Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pedestrian life compared to Brooklyn?
Greater 7 10.29%
Same 4 5.88%
Less 57 83.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
The funny thing is that until yesterday, I would have said that Brooklyn has more pedestrian activity, no question. I'm not all that familiar with Brooklyn, but my grandmother was born and raised Sheepshead Bay and always spoke of how lively the neighborhood was. I always just assumed it had nearly but not quite as much pedestrian activity as Manhattan.

But then yesterday, a few of the forumers posting here (Grapico, MichiVegas, and BajanYankee) spent about 40 pages over on this thread trying to argue that Los Angeles isn't walkable and hardly has any pedestrian activity. To prove their point, they kept posting videos and streetviews of Brooklyn, and eventually created this poll to prove their point. Checking out the videos and streetviews, I was surprised to find that Brooklyn resembles Los Angeles in terms of density, number of pedestrians on the street, and overall layout (blvds with commercial strips surrounded by residential) far more than I thought it would. Its certainly more similar to Los Angeles than it is to Manhattan in terms of pedestrian activity, and I even think LA might have the edge.

So I want to thank you 3 guys for the education! I now have a better perspective on what Brooklyn is actually like thanks to you, although probably not in the way you intended.
Funny, my uncle lives in Sheepshead Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
^^ Those videos posted weren't really reflective, at least of Williamsburg. I'll try to shoot some video next time I'm in the area. I shot some today in Manhattan showing what I thought was average activity in Herald Square, in "winter" and 35 degrees no less. I'll up it later probably, but the computer I'm using now takes too long to render and stabilize 1080p. Meh... nm not waiting this long for a street video...shaky it is.
May I ask why? It's a 10 minute clip and the guy covers a large segment of the neighborhood. Maybe the clip takes place early in the morning, I dunno. But it is what it is.

An Extensive Tour Of Brooklyn on Bicycle Williamsburg Part 31 - YouTube

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM

437 posts, read 629,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
May I ask why? It's a 10 minute clip and the guy covers a large segment of the neighborhood. Maybe the clip takes place early in the morning, I dunno. But it is what it is.

Funny thing is that if one of us would say something like that the hounds would be all over us.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Checking out the videos and streetviews, I was surprised to find that Brooklyn resembles Los Angeles in terms of density, number of pedestrians on the street, and overall layout (blvds with commercial strips surrounded by residential) far more than I thought it would. Its certainly more similar to Los Angeles than it is to Manhattan in terms of pedestrian activity, and I even think LA might have the edge.
The average density of Brooklyn is much higher than Los Angeles; only a few spots of Los Angeles are similar to an average Brooklyn neighborhood. The commercial streets generally have no parking and continue block after block. Some streets do feel not that different from non-skyscraper parts of Manhattan, but yes it's usually lower in busyness.

Here's another scene:

Saturday Night Fever Opening Intro (1977) - YouTube

Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The average density of Brooklyn is much higher than Los Angeles; only a few spots of Los Angeles are similar to an average Brooklyn neighborhood. The commercial streets generally have no parking and continue block after block. Some streets do feel not that different from non-skyscraper parts of Manhattan, but yes it's usually lower in busyness.

Here's another scene:

Saturday Night Fever Opening Intro (1977) - YouTube
Are you being serious with this video

Old 03-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

I think I saw more people in this small clip then that entire 11 minute Brooklyn video.

2 Minutes on N. Broadway and Ord - YouTube

Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
^ it just isn't, like I said, I will go shoot a video. Here is one from today in Manhattan. Sorry for the shakiness. might want to click on it instead of viewing it on forum. And gasp, it is in winter! Why are these people out when it is 35 outside? I'll put another one up in a bit focusing just on crosswalks mainly.

[vimeo]87970670[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/87970670

I consider this to be "average" business, though it gets much busier, it is like this all day everyday.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
^ it just isn't, like I said, I will go shoot a video. Here is one from today in Manhattan. Sorry for the shakiness. might want to click on it instead of viewing it on forum. And gasp, it is in winter! Why are these people out when it is 35 outside?

[vimeo]87970670[/vimeo]
[vimeo]87970670[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/87970670

I consider this to be "average" business, though it gets much busier, it is like this all day everyday.
I didn't know Manhattan was in Brooklyn

Old 03-01-2014, 10:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
It's a continuation from the block by block thread discussion... that seems to have died. Also it's probably the most dead time of the year right now.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
It's a continuation from the block by block thread discussion... that seems to have died. Also it's probably the most dead time of the year right now.
That's a different thread, this is LA vs Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City