point in going back and getting a masters, not when everybody else and their mother is getting one and it doesn't really differentiate one candidate from the next. I'd much rather be spending my time in the field learning invaluable best practices that no school is going to teach.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

347 posts, read 458,909 times
One definition of "Top School" is whether they belong to the American Association of Universities (see wikipedia page for a good ref). No definition will be perfect, but if creating a thread like this, it might be useful to add a guideline to remove some ambiguity (and arguments).

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

21,781 posts, read 12,922,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
6. Boston CSA: Harvard, MIT, Brown, Boston College, Tufts, Brandeis, Boston University, Northeastern (Dartmouth?)
Dartmouth is 126 miles from Boston. Its not a school in the Boston orbit.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

7,445 posts, read 6,607,588 times
Phoenix, Portland, and Denver also come to mind as cities without a “top” school, none of which are higher ranked than University of Miami (67th) or even SMU (89th) per USNWR. University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) is ranked 57th—not sure I would consider it a “top” school. My definition of a top school would be within the top 25 (possibly top 30)

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...l-universities

Last edited by elchevere; Yesterday at 08:50 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

563 posts, read 276,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Phoenix, Portland, and Denver also come to mind as cities without a “top” school, none of which are higher ranked than University of Miami (67th) or SMU (89th) per USNWR. University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) is ranked 57th—not sure I would consider it a “top” school. My definition of a top school would be within the top 25 (possibly top 30)

I would agree with those three for sure. Though I think Denver area has the School of mimes.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

696 posts, read 505,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Phoenix, Portland, and Denver also come to mind as cities without a “top” school, none of which are higher ranked than University of Miami (67th) or even SMU (89th) per USNWR. University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) is ranked 57th—not sure I would consider it a “top” school. My definition of a top school would be within the top 25 (possibly top 30)

While not one of the top schools ranked by the US News Report, iThe University of Minnesota is a member of the prestigious AAU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City