Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pedestrian life compared to Brooklyn?
Greater 7 10.29%
Same 4 5.88%
Less 57 83.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,574,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
yes fair points (I think Bajan (I guess in some ways a fellow hometime Philly kid) created this and am sure had an air of fu in the premise) though munch and ray proport nonesense and try to play it off as rational lately on these walking and continuity threads. Bajan likes to jab at LA so they generally seem to entertain each other.

My "you"se" guys" was probably more at those two more specifically

Ray actually provides some very interesting stats on very regular occasions and munch is in love with LA (think the weather and lifestyle can do that, whats not to love) and also adds many valuable aspects but the LA is a wlakers paradise mantra and has s imilar lifestyle to more truly wwalking cities is just nonsense IMHO

Hell we all have our biases - sometimes the vomiting homeless guy in front of the boarded retail in the core of Philly is overlooked by me for a great piece of architecture above it - none of us are immune I suppose - I would like to think I bring some reality to discussions but you are free to disagree... (its my reality anyway right)
Fair enough. FWIW - I would never characterize Los Angles as a whole to be a walker's paradise. Portions of it are, for those individuals smart enough to take advantage of it. But I think the only real valuable takeway to be had from a comparison like this is when one aspect of either or both is examined in a new light, and that doesn't necessarily need to be taken as evidence in answering the silly question asked.

Anyway, LA is better city in which to drive. Traffic be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,646,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Fair enough. FWIW - I would never characterize Los Angles as a whole to be a walker's paradise. Portions of it are, for those individuals smart enough to take advantage of it.
I think that's what irked me so much about the way several of the posters here have been ragging on LA. Do I think LA as a whole is walkable as NYC? Of course not. Not even close. But if you want to live a walking, urban lifestyle here, you can. Easily. And I don't mean you have to be some kind of against-the-grain zealot. You just need to have common sense. Live in a place like DTLA, Hollywood, Culver City, K-town, Long Beach, or Santa Monica that is transit accessible and that has all the amenities you need within walking distance. Don't take a job where the only option is to drive there. Obviously some people don't have a choice, but I'm willing to bet that there are a lot of Angelenos that complain that "you need to have a car to survive here" that created their misery themselves by by taking that high paying job at the other side of the city, or buying that cheap house in the Valley, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Anyway, LA is better city in which to drive. Traffic be damned.
I avoid driving to run errands like the plague, and usually don't have to. Now driving for pleasure is something I absolutely love, and something that LA pretty much beats anywhere at. There's nothing better than cruising along Mulholland Drive, Angels Crest Highway, or the PCH taking in the views and enjoying the weather. I used to have a Vespa before wifey convinced me to sell it, and cruising through the hills on that thing was pure pleasure. The only place I've found so far that matches LA for gorgeous, scenic driving is Route 1 from Miami to Key West, hopping over all the bridges from key to key. But that's more of a long distance thing, not something within a city that you can get to at a moment's notice.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 03-04-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,557,408 times
So if I lived in Santa Monica and walking around, but want to go downtown and walk, then to Hollywood. How much time is that going to eat up w/o a car?

Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,887,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
So if I lived in Santa Monica and walking around, but want to go downtown and walk, then to Hollywood. How much time is that going to eat up w/o a car?
A long time. Even when the Expo line is finished it would be about 45 minutes or more from SM to DTLA and 30 from DTLA to Hollywood. So I guess that isn't terrible, and a trip from Lower Manhattan to Williamsburg ( got it right this time) to Coney Island is also a pretty substantial chunk of time. I guess the biggest difference is that parking would be way easier and cheaper in LA then NYC and traffic is probably slightly better / faster.

Kid Philly I'm hurt you think one been posting a lot of nonsense Though I like the youse guys comment, and for the record I don't think LA is a walkers paradise, though there are some very great walking areas that are larger and more frequent than many think.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,998,316 times
Quote:

Faster than it would be to drive

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,887,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Faster than it would be to drive
I don't know about that. Depends on the time of day of course.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,557,408 times
Coney Island most definitely takes awhile to go to, other intra-neighborhood travel is relatively fast though esp on Express lines. Only problems are during rush or late at night.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,998,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't know about that. Depends on the time of day of course.
When it really counts...rush hour

Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,437,516 times
Quote:
Santa Monica is 16 miles from DTLA. The subway stop could literally be outside your residence, it's still going to take a while to traverse that many miles via transit.

Hollywood to DTLA takes about 20 minutes, excluding wait times.

I find the ratio of amenities to people in some of Central LA's neighborhoods fascinating. Mid-City West for example has 1/3 the population of Bushwick, but roughly 33% more restaurants/bars/coffee shops. Brooklyn is obviously more urban/walkable, but L.A. Might be even more underrated than I initially thought.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-04-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,646,970 times
Quote:
Will be 40 minutes from Santa Monica to Downtown via the Expo line.
Then 15 or 20 minutes to Hollywood via the Red line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City