Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

79 posts, read 184,099 times

Advertisements

Iv lived in minneapolis and thought it was the most boring city ever. I couldnt figure out how it could be so pretty yet everyones energy made me feel like everyone there was dead inside

anyways I have also been to chicago and while I was downtown I never felt more alive!! I LOVED the vibe and ENERGY of the city!!

I am not sure if portland or seattle has either of those vibes although seattle has a BEAUTIFUL skyline...like minneapolis thats not all it takes to have a great vibrant city

I would move to chicago but im very tired of the snow I grew up in wisconsin. Iv also toyed with the idea of phoenix, az, houston, tx and new Orleans, LA

I just want a vibrant city other than NY and chicago. i am leery on seattle and portland because i like sunshine but i dont know how cloudy days will effect me on a long term basis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM

178 posts, read 419,551 times
DO NOT go to Houston. Seattle and Portland are awesome! Look at nearly every list online about which city has the happiest residents, most stuff to do, and a lot of other things. You will see Seattle and Portland popping up more often than not. But really its up to you. I have a lot of family from Minnesota and ND that moved to Washington sometime in their lives. There are actually a surprising number of Midwesterners in the Northwest altogether. Why that is beats me. But overall, I think you will really enjoy a move to somewhere in the NW. The climate is a LOT more moderate than the Midwest is, and that makes up for the cloudier months.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,874 times
If Minneapolis is too boring for you, Houston and probably Portland will definitely be too boring for you and Phoenix will not even be on the same scale. Seattle and Minneapolis are very similar. Portland and Minneapolis are also very similar, but Portland is considerably smaller. It sounds like very few cities are going to meet your standard of "vibrant," to be honest. You might try Philadelphia, Boston, or San Francisco. Maybe DC or Miami.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 PM

79 posts, read 184,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
If Minneapolis is too boring for you, Houston and probably Portland will definitely be too boring for you and Phoenix will not even be on the same scale. Seattle and Minneapolis are very similar. Portland and Minneapolis are also very similar, but Portland is considerably smaller. It sounds like very few cities are going to meet your standard of "vibrant," to be honest. You might try Philadelphia, Boston, or San Francisco. Maybe DC or Miami.
i would LOVE to move to miami but I feel its a smaller wanna be version of LA...I'm hoping its not but thats the impression I get. I would love to live somewhere tropical BUT I am overweight and would have to lose a lot before i go there, or maybe lose weight when I get there?? IDK, miami skyline is beautiful and the cluns stay open until 5am so I'm game lol

Old 02-25-2014, 11:18 PM

474 posts, read 531,453 times
San Francisco is just on par with Chicago when it comes to vibrancy and it has plenty of sun as well (just the western half of the city is foggy). I'd recommend it, too, but out of the cities you've mentioned I'd pick Portland because it's smaller than the others but just as fun and equally quirky.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,540 times
Portland and Seattle are both wet and gloomy for much of the year. I grew up in Oregon and I found the weather depressing, I had to take Vitamin D Supplements. Some people are not affected by it though. Both cities are very green and beautiful, lots of nice mountain view, rrolling hills, and forest.

Never been to Houston so I can't comment much about it. But I believe that Texas can get very humid and sticky in the summer time, so that's something you may have to consider. It's probably more sunny though, not sure what the topography or scenery is like. Seattle is the bigger city I believe, I'm a city slicker as well and need the energy and hustle and bustle. I like places that feel alive lol.

Maybe you should look at the Bay Area? Here it's sunny aside from the morning fog in San Francisco. Lots of natural beauty, tons of big city life, lots of opportunities too. But housing is expensive here, but we do get paid more as well so it works out. Stay out of Oakland though, that place is a dump.

Out of the places you listed, I would choose Portland because I could remain closer to family.

Last edited by West Coast Republican; 02-26-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM

213 posts, read 388,814 times
What an odd and off balance comparison. It seems like Austin, or Dallas should also be included. I love Seattle and Portland, but not more than the do it big with southern hospitality, spice, and international flair vibe that Houston has.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Considerably? I don't know that that's exactly accurate. The population of the Portland metropolitan area is about 80% the of the Minneapolis (393K population)-St. Paul (290K population) area. Which, considering MSP is two separate cities combined, doesn't really make the one city of Portland (602K population) "considerably smaller."

Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 PM

305 posts, read 416,944 times
I lived in Seattle for a couple years. And take my word. Dont listen to Northwestern natives opinion on Seatlle/Portland. Most of them act so gloomy and dark in person. Just like the weather and its no denying it. Yes, the weather affects the residents. Thet will argue this with you to the grave. When we all know, if you keep hearing about it.... Its gotta be some truth to it.

Now is it a bad place? Heck no. If you're a quiet guy who wants some peace n mind , with not much interaction with others. But want to enjoy a nice looking, laid back city, Seattle ALL DAY.

But if you're like me and more a people/open/friendly environment person. Stay out. And btw I hope you're not single. Dont even bother with Seattle women. I'm sorry ladies but its true. Most of em want a man with two PHDs and a big house in Queen Anne before anything else. Too uptight for me.

Houston is def my choice, have a friend out there (who was with me in Seattle) and loves it. I hear its kinda a workers city/laid back, but also friendly and extroverted. And lots of sun. Literally the opposite of Seattle.

Downside? terrriiibbllleee traffic. Some claim its kinda dirty due to all the oil industry biz and the heat will tear you up if you're not used to it. And coming from MN you may be shell shocked. It gets HOT BABY. Ive been in Georgia for 7 years (from ohio) heat still kicks my ass.

And You said Arizona? Yoy can cook eggs on the cement out there, no lie, and NO is super humid Id bet. But you could get used to it. Just add about 50 bucks to your budget a month for the AC, LOL

Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
BlackSheep, speak for yourself on Seattle. Of all the cities I've ever lived Seattle by far has the coolest, friendliest most down to earth people. Always struck up conversations with strangers at the coffee shop. My neighbors were great. Always had great relationships with my neighbors, unlike my neighbors in DC. Never had problems with women in the dating department. Being black was never an issue. To me Seattle felt like a breath of fresh air compared to the cold pretentiousness of DC where I came from. The weather was never a problem for me. That too felt like a breath of fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City