Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,044,101 times

Advertisements

California is not going to split up, I don't know why people keep talking about it. We're not going to do it.

The state with the starkest regional differences physically speaking would probably be Hawaii and California.

Hawaii has a wet and lush windward side of every Island, and a dry sunny leewardside of every island, and the differences in scenery and weather between them is quite dramatic!

California, while we have an overall Mediterranean climate, has a lot of variation from Mountains, hill sides, redwood forests, high deserts, beaches, plains etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,291,810 times
California, easily. The difference between San Francisco and LA, the Central Valley vs. the Central Coast, the hippie redwood forest territory of Northern CA vs. the republican desert terrain of the Southeast, etc. etc. Try comparing Lake Tahoe with Bakersfield. Or San Bernadino with Arcata. Palo Alto with Turlock.

California has the regions with the starkest differences in terms of physical terrain, culture, and values.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,232,265 times
Eastern Shore vs. the rest of Maryland lol

Of course, why stop there?

Western Maryland seems like an extension of West Virginia and Appalachian Pennsylvania.

The parts of Maryland that are in the Baltimore area feel very different from the parts of Maryland here in the DC area.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I gave David_J rep. I agree completely. When I travel from Pittsburgh to the Maryland/VA coast, its a different world. When I'm in Garret/Allegheny County, MD I feel as though I'm in Pittsburgh's countryside. DC/Baltimore has a very strong east coast vibe. Once you cross the Chesapeake, it almost feels like the south to me.
I agree. Plus, the Eastern Shore definitely seems to have a rather distinct kind of Southern vibe as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
The Baltimore-Washington corridor. DC and its suburbs are very different from Baltimore and its suburbs. DC is much cleaner and more gentrified than Baltimore. DC has minimal urban blight. Blocks and blocks of Baltimore consist of nothing but boarded up old factories and abandoned rowhomes. DC doesn't even have a skyline. DC is very status conscious, pretentious and has much wealth in most of the Northwest half of the city spilling out into surrounding Montgomery County in towns like Bethesda. Baltimore is very ghetto with everybody trying to get into your car like its a taxi cab to run a "hack". Heroin has ravaged swaths of Baltimore as dope fiends can be seen leaning at bus stops and sidewalks throughout the city. About half of DC is ghetto as well, but in a much more understated unsuspecting way much like California ghettos with very little visual blight and often empty daytime streets with seemingly well-maintained homes just with bars on the doors and windows.

Culturally, black DC natives and black Baltimore natives are very, very different. Black DC natives dress very different and have their own fashion trends (i.e. Helly Hansen jackets) as well as their own local style of music Go-Go, which is quickly dying because of gentrification of the District. Black Baltimoreans have their own music as well which is completely different in Baltimore Club music which is basically a local style of ghetto House music. Black Baltimoreans, as a whole, care much less about clothes than black DC natives. Many black Baltimoreans still wear played out 90's/early 2000's fashions like super baggy jeans and tall tees. Baltimoreans who do dress well often have similar style as black Philadelphians and some black New Yorkers who have a somewhat outdated more classic East Coast urban style (i.e. Pelle Pelle leather jackets). Baltimore and DC even have different ghetto carry out food corner store culture. DC is home of Mambo sauce. Baltimore is home of chicken boxes and half-and-half ice-tea/lemonades. Baltimore is also much more ghetto as a whole than DC. In Baltimore, you will see people drinking alcoholic swill in the middle of the day out of black plastic bags even walking downtown near Lexington Market. In DC, you don't see stuff like that unless you go to the heart of the hood in places like Anacostia. Predictably, the black natives of both cities generally don't like each other.

The DC Area does not have a sizable population of lower middle class or working class blue collar white people. White people in the DC Area work white collar office jobs and are upper middle class or wealthy coming from old money. Baltimore has large lower income white populations in the city, proper, in areas like Hampden and Pigtown as well as in surrounding Baltimore county in communities like Lansdowne, Essex and Brooklyn. Anne Arundel County is also home to a solid middle class of blue collar white workers. Baltimore suburbs are much less materialistic and status conscious than DC suburbs. In DC suburbs, people brag about their level of education and the prestige of their jobs. Even in Baltimore's wealthiest suburbs in Howard county, rich people tend not to be pretentious or brag about their levels of education or what they do for a living.
Now this is the best description! Can't rep you unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,597,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think most states have regional differences.
Rhode Island and Delaware, AFAIK sort of don't, but that's more of a function of size than anything. For states that are a bit larger, maybe New Mexico and Wyoming could fit the bill of being relatively homogenous.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 AM

215 posts, read 385,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I like to look at places like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Rochester as inland northeastern cites as oppose to mid-western cities.
I live in Buffalo and can say we consider ourselves northeastern. WE ARE northeastern! Just because we share some traits with the Midwest(I stress "some") does not make us a midwestern city. Ditto for Pittsbugh. I personally think we have a lot in common with Canada/Ontario as well, but that does not make us Canadian either.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Missouri is the only state I can think of that you can see a rust belt city and cotton fields in the same state.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,497,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
I live in Buffalo and can say we consider ourselves northeastern. WE ARE northeastern! Just because we share some traits with the Midwest(I stress "some") does not make us a midwestern city. Ditto for Pittsbugh. I personally think we have a lot in common with Canada/Ontario as well, but that does not make us Canadian either.
I'm sorry, Buffalo, but you're not "a northeastern city." You're a Great Lakes city. You are similar to Milwaukee, Cleveland, Detroit. That's a much better comparison than Boston and New York. If I were you, I wouldn't even want to be considered northeastern. Great lakes cities are fantastic places.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,438,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Rhode Island and Delaware, AFAIK sort of don't, but that's more of a function of size than anything. For states that are a bit larger, maybe New Mexico and Wyoming could fit the bill of being relatively homogenous.
Delaware most certainly does. I'd say RI does too to a lesser extent (North vs South)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City