Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would do you prefer?
California (LA, SF, SD) 66 63.46%
Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,816,595 times

Advertisements

Why is it that as "multi cultural and diverse" as these Canadian cities are,none of them have had anything but white mayors?

LA has had black and Hispanic
San Francisco has had Black,Hispanic,Asian,Woman
San Diego has had Jewish,Woman,Hispanic.

From what I have seen such diversity is not found in the mayors of these Candian cities.

Why is that?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,285,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why is it that as "multi cultural and diverse" as these Canadian cities are,none of them have had anything but white mayors?

From what I have seen such diversity is not found in the mayors of these Candian cities.

Why is that?
Check your sources before ya post afonega1.

Calgary's mayor Naheed Nenshi has a south Asian background.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 AM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by suptho View Post
California in every category you mentioned, except maybe crime? But if you live in a halfway decent area in California you don't have to worry about crime any more than in Canada, so I guess you could say CA beats Canada in every category. Oh, and you forgot the most important category: weather. This one is obvious. I would never consider moving to Canada for the weather alone (among many other things).
Huh,
...and you live in Champaign, Illinois....not exactly a place with great weather (climate),
not exactly Californian weather, LOL.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,716,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Check your sources before ya post afonega1.

Calgary's mayor Naheed Nenshi has a south Asian background.
Don't mind her. She seems like she is looking for trouble or to start an argument. If you look at her recent posts which are almost all Toronto/Canada related, it shows that.

I'm not sure why she thinks ethnicity of a mayor determines whether a city is multicultural and diverse. LOL.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,741,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Huh,
...and you live in Champaign, Illinois....not exactly a place with great weather (climate),
not exactly Californian weather, LOL.
fail to see how living in Illinois automatically disqualifies someone from saying "Canada has bad weather". Bad weather is bad weather irrespectively of where the speaker lives.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Don't mind her. She seems like she is looking for trouble or to start an argument. If you look at her recent posts which are almost all Toronto/Canada related, it shows that.

I'm not sure why she thinks ethnicity of a mayor determines whether a city is multicultural and diverse. LOL.
Olivia Chow may become Toronto's next mayor.
She is Chinese and was not even born in Canada.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 AM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
fail to see how living in Illinois automatically disqualifies someone from saying "Canada has bad weather". Bad weather is bad weather irrespectively of where the speaker lives.
True....but if weather is such a big deal for poster...there are a lot of places with better
weather than central Illinois. Why isn't the poster living in California?
Instead is living in an area of the US that arguably is not much better in the
weather/climate department than southern Ontario.
IMO making a blanket statement "Canada has bad weather" is false.

Parts of US midwest have to endure worse storms than anywhere in Canada,
for example tornado alley, you couldn't pay me to live there.

Though I must say there are areas of California where the weather is hard to beat,
....once you get past the brush fires, earthquakes, and drought

Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,716,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Though I agree with you, the poster said weather was the "most imporant" factor.
If that's the case, they shouldn't be living in a tiny Midwestern city which has similar weather to various parts of Canada (unless it's for reasons we don't know about).

Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Though I agree with you, the poster said weather was the "most imporant" factor.
If that's the case, they shouldn't be living in a tiny Midwestern city which has similar weather to various parts of Canada (unless it's for reasons we don't know about).
Champaign IL is a university town. he could be a UIUC student waiting to get out there the minute he graduates.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,221,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

Why is that?
Canada has less people. The chances of it happening are lower because of that.

But answer me this: if Canada was not diverse, as it seems you are saying, then why does Toronto have half of its population born outside Canada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City