Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,745 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm 19 years old and I'm from a very rural area near West Palm Beach, Florida. I've been accepted to University of South Florida and University of New Mexico and I'm still trying to decide, I know both universities are very different location-wise but I'm considering New Mexico because it's Sign Language Program seems to be better than USF's and UNM's program also is newly accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education where as USF's is not.

Anyways, my main question is how good a school is University of New Mexico? I see a lot of people complaining about it but according to US News and World rankings USF is at #170 where as UNM is at #181 so they're not too far apart. I also love the outdoors as well so that's another point for me, that and the lack of humidity and change of scenery.

(I should also mention I got the Amigo Scholarship so the cost is about the same for both universities besides maybe the plane ticket cost.)

Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 03:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMatchouffet View Post
I'm 19 years old and I'm from a very rural area near West Palm Beach, Florida.

I also love the outdoors as well so that's another point for me, that and the lack of humidity and change of scenery.
I am very aware of the West Palm Beach area. The change of scenery will shock you. You really need to come out to visit...

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM

To clarify again I'm from a very rural town with mostly dirt roads called Loxhatchee which is a big scenic different from the ritzy West Palm Palm Beach as well but I definitely am hoping to visit before. It'll just be a lot to fly out three times (to see if I like the campus, then again for orentation, then move-in) but hopefully I can fairly soon so I'm not too jarred.

Last edited by MelodyMatchouffet; 03-03-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,720 times
I found UNM to be a better school for the adult learner....you hopefully will visit and tour the campus before deciding.

Completely different culture from the rest of the country. I lived there for over ten years but I don't think I would have liked it if I was younger.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Okay thank you, maybe not then. It's too bad because their Sign Program is supposedly so good.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,640 times
I currently go to UNM on the same amigo scholarship (from orange county, CA). From the two semesters I have attended UNM has been a fantastic school. The campus is beautiful and the professors have been personable. I personally know of many students that are majoring in speech therapy and the sign language programs - they are very popular here.

You should really visit. EDIT:: For your undergrad don't pay too much attention to rankings and what not. Look for a school thats convenient, affordable, and practical to your needs.

Last edited by JakeDG; 03-04-2014 at 01:20 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDG View Post
I currently go to UNM on the same amigo scholarship (from orange county, CA). From the two semesters I have attended UNM has been a fantastic school. The campus is beautiful and the professors have been personable. I personally know of many students that are majoring in speech therapy and the sign language programs - they are very popular here.

You should really visit. EDIT:: For your undergrad don't pay too much attention to rankings and what not. Look for a school thats convenient, affordable, and practical to your needs.
Great to hear that transferring to UNM was a good move, JakeDG! It's been a while.....how would you feel about it if you had to stay on campus?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,939,051 times
I don't want to be too specific (for identification reasons) but although I haven't taken sign language classes at UNM, my impressions are that it is a good program. Anecdotally, I have even seen more signing on campus than I would expect.

You have probably already seen this (I know you mentioned the fact the program is accredited), but just in case:

Signed Language Interpreting Program Touted by Accrediting Body :: The University of New Mexico

Quote:
I found UNM to be a better school for the adult learner....you hopefully will visit and tour the campus before deciding.
This is puzzling to me, because the undergraduate student body seems to primarily be typically "college aged."

Of course, I agree that the OP should visit the school and the city before making a decision.

I know nothing about U. of South Florida, but I'd tend to pull for UNM in this case, on the basis of the strength of the sign language program and the near equivalent ratings of both schools overall. And New Mexico is different, but that could be a plus or minus depending on what your experience of the state is (partly determined by you).

Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times
When I went to UNM there weren't all that many "adult learners".

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 PM

89 posts, read 270,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMatchouffet View Post
Okay thank you, maybe not then. It's too bad because their Sign Program is supposedly so good.
DO NOT make education decisions based on what you hear on a message board.

Go where your heart tells you to go, and which school/program you think will prepare you better for the real world in your chosen field. USF is decent school (my bro went there way back in the day), but lets face it…… the only dif between it and your home now is the college aspect of it. Not really spreading your wings that way. If you are an adventurous soul, come to New Mexico and give it a shot. You'll TOTALLY experience something new and it will greatly broaden your "social" as well as "educational" horizons.

You may fall in love with the area and never leave (a very distinct possibility), or you may decide that it's not your cup of tea, in which case, you'll move on in 4 short years after college and be all the richer for the time you spent here, and be educated too. I came from a very different place (upstate NY), and I love it here (never leaving). Granted, I was older (40s), but still it's not so overwhelming that you won't quickly get used to the drier air, higher elevations, etc….. I certainly wouldn't let that scare you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: